Mother's Day

23
IainG

Next Sunday is Mother’s Day, also sometimes called 'Mothering Sunday', in the United Kingdom. For many mothers and their children it is a very special day and one day of the year when we all remember to thank our mums for looking after us and we celebrate their lives.

Most countries in the world celebrate Mother’s Day around the middle of May but in the UK we normally celebrate it in March – officially it is celebrated the Sunday three weeks before Easter.

Father’s Day seems to have been created quite recently by businesses that wanted to make a lot of money by selling cards and gifts for the occasion. It is, as a result, often described as being a very commercial holiday. Mothering Sunday, however, is a much older tradition. The Greeks and the Romans celebrated Mother’s Day and some say that it comes from the Bible.

In many families it is traditional to give a present to our mother on Mother’s Day. Very often children give their mothers a bouquet of flowers or a small box of chocolates. Young children are encouraged to make something – a small craftwork or painting – to give as a present. With older children and adults, it can be nice to take your mother out for lunch, or to have a day out together. This is good not just because you are thanking her but because you are showing your thanks by spending time with your mother.

Whatever its origins and however we celebrate this day, what is most important is that we do celebrate it. So many of us spend a lot of time fighting with our mothers – and other members of our families – but it is very rare that we pause and tell them how much we appreciate and love them.

We should celebrate and be thankful to our mothers every day of the year but, unfortunately, we often forget in our busy and fast-paced lives. This is one day of the year when we must not. This is one day of the year when we must all say to our mothers, 'Thank you for everything.'

Is Mother’s Day an important day in your country? How do you celebrate Mother’s Day in your family?

EvelinLizette's picture
EvelinLizette 9 May, 2017 - 02:49

Mother's day is very important in our country because there are many mothers who strive every day, and are very valuable for us.

On May 10th, in my house we celebrate inviting the whole family and eating various dishes such as tacos, enchiladas, pambazos etc.
I personally like it a lot, because that way I can tell my mom how important it is for me.
Most of the time, I give her a perfume, clothes or chocolates.
My mom really likes that day, because it feels special

In our country Mother's day is celebrated I the mid of March.me and my siblings celebrate mothers day by decorating our mom's room and giving cards and gifts to her I love my mother a lot and want to say something to her
dear mother! you're the best in the world and there's no doubt in this! I love you very much you're my biggest inspiration and I've never met any person that can be like you are because you're unique and world's best mom . sometimes I use to open the dictionary and try to find a word like you but still I can't find a word matching you. thanks a lot for coming to my life and making it too special for me . I always wish that every one should have a mother like you! and from my side happy Mother's day to all the moms! :)

In our country mother's is usually celebrated in mid of March. On Mother' Day me and my siblings decorate our Mom's room and make her feel special! Mo doubt she is the most special and important person in my life! I want to share something for my mom!:
Dear Mom! I love you more than any one in my life. you're the best. there is no one like you! Usually i open dictionary to find a word matching you but every time I fail to do so because I can never find one matching you! Thanks for coming in my life and making it too special for me!

Thanks lainG and LearnEnglish Teen Team for giving us a chance to express our feeling and words on different articles thanks alot! I really liked this one!

teacher1989's picture
teacher1989 28 February, 2015 - 09:00

I think Women's Day is an important day in our cauntry, I am going to give pvsent and eat tasty cake!<3:3

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 28 February, 2015 - 11:12

Hi teacher1989,
Thanks for your comment. It sounds like you are over 18. Please note that commenting on LearnEnglish Teens is only for teenagers. You can go to LearnEnglish to comment and interact with other users.
You're welcome to continue using LearnEnglish Teens as a resource, but we need to ensure the comments space is under eighteens only, to make it a safe space for our users to interact.
Thanks and best wishes,
Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)

teacher1989's picture
teacher1989 1 March, 2015 - 06:55

Hi Joanna,
That comment from my student, she is 12. She had no opportunity to register herself. We won't break this save space for teens. My student will try to register by herself and do the best in english using these resources.
Thank you!
Polina

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 1 March, 2015 - 14:02

Hi teacher1989,
Many thanks for your reply and it's great that you are using this site with your students. You're exactly right - She needs to create a unique account for herself. You can help her to do this if she doesn't know how to. I'd like to remind everyone of the House Rules about accounts:

• You are allowed to have only one account and you are responsible for your account.
  • Don’t share your password.
  • Don’t create accounts for other people.

If you want to contact us as a teacher, please click the Contact us button at the bottom of the page, or go to our Facebook page to comment.
Many thanks,
Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)

Esme341's picture
Esme341 22 May, 2014 - 00:07

In my country Mother's Day 10th May, I took my mom to dinner, along with some cousins​​.
It was really fabulous :3

GerardG9's picture
GerardG9 17 May, 2014 - 22:07

In my country we celebrate Mother's Day on May 10, by demonstrating our love with gifts, flowers, songs and beautiful details, we also do party in his honor. Mothers Day is celebrated every day because they are very important to us. I <3 Mom

ledishady's picture
ledishady 13 May, 2014 - 20:12

In my country Mother's Day 8th March in fact it's Women's Day but in Albania this day calles Mother's Day, too.In that day we make different present to our mothers like bouquete of flowers, box of chocolates etc. I usually gift my mother a bouquete of flowers, perfume and l write somthing to thank my mother for everything that she didi for me. ♥ :)

Eichego's picture
Eichego 5 May, 2014 - 23:00

In my country we call it Parent’s day and Parent’s day is important in my country. On Parent’s day we give them presents and carnations. In elementary school they make origami carnations and they give those to their parents.
I think parent’s day is really, really important. Usually, I give my parents presents and carnations.

KimchiSoup's picture
KimchiSoup 5 May, 2014 - 22:58

Korean say just parents’ day. Many students give their parents, flowers and make some food for them and adults are bring their parents to family restaurant or give for them flowers. Many Koreans usually give them ‘carnations’ so many students make their own carnations or buy the beautiful carnations too. I usually make for them my own carnations and cupcakes. I have a lot of fun with my parents.

Theodora's picture
Theodora 3 May, 2014 - 14:03

Mother's Day is very important in my country. We celebrate it giving our mother flowers, chocolates or cards. In my family we like giving her flowers and spend time with her, or sometimes go out in a place that she really likes! This day we have to thank her for all the strength she has and for everything she has done for us!

Konstantina's picture
Konstantina 2 May, 2014 - 15:08

Mother's day is really important in my country ❤ !
We celebrate it every year and we don't forget it! :)
In this special day we buy a bouquet of flowers or cholocates , and to these presents we always add a card expressing our thanks! It's a tradition ;)
Many of my friends book a restaurant table for their mothers but my mother wants to stay at home with me this day and have a nice time with each other ❤
I love her so much and i look forward to this day to give her my present ❤

In Father's day things are more simple, my dad prefers to go a walk or to a nice place with me and not to receive a present because he thinks it's a pity as my mum looks after me but i love him too so, i will buy something for him even if he doesn't want it ^_^

m@tini's picture
m@tini 1 May, 2014 - 18:29

In Greece, mother's day is more celebrated than father's day. In our family we buy flowers and we make drawings and cards .Our mother always loves our presents and she feels touched by our actions.

Elen@'s picture
Elen@ 30 April, 2014 - 14:40

In Greece it is important but not so much as in England. Her husband and her children buy flowers for her and they spend a lot of time with her. When I was little, I made cards to give her.

justcricketforme 30 March, 2014 - 03:09

It's an important day here, mother's day! Every school has a specail assembly for he mothers to come and enjoy. On mother's day, my Mum has a day off from working, me and my Dad take over the house and sometimes we even make a special dinner for her.

MALINE 30 March, 2014 - 02:38

I always celebrate mother´s day,here in México it´s on May 10th and I always give her white roses(her facorites) and earrings,she loves wearing earings.
We like going out for lunch but it´s always too crowded therefore we have lunch out on the 11.

joong's picture
joong 28 March, 2014 - 06:13

A bouquet of roses to my mother on Mother's Day, I want to buy in the future. What idea do you think?Mom, I love you so much

Niluh 25 March, 2014 - 12:42

Mother's day is really important in my country, we celebrate it every year in December 22nd, there are lots of advertisements about mother's day on TV before the day comes too. My family is very straight, i know we love each other but we never say it directly, i only wish all the best for my mum without saying anything to her.