My New Year language learning resolutions

5
JennyBlogger

New Year is a time when many people make resolutions or set goals for the year ahead. This year I have decided to focus my New Year’s resolutions on language learning, as this is something that I really want to improve this year. Here are the three goals that I aim to achieve:

1. Practise little and often. I’m going to try and find little ways to get more language practice every day, for example writing my to-do lists and shopping lists in the language I’m learning and setting my phone to that language. I already follow lots of social media in my target language and I find that this is a good way of reading short pieces of language frequently. I’m going to continue to do this and try to watch at least one video in the language a day to get some listening practice too!

2. Take as many opportunities as possible to practise. Improving your language skills is something that will only happen if you put in the effort and reach out for opportunities! There are so many opportunities available, including videos, podcasts and articles freely available on the internet. I’m going to take the opportunity to listen to or read these whenever I have free time, for example when waiting for the bus to come or for my dinner to cook. I also currently have the great opportunity of living abroad in the country where the language I’m learning is spoken, so I’m going to make the effort to go to local events and talks where I can take advantage of the listening and speaking practice.

3. Have confidence! This is particularly aimed at my speaking skills. So much of your speaking ability is down to how much confidence you have! I’m going to try as hard as I can to think positively and believe in my language ability. When I’m speaking the language and want to say something but am not sure if I know how to say it correctly, I’m just going to go for it! If I do say it wrong, hopefully I will be corrected and I can learn from my mistakes.

What are your New Year language learning resolutions?

Sergelen's picture
Sergelen 21 May, 2017 - 11:19

Even though I live far away foreigner who speak English language try to do practice if I have a chance. In other words in our country has a lot of opportunity to speak English that are some speaking clubs. No matter how far I live from native speakers, where I live, I have to be hopefully for something, "WE CAN !!!." ...

stella09's picture
stella09 13 January, 2017 - 16:31

I don't believe in new years resolutions. I do have goals to achieve, but i don't force myself to achieve it. It's just for fun!

vietanhqt's picture
vietanhqt 13 January, 2017 - 05:30

I really want to improve my English . So resolution helps me know what i do.
1.SPEAK: I speak more and more, with my friends, my teacher and if i have a opportunity i will talk with foreigner. Speaking skills is the most important..(^_^)
2. DO MORE EXERCISEs: grammar, reading, listening skills is difficult so i try my best. everyday, in my free time, listen, learn vocabulary and read some topic (written by foreigner). I want to get good mark in my exam. (O_o)
.I know it's not easy but WHERE THERE IS A WILL, THERE IS A WAY ^^

natz's picture
natz 11 January, 2017 - 07:30

omg this is my new years resolution, i got a new friends, we always hangout on weekend, but am so sad because my english not really good when speak, am not confidence with my self, because am not remembered many vocabulary. and now everyday if i have longer time i always listening music, read some articel and watch tv series. i really hope its work for my english.

Mowww's picture
Mowww 10 January, 2017 - 16:21

My principal resolution for this year is to prepare myself for the FCE exam by improve my english, in different ways, for example read articles about situations in the world in English, of course. I also try to speak but that's not very simple for me (I don't have friends or family who speaks English or better than me).
-----> Please tell me, if there are mistakes