New Year's resolutions!

45
TeresaC

It’s nearly Christmas, and, although it is one of my favourite times of the year, there is something very special about celebrating the New Year after spending time with family and friends over Christmas. Often, I eat far too much over the Christmas break, and so I usually make a New Year’s resolution to go on a diet and do more exercise!!

A New Year’s resolution is a promise you make to yourself to do something good (or to stop doing something bad) in the New Year. When I was younger, these resolutions often involved being nicer to my sister, or helping my Mum with jobs around the house (such as emptying the dishwasher or tidying my room more often). Here are some popular resolutions:

- to eat more healthily or do more exercise
- to stop a bad habit, such as to quit smoking or to stop swearing
- to spend more time with your family
- to be happier!
- to travel or take a trip somewhere
- to learn a foreign language
- to learn how to cook
- to save money
- to read more books
- to make more friends or be friendlier to other people

These resolutions are usually made after Christmas, and they begin on January 1st, the first day of the New Year. Often, they are broken within a few weeks, but sometimes they last throughout the year.

In April, I am going to run the London Marathon, so my New Year’s resolution in 2014 is to train very hard. I am going to try and complete my training programme without missing any days, and to go out running whether it is raining or sunny outside!

Have you ever made a New Year’s resolution? Which resolution will you make this year?

iva10 4 March, 2015 - 17:37

My new year resolution is that I will read more books at least 15 this year ,then that I will be a excellent student ,I will spend more time with my little brother,I will speak with the boy who i like and i will have more friends than last year.

Jonathan - Coor... 5 March, 2015 - 06:11

Good luck with all your plans this year! :)

Milkyway's picture
Milkyway 5 February, 2014 - 14:14

My name is Tanya. I am fourteen years old and I live in Kazakhstan.

I think that one of the most difficult things in life is to plan our own future, but I may figure out what I would like to do this year.

I have not decided my future profession yet. Life is quite difficult now but I want to have an interesting job, I would like my work to be connected with different countries and people.

I play tennis professionally. This year I am planning to win about ten tournaments in Kazakhstan and several tournaments overseas. To do that, I need to train two times a day for two hours. Secondly, in year 2014 I am going to read more fiction and I will start classes in maths and history. Everyone should know the history of their country. It is never too late to learn.

Every year I need to improve myself. So, this year I want to lose my weight which will help me in my tennis career. To do this, I will swim in the pool, go to the gym and play tennis. I will also consult the nutritionist so that he could appoint me a proper diet without harm for my health. I think that with the loss of extra weight, my life will be changed for the better.

This year I am also going to watch less TV and spend less time on social networking websites. It will be better to spend my time with friends and family. I think that the most important thing in life is the family. First, family in which you are born and then, the family that you create. So, I will give my family a lot of attention and try to never disappoint and upset my close people.

TeresaC's picture
TeresaC 5 February, 2014 - 15:06

Hi Milkyway! Thank you for your detailed comment - it's great to read all about your plans for this year! I agree that it is very difficult to plan our future, but goals such as doing more sport are great! How long have you been playing tennis professionally? I'm not very good at tennis, but I love to go running. In April, I am going to run the London marathon! 

I'm just like you - I haven't decided my future professsion either! But I would also like to be connected with people from different countries because I love to hear about different cultures and traditions. Which subjects do you like at school? 

Symbat's picture
Symbat 4 February, 2014 - 17:26

Hello! My name is Symbat, I'm fifteen years old and live in Kazakhstan. I like playing tennis and the violin or just relaxing.
I am going to write about my New Year resolutions.
This year I'm going to read more books, I will read twenty-five or thirty pages a day. Within three months I will have to read one book. When I finish reading a book I'm going to write what I remember so I can store it in my memory. The books are the only way to be smart!
This year, I'm going to lose weight. How could I do it? From the start I’ll create a diet. I'll exclude bread and sweets. Next, I'll start to go to yoga 3 times a week and other days I'm going to engage in cardio workouts. My mom is going to do it with me. If we lose weight, we'll look brilliant.
This year, I'm going to change myself from the inside. If I want to change myself, I should change my character. I know all humans are not perfect and I'm not the ideal as personality is stubborn and impatient. I should change myself.

Jonathan - Coor... 5 February, 2014 - 05:43

Hi Symbat. I just wanted to say good luck with all of the changes you hope to make in your life. I think it's definitely a good thing to look after yourself and take care of your health, and even better that you've got a partner in your mother to do it with you. It'll be more fun and you'll have someone to talk to about the progress you're making, and I'm sure you'll motivate each other. I admire your determination! Good luck!

andryk19's picture
andryk19 14 January, 2014 - 21:52

This year I make these resolution:
- to pass the english exam "P.E.T"
- to have minimum 7 credits at the end of this scholastic year, for the exam of maturity in the fifth year
-to eat more healthy than last year
-to be less thin than last year
-to stay well with my girlfriend
-to read books
-to save money
-to stay more time with my grandparents than last year
-to be happier
-to have fun more than last year

Katniss's picture
Katniss 14 January, 2014 - 21:16

Resolutions for the new year:

- Make my hair red
- Re-read all the Harry Potter books
- See my family happy and healthy
- Take a driving license
- Finding real friends
- Learn photography
- Make two years with my boyfriend
- Weight loss
- Become more cute
- Make my hair grow.

davichin99's picture
davichin99 9 January, 2014 - 16:59

My resolutions:

-Read a liitle bit more
-I will study harder
-I will try win the championship with my footiball team

PD:(I'm doing this for obligation of my teacher,really I haven't got any resolution x)

GDI240800's picture
GDI240800 9 January, 2014 - 00:02

Well, I didn't think so much about my New Year's resolutions, but if i'd have to write something...

- Be more positive.
- Forget some bad things of the old year.
- Travel to the Caribean.
- Buy a duck.

And I don't know anything more...So, I just will try to make all of them.

16MSC's picture
16MSC 8 January, 2014 - 20:49

I agree with the text and I also thoughtt about some resolutions for this year:
-do homework every day.
-read more books.
-help my parents more.
-I want to do happy to my friends.

GDI15's picture
GDI15 8 January, 2014 - 19:54

Hi Ofelia, I`m Lucía.
I make resolutions the 1st day of te year. My resolutions for 2014 are:
• To read more books.
•Get better my marks.
• Improve my english.
•Be more happyer.
•Help my mom.
•Get organized better.
I don`t remember anymore.

Apg3's picture
Apg3 8 January, 2014 - 18:22

My resolutions for this New Year:
·To save money.
·To read much books.
·To travel to Cádiz and other places.
·To win football championship.
·To learn languages.
·To spend more time with my family.
·To play football.

surfer4's picture
surfer4 8 January, 2014 - 17:45

Happy 2014 !!. I will read more books, travel to different places, gets good marks ,win with my football team and
save money.

GreenTshirt's picture
GreenTshirt 8 January, 2014 - 15:23

I will improve my english
I will get good marks
I will make new friends
AND HAPPY NEW YEAR FOR ALL OF YOU...

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 6 January, 2014 - 17:41

First of all Happy New Year to all of you. The last year has been very good for me. I have completed most of my intentions. This year I have new intentions.
-One of them is to pass FCE test and to take my first certificate in English. I will study hard to reach my intention.
-I have a Maths competition this year ,so I really have to study hard in order to win.
-For me this year is very busy as I also have to train hard to be a good football player,too.
-Every year I try to be more helpful and more kind than the last year.
That's all!

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 4 January, 2014 - 14:18

i make resolution every year. some of those for this year 2014 are:
- to be friendlier with my friends and other people
- to save more money than this year which passed
- to learn more my lessons
- to stay more strong
- to take care of everyone ( especially for my family )
- to learn more about music and the famous people
- to do physical exercises
- to improve my English in this site
- to be more helpful
- to be a good listener with everyone
And to be HAPPY ! That`s all ! This is the key to pass a good new year!

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 1 January, 2014 - 14:08

Happy New Year from Bosnia and Herzegovina. My resolutions for this amazing (I hope so!!) 2014 are :
-spending time with my family and friends.
-I can't trust everyone, I must be more careful .
-Improve my English
-Go in Bosnian cities where I haven't been.
-Be incredible in school.
-Take more time for my look
-Learn some traditional songs(Bosnian)
-Learn English culture..

MALINE 30 December, 2013 - 00:18

I have few resolutions , in fact I have started some of them like studying English harder,be friendlier,learn chinese,get a job and read more books.
I hope to achieve them,at least you can help me with my English.
Thanks to all and have an awesome New Year! :-)

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 29 December, 2013 - 17:39

This year I will be more friendlier , I will study harder ,I will take care of my brother and my parents. I hope this year will be special.
What I am saying of course it will be special cause we are special .we make our own life.
Everybody Happy New Year!

kieungoc's picture
kieungoc 29 December, 2013 - 06:10

i have many resolutions in new year but i never do it.and this new year i also have many plans
-be happier
-do exercise completely
-learn english hard more
-care for my family more
-save money
-learn to speak and listen english
-try to take part in a english competion in my school
i try to do this

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 28 December, 2013 - 19:48

TeresaC, why is important to make resolutions for New Year, can you say me?
I know this, but I want to hear you thinking about this.
Write me and happy New Year !

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 28 December, 2013 - 19:44

I am from Montenegro so today I decided to speak my language, I will translate it on English too.
I can speak Russian too.
In English: My name is Dragana.
In Serbian: Moje ime je Dragana.
In Russian: Меня зовут Драгана.

engleskigaga's picture
engleskigaga 28 December, 2013 - 19:38

I make resolutions for New Year, my resolutions are:
- to win in country competition
- be good in school
- help my mum and dad
- read lot of books
- learn biology so much and do tests every day
-learn a new language Russian
-play tennis and be good in it.

IvaParker's picture
IvaParker 28 December, 2013 - 19:15

I had made resolutions all the year ... I have learned change new things that are very interesting in everyday life time ... Every year we learn new things that thing making thing more special in they're way :) There are much more resolutions for everyone by the way " Happy New Year " :)

SONA200's picture
SONA200 28 December, 2013 - 14:26

I make resolutions all the year but I don't know why am I not following them.This year ,my new year resolutions are
-to learn a new language
- to improve my English
-to do exercises or yoga
-not to get angry with anybody
-spending less time on social sites
-to read more books & there are much more resolutions . Hope I'll keep up my resolutions atleast this year .
HAPPY NEW YEAR !

maryagnes's picture
maryagnes 26 December, 2013 - 17:33

Every year I make resolutions , like study more or read more books and be more friendly.
This year I make resolutions such as: to spend more time with your family and friend; help my mum in home; study more; learn a foreign language, more specifically English because I think that I can improve my English.

Happy New Year !!!

bloomsophie's picture
bloomsophie 22 December, 2013 - 07:19

we don't celebrate christams in algeria because we are muslims ,we believe and trust that allah is only the god in all the world and jusus he is a prophet ! good luck in marathon teresa i love your resolutions

Natalija 20 December, 2013 - 13:58

I make resolutions every year. This year I made many resolutions:
-be friendlier to other people and make more friends
-don't be impulsive
-care more about family and spend more time with my parents
-learn a new foreign language
-save money(the hardest)
-use every opportunity
-become a foreign exchange student
-be a better person
-be less serious

Unigon's picture
Unigon 20 December, 2013 - 13:46

I've never made New Year's resolution.This year me and my friends are going on a school trip to celebrate New Year so i hope we will have a lot of fun.

Niluh 20 December, 2013 - 11:35

I will learn English seriously, not to be childish, help my mum and make my parents proud of me, because this is my final year of school so i will study hard for my national exam and i'll promise to prepare my mandarin exam in January and finally i wish i can continue my study to university.

justcricketforme 20 December, 2013 - 05:36

This year I will be looking forward to control my temper, stop being annoyed with my sis and helping my mum and dad.

learningenglish282's picture
learningenglish282 20 December, 2013 - 00:34

I have never made new year's resolution. Anyways, I will make one this year, I think I will have to study harder and spend less time on technology :)) (I play games a lot, which wastes lots of time)

serap's picture
serap 19 December, 2013 - 14:54

I will learn the languages better, study more, be more happy, smile at everyone, love everyone, be a better person for myself!

260344's picture
260344 28 December, 2013 - 19:55

I will be better at the competitions, maybe learn some new language, perhaps French, and I will be better in every sence.