Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside

8
StevieP

There is a song in England that starts: ‘Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside.’

There is something very special about being near the ocean. I have never lived on the coast before, but now I live in a small town next to the sea, and I can see the water from my window.

The constant noise of the waves can be very peaceful. Life seems to happen at a slower pace here. Before I moved here I had been living in London, which has a very different atmosphere.

The sun setting over the ocean is a beautiful thing to watch. And I enjoy looking down to see the fish swimming around and jumping up.

Where I live there is no beach. Instead, there is a harbour. In many ways, I prefer this. It means that you can look straight down into the water to see what is there. I like seeing the fishing boats. It also means that there are not so many tourists who come to lie on the beach and sunbathe.

As you can see, living beside the sea has many advantages.

I have a few problems though.

1) Everywhere smells of fish. The town where I live is full of people cooking and eating fish and other seafood at lunch and dinner. That’s okay (although I am a bit sick of eating it myself). The problem is when I hang my clothes out to dry; they come back stinking of fish!

2) Seagulls. I really don't like them. They are extremely loud and irritating, and not very pretty birds.

3) The wind. It is very windy here. At the moment it is alright, because the days are still quite warm. During the summer the wind is nice and refreshing. But I can imagine that in the winter that strong wind will be very cold indeed.

But, in the end, I think the positives outweigh the negatives. So I can sing, ‘Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside,' and I won't be lying at all.

Do you live by the sea? 

vanvienhuynh's picture
vanvienhuynh 19 May, 2016 - 11:07

My house near a beautiful beach. It was considered a World Cultural Heritage by UNESSCO. It is Ha Long bay in Vietnam. It has the white sand, blue sea and many mall and big island. I usually go to beach to swimming and sunbathe on the sand. It is a beautiful sea. If you want to discover new land, I will well come you to.

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 8 September, 2014 - 10:09

I don't live nearly sea! But I very love ocean and sea! In my holiday, I usually go to the beach. It is 3hour from my house to the beach.
I love fish, ocean, coral, etc...

nurane's picture
nurane 3 March, 2014 - 11:49

I love the beach seeing the beach and the waves makes me feel peaceful********************************************************

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 18 December, 2013 - 18:12

No, I don' live by the sea, but I'd love to. I'm art heart and I love everything what is about nature. Also, sea is good inspiration for photographing. We in Bosnia have just one sea, but lots of rivers. I love water.

Natalija 14 October, 2013 - 15:02

No, unluckily, but I'd like to, it's one of the best places for life. I love sea, swimming and all that stuff, I'd like to buy a house by the sea one day and to enjoy all day long. ;)

Harabeli Supersweet 4 October, 2013 - 19:08

No, I don't live by the sea, but I love everything about it, especially swimming and fishing. My grandparents live in a beautiful village near the sea and I like to go there during the summertime. I went there last weekend too. It was a warm sunny afternoon, so I swam, on September, 28. It was so unbelieveable! I was soaking wet, because I didn't even have a bathsuit. Anyway, I got all excited and I'll never forget that I swam during the Autumn.

Lavender 2 October, 2013 - 06:07

My province has a beautiful beach but it takes 30 minutes to get there from my home. That means I can't see the beach from my window :)
I love the beach - seeing the beach and the waves makes me feel peaceful.
However I think you should put one more thing in the negative part that is living beside the see is kind of risky. When there is a storm (or tsunami maybe) residents who live in this area will be the first ones to suffer. I still remember that my family used to face a storm 5 years ago. The wind blew my house's roof away. But the situation in the seaside was worse, the storm damaged that pretty city a lot.
Despite that it is still extremely expensive to buy a house near the see :)