Paris is to the Eiffel Tower, as Amsterdam is to …

8
BethanyS

Lots of cities have iconic buildings or statues. When we think of some cities we can’t help but think of these landmarks. Rome has the Colosseum. New York has the Empire State Building and the Statue of Liberty. We can’t think of London without thinking of Tower Bridge or the London Eye, and Paris cannot be separated from the Eiffel Tower. When you hear Sydney you think of the Opera House, but what do you think of when you think about Amsterdam?

Amsterdam is known for its artists like Van Gogh and Rembrandt. There are museums for both of these artists as well as many other galleries across the city. The Anne Frank House is also a popular destination. The queue often trails around the block because many people travelling to the Netherlands want to learn more about the famous holocaust victim. There are plenty of excellent museums, galleries and even the Heineken brewery. But Amsterdam doesn’t really have any iconic landmarks which would be recognised by millions around the world. You might be wondering if I’ve completely forgotten about windmills! Windmills are certainly iconic and there are some in and around Amsterdam. However, windmills are a symbol of the nation as a whole, not just of Amsterdam. 

When people think of Amsterdam, they think of bicycles, canals and narrow houses – and they’re right. Amsterdam is full of canals and some people choose to live there in houseboats. Picturesque bridges arc over the water. Along the canals are tall trees and even taller houses. The higgledy-piggledy houses are extremely narrow, each one a different height to its neighbour. They are beautiful. Looking at this charming city is delightful. 

So although Amsterdam has no Taj Mahal or Christ the Redeemer statue, it is very recognisable. Amsterdam has about 1500 bridges and over 100 kilometres of canals. It’s a unique and distinctive city. There aren’t that many iconic landmarks to take selfies with, but it is a wonderful city to look at, to walk or to cycle around and to simply enjoy. 

What are your town or country’s iconic buildings?

valko's picture
valko 3 March, 2015 - 03:07

My city is makassar it's in indonesia but i don't live in the city i live in small vilagge surrounded by paddy field. I think there no special landmark or statue which recognisable by world but it gamous with its "losari beach" when you hear of it for the fisrt you might think thag it is a beautyful beach with sand but you are absolutely wrong there is no sand there people don't swim there it's just like an harbour but there is no boat there. There is a word statu of "pantai (beach) losari" and "makassar city" there, people usually take selfies with the statue.

Frederikbh's picture
Frederikbh 2 March, 2015 - 07:42

I live in Copenhagen, Denmark. We have "Rundetårn" (The round tower) as well as canals, bicycles and beautiful old buildings. Copenhagen is in many ways similar to Amsterdam.

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 27 February, 2015 - 16:59

My City is Chennai - A Historic city in India. Many of the buildings here have British Influences. The Most Iconic one is our Railway Station- The Chennai Central . another one is the Ripon Building

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 25 February, 2015 - 19:28

Bosnia and Herzegovina is quite small country but our bigger cities have lots of landmarks which are recognisable everywhere. Sarajevo, capital city is the most recognisable for ''Baščaršija''.Baščaršija is part of Sarajevo. There are plenty small markets where you can buy little things like clocks, coffee pots, sticks, postcards, jerseys of Džeko, Ibišević and others players for FC Sarajevo, Željezničar.. If you buy anything in Sarajevo you will always remember that special city.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 26 February, 2015 - 08:33

Hi Bosnianchild,
Thanks for your comment but I had to edit out a lot of the text you wrote because it was copied from other websites. Please do not copy ideas or words without saying where they come from. Please read all our House Rules carefully.

Now you have read about your country in English, can you tell us more about it in your own words. Have you ever been to Mostar? It looks beautiful!

Best wishes,
Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens)

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 26 February, 2015 - 18:29

Hi Jo,
I haven't think anything bad about copying text. It is easier because I don't know very well English so on other sites are everything which I wanted say, but no problem ;)
Yes, I was in Mostar. I think that Mostar is the most beautiful city. You should visit it.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 2 March, 2015 - 09:01

Hi Bosnianchild,

Thanks for replying. Lots of people don't realise that copying text without saying where it comes from is a type of stealing. It is called plagiarism and schools and universities have very serious consequences for plagiarism - You could have all your marks cancelled or be suspended or expelled. There are also possible legal consequences for using someone's work without getting their permission. That is called copyright infringement.

The important thing is to give credit to the person who wrote it. Use quotation marks for the words you want to use and put a direct link to the source. Another thing you can do is read lots of things about the same subject, and then write about it in your own words. That is great because you are learning more about the subject and improving your writing at the same time.

We much prefer reading your comments to yet another extract from wikipedia! It doesn't have to be perfect - the important thing is that it is your thoughts in your words. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you :)

Best wishes,

Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)