The pursuit of happiness

36
KatB

Despite the countless differences between peoples' characters and careers, or their likes and their dislikes, it seems that we are all connected in this weird and wonderful life by one thing: namely, the pursuit of happiness.

Happiness means, naturally, different things to different people. For myself, happiness is synonymous with horse riding, Cadbury's Creme Eggs and spending time with my friends. Some people are at their happiest at home, whereas others find their paradise through travelling far-off foreign lands. Happiness can be as simple as a surprise bunch of fresh flowers or a really strong coffee, just when you need it most. Sometimes, happiness comes from spending time with loved ones; at others, it's having a well-earned quiet night at home, with nothing but Netflix and a cosy bed for company. Trying to neatly sum up happiness would probably take a whole lifetime! 

Since it comes in so many shapes and sizes, it's sometimes easy to take happiness for granted - especially true if it's been 'one of those days'. Maybe you overslept, missed the bus and had to walk to school in the rain, only to be told off for being late. Or perhaps, because of work, you had to cancel plans with friends, despite looking forward to seeing them for ages. Forgotten keys, delayed flights, an argument with your parents, untimely illness or injury ... all very frustrating, and understandably guaranteed to make you feel unhappy.

Luckily, there are a few simple, scientifically proven ways to make the glass seem half-full again. To start with, things like trying out a new recipe, cycling or walking instead of driving to work and listening to music are great mood-boosters. Volunteering or getting involved with a charity are two ways in which you can become happier through helping others. Last, but certainly not least, try hugging your way to happiness; it's been suggested that we humans need a minimum of five hugs a day. Whether it's wholly scientifically accurate or not remains to be seen, but it's a great excuse; and if you've been having a bad day, there's nothing better than a good old bear-hug. 

What makes you happy?

Elsa007 20 May, 2015 - 02:08

Someone says that it is better if i just live in an old good memory, believing in my feeling, getting out of daily troubles... And it had to be a happiness??

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 23 April, 2015 - 14:30

Happiness isn't something we need to find. It's in us! But usually we don't let ourselves to be happy (or better world don't let us) - we need to work, we need to go to school, we need to buy things, we always NEED to do something. If we stopped, relaxed nad just breathed in and out slowly, we would FEEl happiness. We would be happy if we told ourselves after we done good and hard woork, that we were hard working and that we did excellent work! WE would feel satisfaction.

Also we need to learn to look different. I was always wondering why is the same place (eg. tree and grass) more beautiful on pictures than in reality. It was because in reality there were other distractions (eg. house, electrical wiring). So I learnt to be happy and satisfied with small thingh, as many before me said

Ken 26 April, 2015 - 10:53

Hi HannaMarin, wow, what an interesting view you have which I've never thought (the focus and distractions)! I have an aha moment! You're amazingly cool….., aren't you?!

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 4 May, 2015 - 11:56

Hi Ken!
I'm glad you liked my comment and you had an aha moment! :)
Thanks for thinking that I'm amazingly cool. In my opinion everyone is amazingli cool for somebody and in some way. :D

Rio007's picture
Rio007 9 April, 2015 - 15:31

What makes me happy?!
Can you really know that?
Can we really stop our natural gluttony to be able to enjoy life with those little but precious things?
I frankly don't know that, but i seriously doubt it...

Ken 12 April, 2015 - 08:50

Hi Rio,
Can I just ask you something? Is this what you mean or the other way round?
Moderate eating keeps happiness away…. ?

Rio007's picture
Rio007 21 April, 2015 - 21:07

Hello Ken,
The whole idea was that we humans always tend to ask for more, more , more and more.... We are never fully satisfied, we can't get no satisfacion because of our intense and selfish desires for something...let it be wealth, power, food or even a spiritual accomplishment etc etc.... we people are selfish in our essence and greedy , it's natural for us having an excessive desire or appetite not only for food but for everything... That's why we can't be happy ...

Ken 26 April, 2015 - 10:41

Hi Rio, thanks for the reply. Now I get your point. Your idea made me notice something interesting in different cultures (ideas)!
Yes, 'we people' may be 'Born bad' and think we need to accumulate good deeds to be saved, while some people (in our culture for example) think we born good and try to see things from a fundamental perspective of good human nature.
I'm not sure which idea makes people happier, but I believe everyone has happiness in its own way. I know some people do feel a sense of happiness in making people uncomfortable or miserable, others feel happiness in sharing life with loved ones or in achieving valuable goals.
What kind of happiness would YOU pursuit? :-)

Rio007's picture
Rio007 27 April, 2015 - 18:15

Hi Ken, it was my pleasure...So to explain myself better, i'd like to use a favourite quote of mine from a french philospher Rene Descartes: “I suppose therefore that all things I see are illusions; I believe that nothing has ever existed of everything my lying memory tells me. I think I have no senses. I believe that body, shape, extension, motion, location are functions. What is there then that can be taken as true? Perhaps only this one thing, that nothing at all is certain.”... People can call me a heretic, some may call me a philosopher by heart or some may even think that i don't know what i'm talking about, but i don't take anything for granted, i doubt in everything, i doubt in thoughts, i doubt in this existence etc so the thing is that i cannot give a reply for what happiness i would pursuit because i doubt it , i don't know it ...i doubt in the existence of happiness itself...But what about you? I would like to know what kind of happiness would you pursuit... xD

Ken 5 May, 2015 - 14:44

Thank you for the reply, Rio! The way you perceive things in this world is superb! Yes, as Descartes pointed out, I have a vague idea that we're living in a protean and uncertain world or we are such, and that's why we humans are constantly searching for something absolute… And I don't think I'll be able to doubt about what I experience with my senses. You might think I'm too romanticist, but my happiness is pursuing love, in other words, my girlfriend!! (Sorry, Rio, have you got the feeling of sheer happiness with someone!?) As a quote says, "Love is... more strong when you learn to trust even with all the doubts"! And once you find it, it can never be replaced! Don't you think what a wonderful world we live in!??? :)))

Rio007's picture
Rio007 8 May, 2015 - 21:42

Thank you for the reply, Ken! I would say the same about you!...Someone once said :"Love can sometimes be magic. But magic can sometimes just be an illusion", but if pursuing love makes you happy, than live that illusion the best way possible. Be happy :) As for me i have complex ideas and feelings... I'm sure that "happiness" knocks on my door every day but I'm to busy trying to figure out what is happiness... :))

Ken 9 May, 2015 - 15:28

Aha! Thanks for the comment, Rio! Well...., I'm looking forward to be grown up a lot! By the way, are you scaring up to get happiness?? Let's be happy with each other! ;-)

HI ken!
Rightly said! i'vre seen many people being happier making others unhappier or sad! Even I've seen many in my whole life. But there are also many who feel happy by making others happy; the bear all the discomforts and pains but try to keep their loved ones or the people around them happier! This is the real happiness and there are fewer or maybe fewest who achieve this happiness. And yeah! I really feel happier when I achieve my valuable goals. I really felt happy when I read your beautiful comment.! . thanks a lot!
Best wishes, hadia!

Ken 5 May, 2015 - 15:09

Thank you for the reply, Hadia!
I'm pleased to hear that you liked my comment. I've got a bit bashful…! I believe happiness spread easily from person-to-person, and vice versa (unhappiness!), so I try to be being with my girlfriend as much as possible because she brings me happy feeling and drives to achieve valuable goals. Can you imagine what it's like to generate a bandwagon effect??..…(I'm getting bashful, woo-hoo!)

hadia 7 May, 2015 - 08:25

Hi Ken!
Wow it's good that you try to spend time with your near one to feel happy. I also feel happy when i spent time with my family because they are very nearer to me.And Surely happiness spread from one person to another, if someone drive us to achieve valuable goals and get determined, It creates real happiness in our heart for that person! I think like this? What do you say??/

Ken 9 May, 2015 - 15:40

Hi Hadia, I mean it's contagious!! By the way, what's your valuable goal at the moment? Spending time with your close family members??

hadia 10 May, 2015 - 08:44

Hi ken! Well......At the moment my valuable goal is to secure highest position in my studies and go to the best medical university! I am determined to achieve my goals! Well talking about my family, they are always there to make me feel happy and to support me which helps me extremely to achieve my valuable goals! They really mean life for me!

Ken 11 May, 2015 - 05:36

Wow………., it's great to hear your resolution to make a good record and go to a top medical university! It's really something! I'm sure now that you're feeling happy, getting off to more meaningful life. Of all things, I think you're super lucky to have someone who's behind you all the way! (….Oops, my girlfriend might give me a frown….!) Okay, I must admit that I've made it this far because of a congenial and productive association! I'll achieve a thing anyway! ;-)

hadia 11 May, 2015 - 08:52

Hahaha~! No, not really......your girlfriend will surely not give you a frown! Well yes! you're right that i'm lucky to have someone helping me in my odds , the one who is behind me,that is surely my family! It was good talking to you and sharing each others happiness in different ways!
Have a good day and stay blessed!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 2 April, 2015 - 15:49

Life is an ocean with a dark depth composed not of water but remorse, despair, anger, vengeance and a thousand more. the sea is the incarnation of these emotions. It loves, hates and weeps. However, if one can swim and face contentment;one's spirit turns lighthearted. this is what I call happiness.
But what arouses the ecstasy in me? 1. school life.
2. nature is a patron of happiness to me. vivacity is brought out keenly whenever I see the leopards(the imperial creatures, the eagles and the owls, who are my favorites.Also the temptation that arouses in me to run free when I am in the wild is a another happiness. Here I let happiness soak right into my bones and another delight--the ocean,, the sight of it. Makes me drink in everything.
3. Long gaze of light brown eyes. Light brown eyes always makes me feel warm and they are of delicate cinnamon to me. It brings a great content to me.
4.Reading books.
Happiness is not always getting A+, but the softness of my pillow, a messy room, looking into someone's eyes without awkwardness, being smiled into the eyes, seeing one's reflection in the mirror, closing one's a eyes and drifting off to sleep and admiration on simple little things, are things which makes me happy.
Does any of these things makes you happy?

Elsa007 3 April, 2015 - 14:15

Wow, impressive writing, Silvermist! Your happiness sounds like a howl of agony, but it's very poetic and I like it! I think that's very nice of you to have found your own various happiness around you and it's interesting that long gaze of light brown eyes makes you feel happy as well, but I just wonder if you're referring to the light brown eyes of the eagles or the owls??
There seems to be a million different happiness!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 April, 2015 - 06:06

Well I do very much like owl eyes and they seen to come in different shades of brown, but actually I like the light brown eyes of people.
People of brown eyes are caring, bring the feeling of warmth, positive, simple , confident and trustworthy.
And Elsa 007, your very comment brought me happiness, thanks a lot.

Hi Silvermist!
you really described it amazingly! Yes, it'll really make you feel happy when you read books, enjoy school life, admire nature and when you look at or get inspired from beauty! It really makes me feel happy in school all the friends and teachers; they just look like a family to me and a special bond of attachment is built between us! it's natural and I think that you may also have felt this when you're in school. Well! talking about books it has always been my favourite hobby! and really admiring beauty and nature is a cool thing too! very well defined Silvermist! . I''d really appreciate that! :)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 April, 2015 - 06:12

True indeed, Hadia. Thanks. school life is another family. all my friends are a part of my heart. When I go to school, I feel like living in another world always succeeding and meeting failure and my inner circle of friends standing still as a never ending support.

yeah! you're right Silvermist!
Friends are always standing with us through our thick and thin and of course school life is magical. We learn many things and for me I really learnt after going to school that success and failure are part of life! so, it's really amazing time we spend in school!

Elsa007 4 April, 2015 - 03:01

I'll go with you Hadia! And speaking of a school life, I've got lots of happy memories in my school days! School is a kind of an artificial sheltered place where a bunch of kids can learn skills with lots of mistakes for coming future which takes responsibilities to others. What would you think if a kid grows without having such a social training??

Yeah! true indeed. Elsa007!
To think of a kid without having gone to a school is to think about a kid without moral values! Besides learning, we also learn how to survive, to live and to interact with the people around us and in our community!

hadia 31 March, 2015 - 09:45

Happiness is the feeling that resides in the heart. Happiness is characterized by the peace of mind, tranquility, a sense of well-being and a relaxed disposition. For me happiness is a feeling that makes me feel happier and creates a sense of positivity as well as relaxation and satisfaction in me. It is in fact enrichment of soul. Life is too short for wasting it being unhappier all the times and becoming sad on the things you can't get, so we should always be happier because nothing is permanent in this world not even our troubles! Therefore just stay happy........ and keep yourself as well as your friends and people around you happy!

Elsa007 1 April, 2015 - 09:18

Hi haida, interesting! I like the way you think about your 'happiness'. I totally agree that happiness also resides in a feel of accomplishment when achieving something valuable. It seems that restful happiness and excited happiness lie together, helping each other and striking the balance. Just relax, haida, 'Happiness depends upon ourselves' -Aristotle.

Hi Elsa007! rightly said that Happiness depends upon ourselves..... the only thing to do is....... to feel it! I think that it's just like a butterfly... the more you chase it the more it eludes you and if you will turn attention to other things , it will come closer and then softly sit on your shoulder! and surely the balance should be maintained to keep yourself happy!
so just relax and smile because smiley face is a symbol of happiness.
and by the way it's Hadia! ;)

Elsa007 3 April, 2015 - 14:29

Oops, sorry Hadia!! Oh, I maybe an unfit friend of yours… but thank you for letting me know it! :P
Yeah, let's feel happiness, Hadia!! … At least, now I feel happy when I read your beautiful description!

Hi Elsa007!
Ha ha! No worries! It's alright and no! you're surely not an unfit friend! you're a very nice friend. And yes, lets feel the happiness around us!

Elsa007 30 March, 2015 - 14:55

You don't have to go into the country to hear what news at London. ...Happiness lies just around us. It wants to be found by someone. It's sensitive, humble, fragile and hates the noise. It comes from where a part of my brain develops empathy for what other part of my brain needs at a certain point of time, which is beyond give and take. Getting lost in sweets, music, rest or some activities, for instance. "Happiness is living life from the inside out" Of course the greater happiness may be lying in compathy with loved ones...
What about you??
I think I first need to go get a good old bear...!

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 30 March, 2015 - 20:18

Wow, Elsa007, what an amazing comment! I love the way you explained that. I will be thinking of your wise words as I go about my daily life this week. :)
Joanna
(LearnEnglisnTeens team)