The quinceañera – fifteen-year-old birthday girl!

9
PriyankaBlogger

One of Mexico's traditions is called the quinceañera, which means 'fifteen-year-old'. It is when a young girl turns 15 and she has a big party to celebrate. It is a fusion of Aztec culture and Spanish Catholicism. In 16th-century Spain, a girl turning 15 meant she had to decide between dedicating her life to God or getting married. Back then, in line with Catholic tradition, the girl would wear a white dress; however, girls now wear dresses of any colour. Finding the right dress for your quinceañera is a big deal and a lot of time is put into finding the right one. The dresses have lots of fabric. Think The Princess Diaries! The party costs a lot of money.

The first stop is for the religious ceremony at the church. Then at the birthday party, there’s music, dancing and lots of food. Family and friends are invited to enjoy the special day. The father dances with his daughter and there is a more modern dance by the birthday girl.

The quinceañera looks like great fun. It’s totally different from how I celebrated my 15th birthday. The age 15 has so much more significance in Mexico than in England. In contrast, I remember my 18th birthday being a big deal because that was when I could call myself an adult.

Mexican culture really interests me. There is so much more to learn about, and I would like to visit someday to experience it in person and practise my Spanish on the locals!

Which birthdays are the most important in your country?

hadia 1 July, 2017 - 13:30

I wanted to ask that Why is my comment not posted? I'm sorry but it didn't contain anything that broke the House Rule. Please, tell me.
Thanks.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 2 July, 2017 - 10:06

Hi Hadia. Sorry for the delay. You're completely right - your comment didn't break the house rules and I've now published it. Sometimes if comments are religious or political in nature we take a little bit longer to check them out because these are very important and potentially sensitive topics for people. Thanks for writing and for teaching other users about your culture. We appreciate it! :) Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 29 June, 2017 - 15:06

Wow, you surely live in an interesting place! We usually maintain silence during leader's bdays. We also have little speeches about them, and their quotes are displayed at school. But, who's this holy prophet? I'm sorry, but I'm a Hindu, and not quite familiar with other religions. I've read the holy books, but still... Please do tell me about him. :)))

hadia 29 June, 2017 - 16:23

Catastrophe. He is The Last Messenger of Allah Almighty. The Holy Prophet Hazrat Muhammad SallehAlah Alehe Walehe Wasallam(Peace Be Upon Him). He completed the journey of Islam on Earth. Qur'an is the Last Holy Book from Allah Almighty. Torah, Zabur, and The Bible( Injeel) are also the holy Books before Quran was revealed. It was revealed on The Holy Prophet (Peace be Upon Him) in form of Epithets ( Ayat) His Birthday, according to the Islamic Calender(Hijri Calender) is 12th of Rabi-ul-Awal. Which is the day of celebration for all the Muslim Ummah. He was sent to us for teaching us the Sirat Al Mustakeem ( The right Path- The Divine Path). He is a role Model for us. And He's Beloved to Allah Almighty.
If you want to read more about Him. You can search on Google. Or else there are many Books available on His Life. Although they can never be able to describe Him, as He was a Complete Man, but many Ahadees( His Life quotes and moments) are written and you can read them.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 2 July, 2017 - 09:55

Wow, great. You really seem to be a religious person. Such people always succeed in life. I definitely would try my best to know more about him. He sounds much like the saints of our religion. Anyways, thanks for your kind comment!

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 28 June, 2017 - 11:43

Err... Just first birthdays, I guess. I love birthdays. They are simply awesome!!! Though we don't celebrate much, we still carry on a small get together at home or at my cousin's house. We usually go to the mall or somewhere funky during my birthday. The best thing about my birthday is that it's a holiday, so typically no homework!!! :))))