A rainy day

14
KatB

Unless you are amongst those of us lucky enough to be living in either California or southern Spain, chances are that the start of spring hasn't signalled the return of spring-like weather. Quite the opposite, in fact. Oh yes: the clocks might be going back, but the rain is here to stay. 

Now, rain has its uses. Many, in fact, if my vague memory of secondary school Geography and the water cycle serves me correctly. But it's been a long, cold, snowy winter and, frankly, my all-weather boots and I are at the end of our tether. Enough is enough. It's time to put away heavy coats and bring out shorts, skirts and summer dresses; to feel the sun on our skin, instead of hunching over, desperately trying to avoid the wind. Delicious winter comfort food is all well and good, but how delightful would it be to enjoy a giant bowl of ice cream without risking hypothermia?! Or a barbeque. In the garden, enjoying the long warm(ish) evenings. Doesn't that sound like heaven?

If the next week's forecast is to be trusted, however, no amount of complaining will keep the storm clouds from looming over my small corner of Germany. So, in an attempt to stave off cabin fever, I will be spending my time spring cleaning: a rather fitting term for having a good old clear out. Sounds boring, and if it weren't for the motivating tones of HRH Beyoncé it would undoubtedly be a thankless task. Still, there's something very satisfying about organising all the useless stuff that accumulates over the winter hibernation period. Plus, it leaves more room for summer clothes! 

And, if that doesn't keep me occupied for long, then there might be time to get further on my perpetual to-do list: read those books recommended by my friends, watch that film I missed in the cinema, listen to the new album by James Bay which I haven't heard yet. A few plans to make that rainy day into less of a catastrophe.

Topics: 

What do you do on rainy days? What's the weather usually like in your country? 

gianggiang 18 October, 2015 - 07:00

I usually read books on rainy days. The North of my country has four seasons( spring, summer, fall,winter) but the South only has two seasons: dry season and rainy season. The South is extremely hot whereas the North is quite cold. Especial in Sapa- a mountainous province of Vietnam, you can admire the weather changes rapidly. There are four seasons in one day. ( yes, in only one day!). In the morning,the weather is mistry, at noon, it is quite hot. In the afternoon, it is a bit cold and you can see golden leaves falling. In the evening, the wind chills drive the temperature down and at night , it is frosty
.( You should wear a coat or your hands start to go numb.) In December, it is even snowy in Sapa.( You know, Vietnam is a tropical country. It is hard to see snow in tropical ones!). French used to come to Vietnam and they built ancient villas in Sapa. Nowadays, Sapa is believe to be the best resort of my country

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 19 April, 2015 - 17:16

On rainy days, obviously, I m out in the rain. A bath in the rain is nothing like the bath in the shower. A rain bath is simply cool, rapturous and awesome. I love the rain and even the smell and wetness of it. Every time I see a puddle I can't resist jumping in it. I also love to drag my friends who don't want to get wet in the rain. The rain makes me an annoying friend because I love it. Who wants an umbrella in the rain? Me? Never. The funny thing is, whenever I take an umbrella to school hoping that it would rain and for once I'd be a proper young lady, it never rains. So I have given it up all together. Simply, I'd rather say I'm like a frog who embraces rain
The nature in our country is tropical. So I guess the weather changes from month to month. Some months like February and March it's hot, and I 'd always beg for rain.

Hi Silvermist!
You're right! I also dance in the rain but I never hold an umbrella in my hand. Even if it's raining a lot and I have to go to school, I prefer walking and dancing in the rain without an umbrella , and at last my clothes are wet but it has its own feeling. Enjoying in the rain makes you feel the essence of nature and surely umbrella will not make it !

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 21 April, 2015 - 13:15

Hi hadia,
Lucky you, because I only get to enjoy rain to the fullest when adults aren't around because well............I guess you must know................about their talking that rain will make you sick. But definitely, when I grow up and am independent i will never use an umbrella.

Hi Silvermist!
You're right! Adults son't allow us to enjoy rain and always say that it will make you sick and you'll get cold ' cough and other things like this! Well you made me remember of one day when it was raining heavily and I said to myself that lets enjoy it and see if I get cold or not. I enjoyed it fully but then a voice from behind came that come inside! what are you doing?? this was my mom! Then unwillingly I went inside and sat on chair. I don't know why but that whole day I somehow directly and indirectly stay connected with ''Getting cold'' stuff! Like I took a magazine from table and when i opened it the page which opened has an article on the topic " cough, cold, sneezing, fever" and etc! And you can't believe that at night I caught serious flu and cold and It was really uneasy and uncomfortable for me to sleep that night. After that night I always stay careful while enjoying rain. Hahaha! I always remember that day even I wrote about it in my diary!
best wishes , Hadia

VIOLETA's picture
VIOLETA 4 April, 2015 - 18:55

Fortunately,I live in Montenegro.It s great country,but today is 4April and weather forecast for 5April is very bad!Snow! I know it s hard to believe,but It s true.

HannaMarin's picture
HannaMarin 21 April, 2015 - 16:31

I believe you! I'm from Slovenia (north from Montenegro) and we had snow on 18 April. It's strange - we didn't have a lot of snow in winter, but now when trees and flowers are blooming it's snowing. I wouldn't mind this snow in winter.

And today is totally differnet - we have 22 degree Celsius and it's sunny. It's just funny to me! :)

Elsa007 2 April, 2015 - 08:07

Hi, Hadia, what a lovely comment! Wow, I like the way you see and feel the beauty of nature, which is exactly the same as the way I feel in a bountiful rainy season! Your description makes me sense the green leaves, trees, clouds, flowers and air real as if I were in the same picture you were looking at. Fantastic! Just maybe, could it be that you're… a frog??
Joking aside, I'd love to be your friend, hadia! :-)

Hi Elsa007!
Thanks a lot for your appreciation. and surely I'd also love to be your friend!

Hi Elsa007!
it's very kind of you that you want to be my friend and why not! I'd love to be your friend! Well! Thanks for your appreciation!

Rainy days make us feel delighted! I feel very happy and cheerful during rainy seasons. Actually, rain make us feel the beauty of nature in a perfect way. whenever I go outside during rain, I become very happy to see the green leaves which turn glossy and fresh after the rain. I feel that Life has revived everywhere. the scenes after the rain look thrilling. the top of trees keep on swaying , it seems that if they are dancing! the clouds wander here and there, the flowers bloom in the cool breeze and everything around us look fresh and pure. So, I enjoy a lot on the rainy days!