Red Nose Day

comment_count; ?>
RosemaryM

To anyone who isn't British, the name of this day probably sounds a little strange. Red Nose Day is an event which takes place every other year. The aim of the day is to raise as much money as possible for Comic Relief, a charity which helps people in the UK and across Africa. This year, it will take place on Friday 13th March.

Across Britain, people are encouraged to do something "funny for money". This could be dyeing your hair red for the day, painting your face or getting involved in a wide range of fundraising events. Many schools hold cake sales or have a non-uniform day to raise money. There are also bigger events which you can participate in, such as 'Danceathon'. Over 2000 people took part in this six-hour dancing event, alongside several celebrity guests. Each participant was sponsored to take part and the money raised will be put towards projects run by Comic Relief. 

On Red Nose Day, there is a jam-packed evening of entertainment on TV. Lots of television programmes do a special version for Comic Relief, such as The Great Comic Relief Bake Off  (a celebrity version of the popular baking contest, The Great British Bake Off ) or The People's Strictly (an adaptation of Strictly Come Dancing, featuring members of the British public). 

For me, the best bit about Red Nose Day is wearing the red nose. New noses are designed each year and there is usually a theme - for example, one year the noses had a dinosaur theme. This year there are nine different noses - I'm feeling quite sad that I won't be able to buy one this year! Besides the traditional red nose, people can also buy a range of other products to support Comic Relief, such as umbrellas, mugs, T-shirts and pens.

Comic Relief works with both children and adults. In Africa, the charity works to improve the quality of life in local communities. It helps children to go to school, educates adults on the subject of HIV and AIDS and provides immunisations and vaccines against deadly illnesses such as malaria. In the UK, Comic Relief works closely with disabled and elderly people to ensure they have equal rights and have access to the facilities that they need.

Have you ever heard of Red Nose Day? Are there any charity events like Red Nose Day in your country? 

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 16 August, 2015 - 15:51

oh it sounds a cool day.well i ve lot of friends who would love the day coz they get red noses plus red faces too with the mere remembrance of crushes and embarassing moments in truth or dare.haha

Wow! It's a great way to support and help poor and disable community! I've never heard of this before. In our country charity events are held many times a year but there are no specific names! In our school we used to raise funds and gather money or food items or any of the house stuff required for poor people. there were charity boxes in our school and we used to add money every week on a specific day in our boxes. We had four houses in our school so there were four boxes for charity! I think it's a good way to help people by celebrating events like Red Nose Day!

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 9 October, 2015 - 13:25

Hi I've never heard for Red Nose Day Before too, but in our town is during Child Week. Thar something like Red Nose Day, because we are trying to help poor childrens. In our coutry the poor people are old Egyptians.Otherwise I realy like your thinking and your attitude

hadia 9 October, 2015 - 14:57

Hi CoolPink!
Thanks for the comment! Well, Child week huh?! It seems interesting......Can you tell me more about this practice of your town! Well, thanks for appreciating my idea! It's good to listen that you're helping old people....... :))

CoolPink's picture
CoolPink 9 October, 2015 - 19:03

Each year the first week in October is Children's weeks and during the week the children with their teachers in the school visited various museums and collected money for a home for children without parents. Also in cooperation with the Red Cross collect clothing, hygiene products and food donated by the Red Cross organization. Of course we do when some religious holidays. I'm so glad you're so fast answerers to my comment and I'm glad that I'm not the only one who advocates for poor children. I'm happy when I see that there are such children like you........:)

hadia 10 October, 2015 - 12:24

Hi CoolPink!
Thanks for the reply.........Well, It's very nice that school takes an active part in charity works......It's good that you feel for the poor and help them by providing them with their basic needs! Thanks again!
God bless you :)

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 19 April, 2015 - 21:41

Hi hadia,

Red Nose Day is a very popular event in the UK - particularly for children who like to dress up and raise money for charity. In November we also have an event called "Children in Need", which raises money for disadvantaged people living in the UK. 

Hi RosemaryM!
Wow I really appreciate it! This is surely a great way to help your poor community! In our country, as I said before that there is no as such special event but we gather money and give it to poor people individually ! But in our religion, we have not put the poor community behind! On every religious day or month we give charity to them. like in the month of Ramadan we give Zakat to the poor and orphans and similarly on Eid-ul-fitr we give "Fitrana" to the poor people who also want to celebrate Eid, in this way they can buy new clothes , eatables etc and on Eid-ul-azha, one-third part of the meat of the slaughtered animal is given to the poor. In this way we always take care of the poor community living in our country!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 20 April, 2015 - 16:20

Hi hadia,

Events like these in the UK certainly help raise awareness of the difficulties faced by some people in our country. It sounds like your society has great values; in the UK I think people should help others more often throughout the year. I remember going to an Eid festival in London last summer - there were lots of stands to try different foods and a big stage for performances!

Hi RosemaryM!
Sounds cool! I hope that you enjoyed that Eid Festival! Well, this Nose Day Event has really touched my heart. I really want that our society should also arrange such big events for supporting the poor financially!