A road trip in Europe

80
AngelaE-Olano

There are many different ways to travel from England across Europe; by plane, by train and by boat. However, one of the least explored options, for good reason, is to travel to Europe by car. I am currently staying in Vibo Valentia on the south coast of Italy. To get here by plane would have taken me 4 hours. By train it’d have probably taken me a day and a half. However, I chose to drive all the way from South East England to South West Italy.

Why on earth would I do this? 
For practical reasons: When moving to Europe, by train or plane, you can only take a couple of suitcases with you. Whereas my Ford Focus served as a small removal van, allowing me to take loads of my treasured possessions with me.

Why else?
For the adventure, of course! When I left my hometown of Bracknell, I travelled through England, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and Switzerland.I heard French, German, Flemish and Italian and got to use 3 different currencies as well! (pounds, euros and Swiss francs). Geographically, it is fascinating to see Europe unfold before you. On just one day you can drive 100 miles an hour on the Autobahn across the beautiful farm lands of Germany through the spectacular Alps, with their majestic snow-capped mountains.

On top of this, a Euro road trip allows you to visit places and sample things that you usually wouldn’t. For example because I wasn’t confined by a flight I had to catch, I could stay in places for as long as I wanted. When stopping in Bruges in the early afternoon, I was only planning to stay for 2 hours but instead I booked into a hotel and stayed till the next morning. I just fell in love with Bruges! In Luxembourg, I had a hot chocolate which consisted of a cup of steamed milk and a wooden spoon buried in a block of flavoured chocolate. The idea was to stir the chocolate spoon in the milk. I could have had wasabi flavoured chocolate however, I opted for a rather more conservative honey comb! In Switzerland, I took a boat ride on Lake Lucerne; one of the most beautiful lakes I had ever seen.

Was it worth it?
Definitely! Find a loved one who’s willing to do it with you and it will, genuinely, be one of the most exciting and exhilarating things you ever do! 

Have you ever been on a long road trip? 

PetD's picture
PetD 19 October, 2015 - 19:15

and sorry i was so confused on the UK trip that i have not written the thing i should...so when we were traveling to italy we were always in the car like ten hours..(and I was sometimes vomining...)

PetD's picture
PetD 19 October, 2015 - 19:08

I absolutely love traveling, and its my biggest dream..to travel..thought im only 14(im from the czech republic) and I´ve been to Italy,chroatia and greece but only on the holiday...and i was only like relaxing by the seaside...and I also wanted to see some sigths or do more interesting things than relaxing....but you know..parents..
Also litteraly today I might could be in the UK but my english teacher did NOT pick me .....she thinks cos im introvert and shy that i cannot go there and she have not even given me a chance....that is so unfair , cos the puples from our school that are in the UK right now cannot speak a little bit english...
Has anyone experianced simillar thing like that?
Also HELLO Elsa007 hadia sanpai28 ...I´ve noticed your conversation and i...just wanted to say HELLO

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 28 October, 2016 - 05:32

Hello too, PetD! :D I've read your comment just now and I've replied yours as soon as I read this. Thanks for noticing our conversation. Nice to meet you PetD. I'm so happy to get a new friend.
The teachers should not underestimate the students' abilities. They should give a chance to their students to test and use their own skills.

hadia 25 October, 2015 - 07:20

Hey PetD!
THanks for saying hello and noticing the comments!!
Well! That was totally unfair which your English teacher did! I hope you get a chance to travel UK!
Best wishes, Hadia :)))

Elsa007 24 October, 2015 - 00:21

Hello PetD!
Thanks for saying 'hello!' I enjoyed your story about your school trip! Unlike your family, my parents are extroverted and do am I......! Have a nice trip!

Elsa007 10 October, 2015 - 14:23

My parents and I went on a long road trip to a desert. My dad drove the car and it took thirteen hours to get to the destination! I still feel terrible to remember the trip……….!

Persianman's picture
Persianman 9 October, 2015 - 06:55

three years a go i had a long trip to Tabriz and Ardabil in Iran.i stayed there for a week and saw a lot of fascinating view there.
that was on of the best travels of me

Persianman's picture
Persianman 1 May, 2016 - 14:12

yeah and don't forget to go to big cites like Ardebil
Isfahan
Shiraz (( for it`s Famous Wine ;D ))
and the Capital of Iran -->Tehran

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 4 October, 2015 - 15:36

The longest I have been was to was to a city in my country, I like visiting long trips, as long as you re with friends or family, its great fun.

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 4 October, 2015 - 13:38

I had a long trip to a small town, very far from our home city by train four or five years ago with my family.We saw the simply beautiful views of nature.We saw the golden paddy fields with the endless blue sky background.We even saw farmers smiling and waving to us. We also often saw the villages surrounded by the trees.We can see the colourful scenes of nature that we can't see when we are in a life full of work when travelling by train.I think travelling by train is more free and social than any other transportation and Of course! We don't have to worry about the busy traffic and usual accidents that travel by car may have. Anyway, travelling is a very amazingly wonderful experience in life with any transportation. So Travel, travel and travel to find the hidden treasures of nature and Of course, have fun!!!!!!!

gianggiang 11 October, 2015 - 17:02

Hi sanpai28. Nice to meet you!
And hi hadia and Elsa
I like your comment. It was really memorable trip.Would you mind if I told something about my story? Few years ago, I lived in my aunt"s house for my studying. My aunt's house is in a city where is very noisy and always has traffic jam.I can't stand the noisiness and the narrow space. Finally, I decided to remove to a village. I have been living in that peaceful village with my family for two years. There are golden paddy fields lying beside a small river. People also grow colorful flowers to sell at the market on 15th day every month. When I read your comment, I feel that you are describing my village ( That is incredible) but there are no trains crossing my village- What a pity!-
Sometimes I want to have a simple life : reading books when it is rainy and gardening when it is sunny. ( Haha)
Although I live in the village, I go to my school in town every day and I often comeback to the city to visit my aunt and buy books at weekend.
( hadia, Elsa ,both of you are friendly girl!. I admire you)
Giang

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 13 October, 2015 - 09:50

Nice to meet you too, gianggiangphi!
Thanks for liking my comment. I don't mind you told your story. I am even happy to read your story and know that your village and my described village have almost same conditions.
By the way, I didn't find my name in the last sentence..... am I not friendly??
Just kidding, gianggianphi !! :)
Best wishes
sanpai28

gianggiang 13 October, 2015 - 13:31

Hi sanpai28. You are friendly,too *10^n (haha)
You know, Hadia, Elsa are my friends. We have known each other for days on this website.Having conversations with them really gives me determination to study English better.
..........Have a good day........!!
Giang

hadia 12 October, 2015 - 15:52

Thanks Giang!
You're a good person too! It's sad to hear that there are no trains!But that's okay! I liked your approach of reading books!
Well, gardening is an admirable hobby( I guess you're interested in botanical world.......)
Keep buying books and reading them :))))))
Best wishes.
Hadia

gianggiang 13 October, 2015 - 07:48

Hi Hadia, this is the third time I have replied your comments. Can you guess why I admire you? Because you are very good at English although you are not a native speaker. ( And because you are a friendly girl,too)
(( I don't know if my suggestion makes you feel inconvenient but I am very happy if you help me improve my English
-I mean if I don't understand some new English words, phrase verbs or idioms ,would you mind explaining them to me? Many thanks
It is easier to ask a friend than a teacher.:)
{ Today I have done a test to check my English level. The result shows that my English grammar is
advanced?????? . There is a fact that my reading skill is quite good,but the rest are bad. ( Especially at writing and speaking)That is reason why my comments are simple and easy to read.When you are reading my comments, Have you ever feel that you are reading a comment's child?
Best wishes-- Giang

hadia 13 October, 2015 - 15:36

Hi Giang!
Many many thanks to you for your lovely reply! I felt really very happy when you commented about my English! I think in this way I'll try to make it more better and I'll improve it! :)))))
Well, I'll be glad if we exchange our knowledge about English on this site! I'm also a learner and I think I'll be very happy if we ask each other about different things which seem difficult to us!
I'm very happy to listen about your English test! I don't think that your comments seem to be a child's comment! Rather I like reading your comments! The vocabulary you use in your comments is good and I feel that my comments are also simple which are understandable too! Please don't think that you're bad at English! We all are Learners and it's good that we start with simpler language........While writing comments on this site you'll observe that you are learning more new words and improving your English! In this way, after some time you'll not feel but the people around you will feel that your English is very good! Huh, And hence you'll be a good English speaker!
I think that you write very nicely! Just believe in yourself................
"You're smarter than you Think'' :))))))
Stay Blessed~!
Hadia

gianggiang 14 October, 2015 - 13:22

Hi Hadia, I feel more confident after reading your comment. I will try my best to finish all exercises on this website ( Although it is a very hard and time-consuming duty (haha)) I know this site by chance ( When I was reading a magazine for teen, I saw its address) and this unfold before me opportunities to improve my English. I agree with your idea" you won't feel but people around you will feel that".My English now is better than before but it is not enough to satisfy myself.
And.......and,hadia, your comment make me confused. I mean, I don't deserve to receive your compliment. !!!
( I often tend to finish a comment with a compliment. According to me,it is only a polite and common way that we use when we have conversation with strangers. So, I don't know if my feeling is true,but I feel that there is a invisible wall between us. That 's why I am always impressed by funny comments. ( such as Elsa's)
best wishes Giang

Elsa007 15 October, 2015 - 22:08

Hi Ginag!
I'm happy to impress you! :))
I just wanted to know why you feel views about your better English from others are not enough to satisfy yourself?? Are you still unhappy even though I (your dear friend!!) tell you "Your English writing is super!!!" ? :))
Elsa

gianggiang 16 October, 2015 - 11:43

I also don't know why but I can appreciate exactly my ability. ( Before doing anything, I can estimate how many percents for me to succeed and how much time I spend finishing it.) Others' appreciation is relatively right.!!!!
( A feeling of guilt turned up in my mind because we are talking about everything which doesn't relate to the topic" a long trip to Euro") ??? Very sorry to the author./.

Elsa007 17 October, 2015 - 08:27

Hi Giang!
Thank you for the reply!
Wow….. wordless… I'm very impressed by your meticulousness!! Honestly, that's what I'm no good at! Okay, now I understand why you care much about your achievement! Yes, you deserve to get a lot of rewards!!
For me, on the other hand…. I tend to leave things to chance, so I know I don't deserve nothing from the start….:P Ooooh, I'm terrible, you know, too lazy!! I've been often told face to face by people who are diligent and good planners; "I can't believe how could the lazy person like you live in easy circumstances without toils! It's unfair!" Well… actually I myself am hard worker, but with lack of meticulousness…. I really wish I was more meticulous person, I envy you Giang!!
At least, I want to be in the same boat with you!! Why don't we come into line!? :P
Elsa :)))

gianggiang 18 October, 2015 - 11:23

Hi Elsa!
I am a quite meticulous person but I don't appreciate you like them. There is a saying that : " I always chose a lazy person to do a difficult job because he will find an easy way to do it"--Bill Gate. Sound good!
( But we shouldn't be lazy !)

Elsa007 19 October, 2015 - 06:53

Hi Giang,
Wow…. you're the nicest kid l I've ever met!
I know what you mean…..! I always chose a meticulous person to do a difficult job because s/he will find a perfect way to do it" --Elsa. Sound good, doesn't it?? :)))

hadia 15 October, 2015 - 15:18

Hi Giang!
Confused, huh???? I'm sorry for that................I hope I don't sound patronizing!.......Well, Never underestimate yourself!!! Um..Hmm...... I meant that you're quite intelligent but a little shy :))) You think wisely but you don't think about yourself like this!! For example you've replied to my compliment as " I don't deserve to receive your compliment. !!! " This is the thing I want to tell :))) That you are wise but you think you aren't deserving for this very compliment! Well! Leave it :)))
You were talking about an invisible wall??? I can't understand what you meant to say.....I'm sorry for that :)
It's good if you like funny comments :D Just like those of Elsa"s! But you know that every one has his/her own writing style! We have our own way of opting different things :)) Different people adore different styles of writing............So do We! I'm sorry if you felt bad in reading any of my comments! But I just praised you........I also admire Elsa's writing style but I Can not write like her............Cuz every one has it's own writing standards..........like me for instance.......I like writing simply :)))))
Again sorry for the construction of wall! I hope it will be destructed soon :DD
Best wishes,
Hadia <3

gianggiang 16 October, 2015 - 12:30

HI Hadia,I think you are misunderstanding me. I like funny comments, this doesn't mean" I don't like insightful comments" I agree with your idea " every one has their own writing styles" We should respect each other.
And about the invisible wall, well, I will climb over it and walk toward you. ( We don't need to destruct it !!!)
Uhm, Hadia, I would like to give you special presents. I hope you will like them. They are songs about friendship.
( " Forever friend" and " Proud of you". Fiona Fung sang these songs. Listen to them and tell me your feeling!
Giang

hadia 16 October, 2015 - 17:06

Hi Dear Giang!
I hope that I'm not bothering you! If so, then I'm really sorry!
Well, thanks for your reply........Thank God! you're not angry at my any comments :)))
I'm happy that you adore everyone's way of thinking :))))
Well, wall???? I think it should be completely destroyed so that you may have ease to come towards me :)) lol! There should be no hurdles in our road to friendship :) I hope there wouldn't be any :)
By the way I felt lovely and wonderful listening those songs...................this lady has truly got a mesmerizing tone ;)
I'm happy with my gifts........................It was beyond my happiness limit when I received them at my door ;))) LOL
Thanks once again dear!
Your Bestie,
Hadia

gianggiang 17 October, 2015 - 07:50

" Your bestie" ? Oh!I am very happy about this ! Let's sing those songs together!
"....... Forever friendddd, oh you and me, hand in hand to everywhere... be my friend. We are forever friends.....'
You and I will hand in hand to everywhere in this website!! ( haha) Is it OK?
Giang

Elsa007 17 October, 2015 - 13:29

Hi Hadia & Giang!
Your bestie, from Elsa! --- You can't leave me :))) ☆
The song sounds very lovely!! Haha… you're so funny, giant!? I'm imaging you singing the song so happily!
"…….Forever friendddd, oh you and me, hand in hand to everywhere…be my friend. We are forever friends….." :)))
Elsa

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 14 October, 2015 - 12:07

Hello, hadia and Giang!
Sorry for interrupting your conversations. I agree with you, hadia. I also don't think that your comment seems like a child's comment, Giang ......and you too, hadia, your comments are understandable and simple but with a great simplicity with a high writing standard!!!
We all have each writing style with very different and amazing own ideas!!! So, we all should be proud of and admire ourselves. We should not worry about our mistakes. We can't live our life smoothly without any mistakes because we are humans!!!Even very precise robots make a lot of mistakes. Mistakes you did are not your failure of your whole life.They'll even make our learning better in future. So, don't worry and just keep writing........I like all of your comments and admire you all, my friends!!! :)
With best wishes

hadia 14 October, 2015 - 15:04

Hi sanpai!
Don't be sorry....I like talking with everyone in a group!
You're absolutely right! We must admire ourselves......And shouldn't worry about the mistakes Because we are humans and Humans make mistakes......! Making mistakes is not disgrace rather learning from them make us better!
Thanks for your comment :)
Best wishes to You too :D

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 15 October, 2015 - 11:04

Hello hadia!
I'm fine. Thanks for your reply and agreeing my thoughts. :) You are a very,very nice friend for me, hadia! And I admire you much. :)))
Best wishes too,

hadia 15 October, 2015 - 15:20

Hi Sanpai!
I'm blushing ( LOL) :DD Thanks a looooot! I adore your loving nature :)))
Stay blessed~!

Elsa007 14 October, 2015 - 13:16

Hi sanpai,
Wow… your glowing belief sounds great! What do you think about my writing?
Do you like a writing like a short Indian summer or the one like early summer rain?
I mean, simplicity or complication??

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 15 October, 2015 - 10:57

Oh , I forgot to answer your question. I like neither too simple nor too complicated one but just a writing in the medium style. I like your examples to simplicity and complication! It's amazing....how do you get this wonderful idea??? :D

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 15 October, 2015 - 10:48

Hi my dear friend, Elsa,
Thanks for your appreciation! I think your writing is ......totally GREAT! Your writing is very good and admirable. And you also have humour sense. I much like your comments indeed. I know you all have better writings than mine. I don't deserve with appreciation from you, my friends.... I don't understand why you think I'm better in writing than you, Elsa and hadia?

Elsa007 15 October, 2015 - 20:26

Thank you, sapai, for your great appreciation!!
Why I think you're better in writing than me?
Well, it seems that your writing is in your true color! It shows your uncanny ability to see through things and uprightness which I don't have, unfortunately…..!
Smart Hadia + insightful Giang + humorous Elsa = _________
What's your guess, ginag?? :)))

gianggiang 16 October, 2015 - 11:13

Well, Smart Hadia + insightful Giang+ humorous Elsa + friendly Sanpai =..........(Sound great!)

Elsa007 17 October, 2015 - 13:56

Yeah….absolutely sounds great, giang!
It seems a perfect person, if they are all together! :))))

gianggiang 16 October, 2015 - 11:05

Hi Elsa, I have two answers for your question. Who do you expect to answer it ? ( a mathematician, a poet or a child )
Giang

Elsa007 17 October, 2015 - 13:54

Hi Giang, well, I expect a child's answer first!
Curz... you're a kid, aren't you…? :)))
Can't wait, tell me! ☆
Elsa

Elsa007 19 October, 2015 - 07:00

Thanks, giangginag!
I think I understand……………. :D
Well, what would mathematician answer the question??
I know……, the answer should be "∞ ", right? :)))
Elsa ∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

hadia 15 October, 2015 - 15:25

Hi sanpai!
I not only just THINK but I'm sure that you're better than me in writing :)))))) Keep writing more and more and you'll realize that :)

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 16 October, 2015 - 12:03

Hi hadia and Elsa, :)
Aww.....the replies from you both are so lovely. <3 Thank you very much. Think about how much I'm happy in reading your replies......I'm so so happy that you two appreciate me, my friends! I appreciate you both so much, too. You all have abilities that I have! :) I'm sure with this. I am so glad and always think how Lucky I am to be friends with you, hadia and Elsa!!! (by the way, the emoticon I used "<3 heart" was learnt from you. Honestly, I didn't know that before. Thanks again, emoticon teachers, Ha Ha :D)
Looking forward to the forever friendship, :)))

Elsa007 17 October, 2015 - 14:00

Hi Sanpai & Hadia!
I like it: <3 <3 <3 !!
Was it an ice cream corn or heart?? (ha ha)…..I like both! :)))))