A Roman holiday

18
EleanorC

Last weekend I visited Rome for the first time. I spent three busy days in the Italian capital, seeing lots of tourist attractions and walking down streets lit with Christmas decorations. Here are the things that I loved most about the city.

1) The History
Rome is one of the most ancient cities in the world and is full of wonderful relics from its distant past. These monuments include the Roman Forum and the vast Coliseum where gladiators used to fight each other until death and hunt exotic animals. The ruins of buildings and temples are fascinating: you can’t quite believe how old they are.

2) The Art
I studied the masterpieces of the Renaissance period at university and was very excited to see them in real life. We walked around the museum in Vatican City and saw plenty of famous sculptures. The best part of the visit was, without a doubt, the Sistine Chapel ceiling, painted in the early 16th century by the great Michelangelo. It was so breathtaking that I couldn’t tear my eyes away from it.

3) The food
In Rome, there is a lot of food on offer for tourists but some of it isn’t very good quality. I made an effort to find authentic restaurants to taste the popular meals of the region, like pasta with tomato, onion and bacon. I also loved eating ice cream and hot chocolate under the Christmas lights.

4) The shopping
Rome has lots of luxury boutiques but also plenty of shops that were more in my price range! It was a perfect opportunity to go and buy presents for my family and friends. There was also a Christmas market, where I bought a sparkly decoration for the tree.

I love seeing new places, especially capital cities. I have been very lucky this year because I also visited Amsterdam and New York in the summer. Hopefully I’ll get to travel even more in the future. I would love to see Prague, Budapest and explore other places outside of Europe. Where do you think I should go next?  

Do you like travelling? In your opinion, what is the best city in the world?

francesca97it's picture
francesca97it 7 December, 2014 - 19:40

I am Italian and my sister lives in rome, so i know very well this city. It is very beutiful, but i would not live there becouse i don't like big city. I love to visit other place and other country, especialy small town, where the tradition is important. I viseted only paris and some german towns. I hope will visit other country.

MALINE 16 August, 2014 - 22:44

I love travelling, I think that you have to know your Country first before going abroad,otherwise what would you say to people if they ask about your country,you can´t explain or love something you don´t know.

dzeni 22 February, 2014 - 10:23

I really like travelling. I do not know what is the best city in the world because every city has something interesting and pretty.

justcricketforme 20 December, 2013 - 05:21

I love travelling!!!!!! I've visited all of Pakistan and it's awesome! Now I'm looking foreward to travell my neighbouring countries. In my opinion Notts or Nottingham is the best city. Mainly, I guess because half of my family lives there and Robin Hood and Trent Bridge, not the home of cricket but, a great history in cricket.

EleanorC's picture
EleanorC 13 December, 2013 - 15:02

I haven't visited Belgrade, Prague or Sarajevo: I will add them to my list! I don't think I'll ever get bored of travelling. There are so many places to see and lots of new cultures to discover :) 

Klein's picture
Klein 12 December, 2013 - 16:24

I love travelling. I would like to travell all around the world. I would like to visit Moscow sometime. In my opinion, the best city i've ever visited is Belgrade.. :D

FaTSheeP's picture
FaTSheeP 12 December, 2013 - 15:53

I love traveling. I like eating very much. So, i always taste the cuisine and traditional food when i visited other countries. My favorite country is Taiwan. Because there are lot of "night market". In there, various food that we can taste.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 12 December, 2013 - 14:33

The best city to visit is Sarajevo the capital of Bosnia and Herzegovina. There you can see different cultures and meet Bosnians who radiate hospitality. They are good people, but to this day they have ugly Shade of war that was twenty years ago. Bosnians are humorous. one can also see a lot of cultural monuments. Churches, synagogues and mosques provide a variety of Sarajevo, patchwork. The best food in Bosnia. Bosnia is not at all expensive. You can have a wonderful time for little money and you'll have wonderful memories of this city.
Also, it is a beautiful city.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 11 December, 2013 - 19:27

I love traveling,I love visited new countries and meet new people......I think the best city i the world is miami

Niluh 11 December, 2013 - 14:42

Absolutely, i love travelling! I think London and Paris are the best cities for me, i am dreaming to visit Paris and London someday. I also want to travel to another cities in the world. Honestly, i never go abroad before and living abroad is one of my dreams, i wish when i grow up i can study and live abroad :)

Natalija 11 December, 2013 - 14:22

I adore traveling, I'm absolutely into it and I have an itchy feet. I would like to visit all countries in the world. I have been to many big cities, but Belgrade, the capital of my country, is the best city in the world for me. Not just because of its monuments, touristic attractions and stuff like that, but because of memories and emotions. For me, there is no prettier city than the one you were born in.
I like other cities too, and Prague is the most beautiful city I've been to.