Seafood discovery

8
HannahG

During the summer, I spent five weeks working as an au-pair in Galicia, a beautiful part of northern Spain, and the pinnacle of the finest Spanish seafood!

Before my experience as an au-pair, I wasn’t very adventurous with seafood, avoiding anything that actually resembled a fish… However, as I don’t eat meat (I’m a pescatarian) and my au-pair family prepared meals every day that tended to include something from the sea, I was exposed to a whole new variety of food. I was encouraged to move out of my comfort zone (to be polite) but it also opened a door that I haven’t closed since!

I was quite concerned at first, when a plate full of shells filled with what looked like slugs was placed in front of me. However, I watched the five year old, tucking into squid tentacles with a huge smile on her face. So I imitated her actions – if she could do it, I could do it! I copied the seven year old, who showed me how to chop off the head of a king prawn, pull off the legs and then remove the outer skin, before tossing the middle part into my mouth - which to my surprise – turned out to be delicious! As the weeks progressed, I was no longer fazed when a full fish: head, eyes and teeth included, was placed on the table. I would help the family prepare homemade sushi and would willingly choose a fish option I had never tried on the menu.

Although it’s become apparent that I do enjoy a wide variety of seafood, I do still have my boundaries! I spent one afternoon with the children and their grandparents who eagerly ordered the Galician delicacy – octopus. It was something that really did not appeal to me; however the grandparents were watching me expectantly to try some. So hesitantly, I took a bite, smiled awkwardly and then spat it into my napkin when they weren’t looking! I felt like I was chewing a balloon that popped in my mouth. 

So my advice to you is to try new things, but things that you feel comfortable with. Who knows, you might surprise yourself by discovering a new favourite food you never thought you’d like! Or, on the other hand, you might need a few extra napkins on the table …

What is your favourite food? What food have you never tried before?

Zoezoe's picture
Zoezoe 10 December, 2017 - 19:36

I love all kinds of spicy foods! In my country we have really spicy food and, although we eat a lot of meat, I don't like it very much. I have never tried snails and insects that I've that people in other countries eat.

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 5 October, 2015 - 09:02

To tell my favourite foods, this page won't be enough. Hahaha...that's only joking! :D My favourite foods are some Italian dishes like pizza, spaghetti and some fast foods such as hamburger, sandwich and the dessert, ice-cream and meat of almost every type. So you can say I am a carnivore. Haha :b :D . And I also like my traditional food. It is called monhingkha. We usually eat this as a breakfast in our country. It is a very typical and popular dish in my country. It is a dish made with rice noodle and fish soup. The main ingredient is fresh fish. We usually eat this with crushed fries of bean or cucurbit as we call bu. It smells very good and it tastes so amazing and delicious. Hmm, very yummy. If you visited my country someday, I advise that you should try this.I am sure you would like it.
I have never tried the Scotland dish haggis. I have first known in this site. I wanna give it a try. Some say it is very tasty but some say that it smells horrible. I want to know which one is true. The dish I have never tried and I won't never try in the future is a kind of Korean dish which contains half-dead and half-alive cutted pieces of octopus!! If the dish was placed in front of me, I would scream and run away not looking back!!!!

Elsa007 2 March, 2015 - 13:01

By the way, what does 'I watched the five year old,…. I copied the seven year old' mean?? I failed to get the message of 5(7) year old...

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 2 March, 2015 - 16:02

Hi Elsa007,
Hannah, the blogger who wrote this post, was working as an au pair and looking after two children aged 5 and 7. So, 'I watched the five year old' and 'I copied the 7 year old' means that she saw how the children were eating the seafood and she copied them to learn how to open the shellfish. Is that clear now? 
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Elsa007 3 March, 2015 - 00:25

Aha! it all makes sense now. Thank you!
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the story of bloggers! :-)

Elsa007 1 March, 2015 - 11:25

What looked like slugs?! Oh no, I haven't even thought about it! My comfort zone has come under the shadow of preoccupation of the way the food looks…! :) In fact, I've never tried locust, bear, frog, snail, snake and so on…!

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 27 February, 2015 - 08:03

My favorite food is pizza and ''burek''. My father is pizzamaker so I've eaten pizza since I was born hahah ;-)
And ''burek'' is national and traditional food in Bosnia and Herzegovina so I don't know any person here, who don't like it. We make ''burek'' with lots of meat and it can be with meat and potatoes. I've never eaten squids and other seafood.