Shrove Tuesday

2
RosemaryM

Shrove Tuesday, commonly referred to as 'Pancake Day', is one of my favourite days of the year! Shrove Tuesday always falls 47 days before Easter Sunday - which means the date that we celebrate Pancake Day changes every year. This year, it will be celebrated on Tuesday 17th February. Shrove Tuesday is the last day before Lent starts. In the past, this meant that people would use up all the butter and eggs (which weren't allowed to be eaten during Lent) to make pancakes before Lent began.

When I was younger, my mum would make pancakes for tea. When I went into school the next day, everyone would compare how many pancakes they had managed to eat the night before! I like to have my pancakes with lemon and sugar, but many people like adding jam or Nutella to their pancakes. Pancakes are very easy to make and it's great fun trying to toss pancakes in the air! You can find lots of recipes online if you want to give it a go.

During Lent, many people give something up - for example biscuits or caffeine. A few years ago I gave up crisps; now I don't eat them very often at all! I have also tried giving up sweets and all forms of chocolate at the same time. I really missed having a hot chocolate before bed but I was pleased that I succeeded at going without it for so long. This year, I have decided that I won't give anything up. This is because I want to make the most of my year abroad - whilst in France it would be a shame to deprive myself of all their wonderful bakery delights. Some people choose to take something up for Lent instead - for example going for a jog every morning. 

Whether or not you choose to give up (or take up!) anything for Lent, everyone can enjoy pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. My boyfriend is visiting me next week - it'll be so much nicer to celebrate Pancake Day with him, instead of just eating pancakes alone!

Have you ever made pancakes? Do you have any special foods you make on special days of the year in your country? 

Yeah! i've made pancakes. In our country there is a food similar to pancakes it's known as paratha! it tastes yummy,usually we have it in our breakfast!

Sonya34's picture
Sonya34 17 February, 2015 - 03:19

Hi everybody,
I am new in this website. I like this website so much it design so beautiful many things interesting here.
i ever made pancake it taste yummy but in my country the name of pancake is not famous and not special.
the famous and special foods in my country are chili food with rice we can found chili foods on eidul fitri's day example of chili foods:rendang,chicken curry,meat curry and dendeng bakar that all my country's special foods on eidul fitri's day.