South America - not as warm as you might think

12
IainG

There are stereotypes about every nation and every continent in the world: They say that Mexicans are lazy, Germans are punctual and British people are forever talking about the weather. 

In talking about the weather with my fellow countrymen, I realise that we, along with many others I presume, have stereotypes about the weather around the world.

Now living in South America, I constantly come across the notion that this is a very hot place.  Back in the UK, there is a myth that here  in South America, the sun is always shining and that the locals do not even know what cold feels like.

I suppose it does stand to reason: generally speaking, the closer you are to the Equator, the warmer it will be.  And, indeed, if you are in coastal areas of Colombia, Ecuador, and other neighbouring countries, the temperatures can be exceptionally high, regularly going over 30º Celsius. 

The weather in many places in South America can be very pleasant but just it is a continent of diverse peoples, traditions and cultures, it is also a land with a very varied geography and, naturally, that means a wide range of climates.

As I say, the coastal areas here are very warm but, as you move further inland and climb higher into the (spectacular) Andes, the temperature falls.

Last night I travelled by bus from Guayaquil (in the lowlands of Ecuador) up to Quito, which sits at some 2700m above sea level.  As the bus left Guayaquil, the windows were wide open as a refreshing breeze provided relief from the almost unbearable heat (high even at midnight).  As we journeyed further along our route, however, the temperature fell drastically and the cooling breeze turned to a bitter and sharp wind.

Now in Quito, sitting in the strong mid-afternoon sun, it is pleasant enough to walk around in just a t-shirt.  Nonetheless, I know that this warmth will soon fade away and it will be a cold night.  In a city where it rains eight months out of the year, the night will be cold and, in spite of all the people who think I sleep with the air conditioning on full blast, the reality is that I will be sleeping - or shivering - under a pile of thick and heavy blankets.

What is your favourite kind of weather? Do you like being in the sun or do you prefer the cold?

Carbi's picture
Carbi 15 September, 2014 - 20:52

I think that the weather has to be diffrent in every part of the world, because every country has got a diffrent nature and natural conditions and If would I be in London, I would like to have sunny weather, in Vietnam would like to attempt rainy season and so on...Every kind of weather 's got something to offer you !!

SandraaB's picture
SandraaB 6 April, 2014 - 20:52

I love rain and sun too.Its true that here are myths about every nation in the world,and the thing with South America is that sometimes it rains more than here lol I have a really great friend in Buenos Aires and the climateis not as warm as we really think it is

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 7 February, 2014 - 17:56

I like spring.Spring will come with all birds,flowers and fruits.The weather will become warm.Birds will return home.They will sing in the gardens and parks.I shall listen to their beautiful songs.There will be a lot of flowers in the gardens.I shall pick up tulips,daffodils,roses and poppies in gardens.

MALINE 11 January, 2014 - 15:36

I preffer cold weather ´cause you can warm you up with hot beverages or clothes but when it´s hot you can drink cold beverages or turn on a fan and you´ll be hot.

justcricketforme 10 January, 2014 - 01:50

I prefer winters because it's always fun to feel the chilly air and feel cold. And I like winter because of this reason too that we have dry fruits in it.

Mim's picture
Mim 6 January, 2014 - 20:02

I like the summer season .The summer season is the best weather becouse i can go the seaside,and i love beace and in the summer is holiday.In Italy only 3months is summer,after 9months is winter so every people who live in italy like a sunny day,and a sunny day good for health

260344's picture
260344 6 January, 2014 - 07:55

In my country there are seasons like winter, spring, summer and autumn. I really love sun and sea, and I love summer because of that. I do not like cold.

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 5 January, 2014 - 20:43

i prefer both of them. I like sun `cause i go on the beach.
i like the cold weather `cause i love snow.

Niluh 5 January, 2014 - 10:06

I love rainy season, well in the summer it's really hot and dry here. My country lies on the equator, Pontianak is name of city in my country that the closest to the equator.
I can't stand being in the sun, even inside my room (in the afternoon), i turn fan on but i still feel my body sweating.