A taste of culture at home - foreign food

5
MeganC

With there being so many different cultures to discover across the world, I often find myself contemplating how I will ever begin to explore the traditions of such a vaste number of countries. Finally, I have found an answer to this question, and that answer is food.

Food is an important aspect of any culture, and often becomes the basis for cultural stereotypes. England, for example, is renowned for its Sunday roasts, whilst snails and frogs legs are typically  associated with France. Stereotypes aside, trying different cuisines can be a great way of exploring foreign culture in the comfort of your own home, providing a taste of culture whilst also avoiding the high costs of travel.

There are an abundance of cheap and simple recipes online these days, so you need not be an expert chef if you wish to cook some foreign food. Indeed, online websites provide a great opportunity for young people who want to learn to cook. This way, you can avoid the habit of ordering takeaways on a daily basis when you leave home. In addition, most recipe websites now have different pages for different types of cuisine, so it is easier than ever to discover popular foreign food.

Not adventurous with food? Whilst I do consider myself relatively adventurous with food, you will not find me trying snails anytime soon. However, in my own research, I have found many recipes that use everyday ingredients with different cultural twists. This could therefore be a perfect option if you are not overly adventurous with food, or simply if you fancy a slight change from your routine weekly meals.

Whether you’re a budding cook, or simply a lover of food, foreign cuisine could be the perfect solution to all your cultural worries, providing a great way of enjoying a culture whilst avoiding excessive costs.

Do you like trying food from different countries? Do you use cookery books or the internet to find new recipes? 

AliceZ's picture
AliceZ 21 April, 2016 - 12:48

Yes I would like to try some food from different countries if they don't look bad or taste bad. And I usually find new recipes on the internet because the internet is freeXD and has more recipes than cookery books.

Yeah! I like to taste recipes of different countries. I use cookery books but mostly internet helps me to make them!

smile12's picture
smile12 22 October, 2014 - 20:44

I use internet to find new recipes. I like to try new recipes, to cook something special for my family and friends. I have a lot of friends who lives abroad, so when they return home they come with new ideas about cooking food. For example, I have a friends that lives in Italy. She told me the secrets of italian cuisine, so for me it's a pleasure to stay with her. For hours we only talk about food and new recipes.

MeganC's picture
MeganC 24 October, 2014 - 21:50

I am in a similar situation. I am currently in France, and I am taking advantage of my time here by learning about French cuisine. I'm hoping to pick up a lot of cooking tips for when I return to England! 

alicj's picture
alicj 14 October, 2014 - 19:17

of course i like to try a foreigen food but i am not a good chef so if i want to try a new food i will go to a resturant or ask my mum to make it for me