A Taste of French Cuisine

26
JohnM

I lived in France for three months in a small city called Montbéliard. My time there wasn't long, and it wasn't very exciting, but I tried to make the most of it by exploring as much French culture as possible...particularly, la cuisine française. The French love their food, there's no doubt about it. They have a real passion for both cooking and tasting – and this passion comes in various forms.

I’d say that something unique about France is its love for bread, cakes and pastries. Bakeries specialised in cakes (‘pâtisseries’), normally merged with regular baker’s shops (‘boulangeries’), are found all over the country. Every morning, for example, the Montbéliard locals would walk to and from their favourite baker’s shop with a paper bag of warm baguettes, just made and ready to eat. I soon adopted this routine and whether I wanted some fresh bread for soup or I felt like something sweet, it didn’t take me much effort to find the nearest pâtisserie, full of delicious cakes and treats – my favourites being croissants, pains au chocolat and tartes aux fraises. But there were also various sandwiches, prepared baguettes and even hot foods like paninis, croque-monsieurs and quiche.

It’s very easy to find sweet treats in France. Sometimes I’d order a chocolate crepe with a coffee; in fact, I lived very close to a crêperie that offered a variety of crepes, both sweet and savoury, for an actual meal or just for desert. But I always chose the crêpe au nutella – which was really good.

Although there weren’t many, I managed to find a few good restaurants in Montbéliard. One night, my friends and I went to La Cocotte, where I ordered a steak, with chips and a large green salad. I had asked for my steak to be rare (‘saignant’), since I was in France, and when it arrived…well, who needs ketchup when you have blood? The steak was very red – more or less raw! But I enjoyed it. Another night, we went to a very typical French restaurant to try some snails (‘escargots’) but I still can’t decide if I liked them or not. They're unusual. But they came in a really nice sauce.

After three months in Montbéliard, I only really experienced a small part of la cuisine français. But I really liked it – even if it was quite expensive. And now that I’m back in Scotland, I'll definitely miss the occasional crêpe au nutella and I’m probably more likely to take my steaks slightly rare now...

Nonetheless, I doubt I’ll be hunting for snails in the garden and cooking them for dinner. 

What type of food is well-known in your country? What are the typical dishes?

Fatime143's picture
Fatime143 8 March, 2014 - 06:36

We have a lot of different dishes.For-example:plov,shashlik ,biti and ..........

justcricketforme 17 September, 2013 - 14:01

There are typical dishes of Pakistan. So many that I don't even know all of them. Every province has a different cuisine
Biryani is a rice dish which is widely eaten in the whole country. It's very tasty and healthy.
Nihari is a very tasty dish and it's my favourite. It is a stew consisting of slow cooked beef or lamb garnished to taste and served with cooked brains or bone marrow.
Tikka is a barbecued meat dish which is spicy. I like it a lot.
I can't writ anymore because my mouths very watery!

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 17 September, 2013 - 16:13

Hi justcricketforme,
Thanks for telling us about the typical dishes in Pakistan. You made my mouth water too! ;)
Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

fianeso's picture
fianeso 20 August, 2013 - 11:18

In my coutry , we have many tasty traditional dishes such as "Charchoura" ,"Coucous" ,"Mahjouba", "Trida"
"Rfis";
And many sweetmeets like "Makroud", "Baklaoua","Ghribia"...........ect.
Just for information in algerian sweetmeets we use a big quantity of honey.Bye bye ,and i hope that one day you will eat one of these meals.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 29 July, 2013 - 14:52

Albania have so much traditional dishes very special and delicious......

Try and you will be amazing :)

SARAH K's picture
SARAH K 17 July, 2013 - 09:43

Albanian traditional cuisine is mainly influenced by the Turkish cuisine (because the stayed in Albania for 500 years).
WE have so many cuisine traditions

MALINE 14 July, 2013 - 18:07

Hi all, Mexican cuisine is on Top 10, here we have lots of different dishes from sweet to salty and every State has its own typical dish for example in Oaxaca there is the "Amarillo" or yellow Mole and the Tlayudas ( kind of big tortilla with a salty kind of butter and on top you add marinated meat and avocado. In Puebla you can find "Mole" a sauce with a lot of ingredients,I think they are like 32 it´s a spicy dish.
In Veracruz you will find a lot of different sea food and an extended way to cook them.
In Monterrey you can find "Cabrito" a goat foal and "Machaca" its is a dried,spiced beef.
I could go on and on and I´ll never end.I really hope that one day you visit México and try one of these dishes.Bye,bye

serap's picture
serap 11 July, 2013 - 17:43

I am from turkey and our kitchen is very good and delicious. There are so many food and dessert. One of them is pasty. This is a very delicious food for us. And ''baklava'' is a dessert. It is good and tasty. I want you to eat our food. :-)

Natalija 13 July, 2013 - 11:49

When you mentioned baklava, my mouth started watering:). Baklava is one of my fave pastries, and I know how to prepare it, and I think I will make it now:).

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 27 June, 2013 - 15:55

In Italy pizzas and spaghetti are well-known.
Italy is well-known and for its sweets, ice-creams ecc....
Now that i remembered all this delicious things.....i wanna eat all them...
YUMMY. :D

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 29 June, 2013 - 13:49

Hi John Moran
I`m glad you like my country food !
Thanks for your part of the sentences "but who doesn`t "... :)

47mervan's picture
47mervan 24 June, 2013 - 21:28

I am from Turkey and i live in Mardin
In my area we eat wonderful meals.It is our traditional meals.Here same examples:
-"Yaprak Sarması"(It's make with grapes's leaf and rice.You put the rice on the leaf and the leaf should cover the rice)
-"İçli Köfte"
-Sembüsek" and i can lots of examples like these.
And here is some dessert:
-"Kıliçe"
-"Çörek"
-"Kurabiye"and similar.

Jonathan - Coor... 25 June, 2013 - 04:36

Hi 47mervan! They sound wonderful. I like sweet things more than anything else so dessert is my favourite part of the meal. Could you explain to us what those three desserts are and what they're made of?

Jona's picture
Jona 21 June, 2013 - 16:38

Here in Albania we have a lot of traditional dishes.Our cuisine is mainly influenced from Turkish,Greek and Italian cuisine and some of her characteristics are using fresh products like Mediterranean herbs,olive oil,meat,vegetables and butter and in North the use of cream.
Some traditional dishes include:
-"tavë kosi" prepared with lamb,yoghurt,eggs and wheat flour.It's very delicious..
-"ballokume"(prepared on March 14th ,traditionally in Elbasan) is a dessert made with corn flour,butter,eggs and sugar.
-"speca të mbushur"(stuffed peppers) which consists of rice,meat and vegetables (mainly onions,tomatoes,etc)
-"kukurec" is made with the intestines of the lamb(cleaned extremely well)
-"gliko" (jam)
-etc,etc
Albanian cuisine is very rich and tasteful.

Natalija 16 June, 2013 - 09:58

I was born in Paris. When I moved from France, I missed it a lot, and I still miss it. I usually spend two weeks there a year, because my bosom friends are there, and many other family friends, and so many memories.

Natalija 13 June, 2013 - 21:01

First, I'd like to say that French cuisine is my favourite one, next to Mediterranean, of course. I was born in France, so I grew up eating their food, and I like croissants and cafe au lait the most.
Serbia has its cuisine, and it's one of the most popular cuisines in Balcan. It derives from Turkish cuisine a lot, therefore from Arabic as well, and from other Balcan countries, but although it's not completely original, I think it's one of the best, since it has variety of dishes. But I don't like our kitchen so much, because it's too heavy for my taste. Meals're usually made from meat, and since I'm vegetarian, I can't eat it. For example, the most famous Serbian dish is "sarma". It's called "dolma" in Turkey and Azerbaijan, and it's made from meat, rolled in cabbage leaves. There's no family who doesn't prepare "sarma" for New Year or for Christmas. My favourite Serbian dish is proja. It's made form especial kind of flour, cheese and some other ingredients, and it's so delicious. I like to eat it for dinner, with yogurt.
Serbia is famous for its bread, 'pogaca", than "slatko"-it's our main sign, and when some foreigner comes to Serbian house, he's first offered "slatko". "Slatko" is usually made from sugar, and any kind of fruit-plum, peach etc. If you want to feel the real taste of Serbian cuisine, than you should try "sarma", "proja", "slatko", and the most important-reforma cake(made from lots of chocolate and nuts)-my favourite.

Jona's picture
Jona 21 June, 2013 - 16:47

Also in my country we cook "dollma".
I have tried "pogaca" and I liked it.Can you give me any recipe please?Cuz l'd like to cook it.

Natalija 22 June, 2013 - 12:27

H, Jona:)
I'm glad you liked "pogaca". I don't know the whole recipe now, but I'll find it out from my Mom, and I'll tell you soon.
Greetings:).

JohnM's picture
JohnM 15 June, 2013 - 23:17

Thanks for your great answer! Serbian cuisine sounds really different and interesting – I hope to try it!
P.S. Where in France were you born?
John

Lavender 13 June, 2013 - 09:19

I read somewhere that French cuisine is on Top 10 most tasty cuisines in the world. In my country there are many kinds of food, I think one of the most famous is srping roll. It is my favorite food too. Spring rolls often appear in banquets. In daily life we like to eat breads, porridge, noodles in the morning and rice (with vegetables, meat, eggs, fish) for lunch and dinner. The people like to eat many vegetables. Vegetables here are cheap, cheaper about 5-10 times than meat.