Tea time

35
EleanorC

A cup of tea is almost a symbol of British culture. As a nation, we are well known for our obsession with this particular hot drink, especially if it it is accompanied by some cake or biscuits. Here are some facts about tea drinking habits in the UK:

1) There is no real tea time
All around the world, everyone thinks that British people drink tea every day at 5 o’clock in the afternoon. In reality, we drink tea at every hour of the day, from the minute we get up to last thing before going to bed. Of course it’s quite likely that a British person will drink tea around the middle of the afternoon, but it’s also common to drink it with breakfast.

2) The perfect partner: scones
Scones are a simple kind of cake, slightly sweet and usually served with jam and cream. They are excellent with tea. In fact, if you order a ‘cream tea’ in the UK, you’ll get a teapot accompanied by a plateful of these little treats. Delicious!

3) Milk in tea
British people nearly always put milk in their tea. This seems strange to people from other European countries, who would rather drink their tea without adding anything to it. In Britain, people add a certain quantity of milk depending on taste and the tea ends up being opaque and brown instead of clear.

People are always shocked when I say that I prefer coffee to tea. Tea really is part of our cultural identity, whether we like it or not!

Do you like tea? What's the most popular drink in your country? 

Wturimjr's picture
Wturimjr 7 December, 2015 - 23:36

I like tea, but I prefer coffee, because in my country(Brazil) the weather is very hot . I drink coffee in the breakfast with milk,afther lunch and sometimes afther dinner. I drink tea at night in cold days.

PestR's picture
PestR 22 December, 2014 - 11:19

Hi LearnEnglish team,
In this article it says 5 o'clock is afternoon. But in my country we usually say evening after 4. Can you please tell me when exactly the afternoon ends and evening starts? I'm confused.
Thanks, Pest

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 22 December, 2014 - 12:05

Hi PestR,
For me, 5 o'clock is the afternoon for sure. I would usually consider the evening to begin at about 6 o'clock. I guess this changes in different countries and maybe depending on the season too, but in the UK I think evening is usually after 6pm.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

PestR's picture
PestR 2 January, 2015 - 13:47

Hi Jo,
Thank you very much. BTW what time usually British people start the day? And is the sun still up at 5 o'clock in the evening?
Regards, Pest

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 2 January, 2015 - 15:37

Hi PestR,
I don't think there is an exact time for British people to start the day and it is probably different for everyone. In my house we get up around 6.15am because my children need to take the school bus at 7am. Sometimes, in winter, it is still dark! 
In mid winter the sun has gone down by 5 o'clock, but that gradually changes and by mid summer the sun can still be seen at 8pm.
Regards, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

PestR's picture
PestR 7 January, 2015 - 14:09

Hi Tina,
It sounds like so nice to be in the UK to see how the day changes in different seasons! I'm planing to come to the UK probably in 5 years time to study European Law. So one day I'll be able to enjoy sunshine at 8pm!
Regards, Pest

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 9 November, 2014 - 16:27

Yes I love Tea + milk. The popular drink in our country is TEA!!!! 'Cause we ourselves cultivate tea in the hill country and export to counties in Europe .Plus we've got various quality brands her in Sri Lanka. Drinking a best- Quality tea will always bring the divine taste of tea to your lips.

Jenny_Greece's picture
Jenny_Greece 27 September, 2014 - 10:53

In my country, Greece, we usually drink coffee instead tea. But I really enjoy drinking tea.

Please, does somebody know how to make a British tea? I'm looking for it, but I can't find anywhere a recipe. Please help me.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 28 September, 2014 - 08:21

Hi Jenny_Greece,
There isn't really a recipe for British tea! You can buy different brands of teabags in the supermarket in Britain. There are many types nowdays. You need to boil water in a kettle or saucepan, when it has boiled you put a teabag in a mug, pour over the boiling water, let it stand for a while (this depends on how strong you like it) then take the teabag out, add some milk (again this depends on how milky you like it) and that's it! Add a teaspoon of sugar if you like sweet tea and stir. Hope this helps :)
Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

Rockyy's picture
Rockyy 30 August, 2014 - 09:54

In my country, Turkey, the most popular drink is tea like in England. But english tea and turkish tea is really diffrenet. In turkey, we drink tea in breakfasts and sometimes in meals. And we don't add anything into the tea.

AzulM's picture
AzulM 30 August, 2014 - 04:57

Yes, I like the tea. I drink it in the mornings and in the afternoons. In Argentina the national drink is the wine.

mom98's picture
mom98 26 August, 2014 - 15:19

I drink a cup of green tea every afternoon to relax myself. In Italy the most popular drink is wine, but I'm still too young to drink a glass of it.

hanies1904's picture
hanies1904 26 August, 2014 - 11:36

I love tea. In Vietnam, there are many drinks that you can enjoy. So come here and enjoy!

Katniss17's picture
Katniss17 25 August, 2014 - 16:06

I drink a cup of tea every day; it's so warm and relaxant.

My country, Portugal, is one of the leading wine producers, and Portuguese wines enjoy great popularity across Europe as they're of top quality. However, I don't drink wine and to be honest I also never tasted it.

sararosita's picture
sararosita 12 August, 2014 - 22:29

I really like tea ; it's the most popular drink in our country "morroco" we prepare it in a different way; by using some plants like mint ... but it's very delicious

aktoty_nis's picture
aktoty_nis 25 July, 2014 - 13:02

Of cours!!! In our country we drink tea at breakfast , at lunch and dinner. I can say that we can't eat without drinking tea. It's MOST IMPORTANT drink in my own country!

saba's picture
saba 24 July, 2014 - 13:00

in iran tea is the most popular drink my parents drink tea 5 times a day but i prefer coffee

Pauline17's picture
Pauline17 20 July, 2014 - 17:16

Yes, i like especially in the morning for breakfast and in the evening for supper :) In Poland tea with milk called "bawarka" :D

spongebob's picture
spongebob 18 July, 2014 - 12:24

I like tea. Camomile is my favourite. It clames my nerves and body. I drink tea about three or four times a day; after the breakfast, in the afternoon, before i go to bed.
The most popular drink in Albania is Coffee. People here drink a lot of coffee.

venkatgade10's picture
venkatgade10 16 July, 2014 - 20:36

I like tea but drink rarely but my mom used to drink tea from my child hood, without tea after breakfast i never saw her, she drinks often.I prefer drinking water mostly. In my country if you go relatives house they will make tea for you its become common in my village and most of the people do this in my country. My favorite drink is kiwi juice, i like it well and drink often.

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 15 July, 2014 - 13:39

yeah, i like very much tea. I can`t say what's the most popular drink in my country, because here people are different and like different drinks like: coffee, tea, beer, water, etc. So it`s a little bit difficult to find what drink people like most.

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 15 July, 2014 - 08:57

Tea is also very popular in VietNam, everyone usually drink. Me too. Youth people like milk in tea and more anything with tea.

Irem's picture
Irem 14 July, 2014 - 12:52

in my country tea is very popular, too.But tea with milk is not popular in here.so, i have never drunk it.I want to drink tea with milk, as a matter of fact.

thuhuongftu's picture
thuhuongftu 13 July, 2014 - 11:33

I like drinking green tea without adding anything to it because this is our cultural identify. In the ceremonies and celebrities, it's important to prepare the tea on the table.

HereWeGo's picture
HereWeGo 26 June, 2014 - 14:53

I do like tea, but I don't drink tea very often. Just when I'm sick :).
I don't know what's the most popular drink in my country, but in my family everybody prefers coffee

AnaCarvalho's picture
AnaCarvalho 25 June, 2014 - 13:46

Yes, Ilike tea but I don't drink all day. I prefer drink water but I like milk or juice, It's very nice!

Dia's picture
Dia 25 June, 2014 - 13:17

Yes , I like tea very much, I drink tea almost every day.
In my country the most popular drink is the coffe...

JuliaP's picture
JuliaP 24 June, 2014 - 19:46

Greeting from Ukraine!
We drink tea as often as possible however we like tea too much.Personally I drink green tea, but mostly I like any exotic tea with fruits or something like that.I hate black tea- it's untesty!
Also in my country are popular such drinks as kvass, kissel and beer))Welcome to Ukraine!

Niluh 22 June, 2014 - 05:04

Yes, i like tea but i don't drink tea very often, i prefer drinking mineral water a lot to drinking tea. I suppose that coffee is the most popular drink in my country, my dad and most people love drinking coffee at every hour of the day. My dad can drink more than 3 cups of coffee everyday which always make my mum shout to him to stop drinking coffee too much.