A trip on the train

12
KatieP

Here in Germany, using the train is something which I do on a daily basis. I use the train for getting to work, meeting friends, visiting the gym and going shopping so you would think that by now I had got used to using the train.

Recently however, I have had a few incidents with the train. These stories are now very funny for me to tell and to think about but due to being by myself at the time, are some of the most embarrassing things which have happened to me!

The doors close automatically on the trains after a slight beeping so that no one else attempts to get on. Recently I was daydreaming about something on my way onto the train and did not hear the beeping and ended up getting stuck in-between the closing doors. I thought someone would help me from the inside but they didn’t and I thought I would be stuck for ages, luckily I managed to pull myself inside where I was then greeted by many annoyed looking passengers. I found a seat as quickly as I could and kept my eyes out the window for the whole journey.

I thought my train journeys could not get more embarrassing until something else happened, just last week.

I was sat opposite a lady on the train and as my legs are quite long, I stretched them out a little into the aisle. Normally this does not cause any problems but for some reason as the woman opposite me got up to leave the train for her stop she did not see my legs. I therefore ended up tripping her over and as she fell over my legs she also pulled me off my seat! Both of us were laid on the floor of the train struggling to get back up again and apologising non-stop to each other. Eventually she managed to get up and left the train, I then had to just get back onto my seat. I have never been as embarrassed!

Unfortunately for both of these incidents I have been by myself which has made it more embarrassing for me as I have been laughed at or just had angry glares but luckily now I can laugh them off. I am clumsy and seem to have bad luck with things like this. Hopefully though I have now had my fair share for a while although I will just have to wait and see. 

Do you often use public transport?

Has anything embarrassing ever happened to you on the train or bus?

MALINE 21 July, 2014 - 00:25

I use public transportation on a daily basis, I use buses ( let´s call them this way because I don´t know how to translate "microbuses" ),they lead you to all different areas of the city but there are specific stops to take them ,but not all drivers respect these areas and you have to yell to the driver to stop the bus and here is where ambarrasing things happens.
The most common is to fell over someone or trip or you can spill soda or yoghurt in somebody (that happened to me once) or the classic when someone is swinging its head, you can spend half an hour with someone elses head in your shoulder!

MALINE 20 July, 2014 - 23:59

Hi,Katie, thanks for sharing those awkward moments. I have had some difficult times too.
Living in México and using the subway can lead you to experience some of the most embarrassing situations.
My first memory comes by the age of six, I remember entering the train and the doors closed but my Aunt got stocked,that was a very scarring moment to witness,fortunately She was able to get into the subway and all ended up in just a rough patch.

justcricketforme 2 February, 2014 - 08:45

I have to at times. I was carrying my bag and was really happy and excited to find my old neighbour in it I came in hurriedly and because I'm tall, I bumped my head direct! What a nice welcome! It hurted a lot but I laughed it out since yelling in pain is more embarissing than bumping your head, so I just laughed out with the other people. Ever since that, I prefer a taxi than a bus or coach because in it, your the only one sitting with the driver and you don't have such experiences in it!

Niluh 11 December, 2013 - 06:55

Exactly! I always go home from school using KWK (it's something like bus but smaller, the seats are not too much as well), nevertheless i haven't done something embarrassing, but another passenger done it :D When i went home in the hot afternoon, i was sitting in the bus wiping my sweat while somebody entered the bus and bumped her head at the door of bus (the door is not so big, so you need to stoop down)! My immediate reaction was smiling, i couldn't laugh cause i knew it would offend her.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 11 December, 2013 - 22:16

Niluh I have also banged my head on the way onto a bus! Maybe I'm just a bit too clumsy. It is funny when people have minor accidents I know, I always find it hard not to laugh but it is embarrassing as it's usually me it happens to :) 

FaTSheeP's picture
FaTSheeP 10 December, 2013 - 18:17

Absolutely yes! I always go to school by train and bus. However, I never happened embarrassing thing. In my city, Hong Kong. People are very busy, no one will watch for thing that it is none of their business. So that I never feel embarrassing

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 10 December, 2013 - 16:54

Also, I would like to go by train in Mostar too see Neretva- the most beautiful river in B&H-

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 10 December, 2013 - 16:52

Not really. I live in a small town and there is no need to use it. I only use public transport when I go to see my grandparents or my aunt.
When I was 8, my aunt, mum and me were on lake and we went home by bus. My mum and aunt forget money and we must go out.