Vienna... what's that smell?

21
Nicole Salomon

Every city has a particular smell; a scent which captures the imagination of many-a-tourist. Vienna is no different. There are plenty of smells on little streets, roads and squares, during the night and during the day. They gather, hide in the furthest corners, and step out to be tasted by any random creature and then they move on to look for new people or animals to haunt.

There is a huge variety of smells that caress and court our nose, and finally make their way into our brain, where they get stuck. We can actually recall them if we want to: mere imagination brings tears to our eyes or saliva to our mouth. However, there is a different side to smells too. Fuel emissions such as carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide cannot be removed from the picture of a city, not even from Vienna. This is especially poignant if you live on “the belt”, the outermost road of Vienna, which thousands of cars drive along every day. You can open the window as much as you like but you will never have the odour of flowers or the forest wafting into your room. There is, however, something good about “the belt”: sometimes, when I come home at night, the air is filled with the wonderful aroma of Sachertorte (chocolate cake)! I cannot work out where this smell stems from. Maybe there is a bakery nearby that produces chocolate icing at night; maybe the smell of fuel mixes with the stench that comes up from the bushes of the green area in the middle of the two roads and the smell of kebabs which you can buy at every corner. I should try and combine these three things and smell them at once (which would be no easy task!) and see what happens, but I doubt my theory already. The bakery seems the more appropriate cause for the Sachertorte smell.

When you have got some time to spend in Vienna, it is wonderful to stroll through the city just to catch some smells on your way. Hot sausages steam in the pots behind the stands where they are sold. On the zebra crossing I meet a man biting into a Käsleberkässemmel. The smell is so intense that I can feel the cheese melting on my own lips. At least I am outside. Don’t think you can avoid smells in a tram, the most popular form of transport in Vienna! Imagine going on the tram along the Ringstrasse when suddenly someone enters, holding a slice of pizza in his hands. A pungent aroma spreads through the tram, heads turn around straight away and you absorb the delicious smell with your nose. You discover at once that you are hungry. Well, there are a lot of restaurants in Vienna where you can fight against this feeling. There you can find an accumulation of the best aromas, particularly in the city centre. Barbecue, fish, curry, and come on in! Just think of the smells coming up from the plates and from the kitchen. What excellent bait to lure guests inside the restaurants. And I love bakeries, too. There is a special smell when you walk past them: I would call it a combination of pizza slices, cake, sandwiches, raisin rolls and coffee. This smell is somewhat artificial, but we only perceive the delicate aromas that we prefer most. Randomly, there is no smell of Sachertorte…

Topics: 

What's your favourite smell? What do you associate with it?

Elsa007 24 February, 2015 - 07:55

What a fascinating writing! Are you, by any chance, very clever ?? :-)
Well, speaking of the smell…. Toilet …toilet …toiLet … 'Let me alone…!!'

justcricketforme 8 February, 2014 - 09:59

The smell of a fresh pitch! Hmmmmmmmm......................that's a sense for talent and a great game, for me!

saba's picture
saba 15 September, 2013 - 17:46

i don't like any perfume i'm only intrested in some perfumes like richirichi crystalaura versace carolina herera and ect but i love the smell of dafidils it's my favorite flowre and i've heard that if you smell dafidils you won't catch a cold

Amigo110's picture
Amigo110 10 September, 2013 - 03:28

Thank for your interesting article!..I hope that u have chance to travel to my Ha Noi city, the capital of Viet Nam at this time..There is a special smell which only appears on streets in the August. The smell of a flower names " Hoa Sữa "..This special one gathers and hides in every corner of space, it's warm and sweet as the smell of milk.

June's picture
June 24 May, 2013 - 16:49

I love the smell of books. I don't know what they were made from. But when I hold a new book in my hand, I'll definitely open it and move it to my nose, if it belongs to me of course.
I love a smell not only because of itself but also because of where it is from. I love the smell of the green grass in my countryside, the smell of my mom's foods... And when I'm about to leave my secondary school, I love the smell of the black board in my class, my seat... They have become something in my head that I can't forget them.
I think if we really love a smell, it will be something more than a smell in our hearts, like you love both Vienna and its smells.

bleona iloveenglish's picture
bleona iloveenglish 25 January, 2013 - 17:02

i like this article :) . I invite you in my hometown and you will see the most beautiful flowers ever :D

\

Irini Real Madrid's picture
Irini Real Madrid 20 January, 2013 - 07:11

what a beautiful article:)
i like reading it
it was so beautiful
i like the smell of flowers like orcidea........