Votes for women

7
FrancesS

On May 7th the British people will vote in the general elections. As I was trying to decide who to vote for, I realised how lucky I was that I could vote at all.

A century ago, British women did not have the right to vote. Many women felt that this was unfair so they became members of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU). These women were known as the Suffragettes.

The Suffragettes wanted to be able to vote so they protested in many ways. Some women chained themselves to railings while others went on hunger strike. In my hometown, Epsom, one Suffragette called Emily Davison lost her life to the cause.

Epsom is famous for a horserace called the Derby. Every year the Queen comes to watch the race. In 1913, the Queen’s grandfather, George V attended the Derby. Emily Davison also went to the Derby that year to protest for women’s suffrage. As the King’s horse came galloping down the race track, Emily Davison stepped in front of the horse. She died four days later from her injuries.

Historians debate whether Emily Davison intended to make herself a martyr for the Suffragettes. Some people believe that she just wanted to tie a Suffragette flag on the horse. Doctors also found a return train ticket in her purse which suggests that she did not want to die. All I can conclude is that she must have truly believed in votes for women to have attempted something so dangerous.

When I cast my vote on May 7th, I will be thinking about Emily Davison who died in my hometown so I could have a say in how my country is run.

Are you interested in politics? Have you ever voted in an election at school or in a government election?

Well I'm not interested in the politics too much but I keep myself aware of what's happening around the country and what are political parties and politicians doing! Well I have never casted any vote in government elections but did it many times in the school! it's really fun doing all this. there are posters hanging on the branches of trees or pasted on the walls or even many people have it in their hands , shouting for supporting their party. these posters are representing a particular candidate or group which is standing for seat and ,not forgetting the great crowd of people at the voting area! well I'm waiting for the day I'd cast the vote because at this age I can't! I must wait!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 30 April, 2015 - 07:56

Same here, neither am I. But to a cast a vote, is a new thing to me, and I am waiting to reach the age to vote,
How do they hold elections in your country?
Here, in Sri lanka, we have a polling center, where each person eligible to vote gets a long slip with the candidates and they tick and put in the box, Afterwards, the people have their pinky finger nail polished, Is it the same in your country or is it different?

Hi Silvermist!
It's the same here in the Pakistan as well! I think it's same because we are Asians! All the process is same and nail is also polished. I have seen many of the peoples' hands after voting , also of my parents all have a pink or blue polished nail.

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 30 April, 2015 - 08:20

Hi Silvermist, 
Thanks for your comment - how interesting! Do you know why people have their nail polished? Is there a practical reason or is it symbolic? Thanks for telling us about this. :)
Best wishes, Joanna (LearnEnglish Teens team)

Hi Jo-Coordinator!
It's the same here in the Pakistan! I know why they have that polished nail. It is done to ensure that this particular person has casted vote so that he/she must not cast it again and safely all the voting is done.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 2 May, 2015 - 03:25

Hi Hadia,
It is indeed the very same reason it's done in Sri Lanka and I guess both countries follow similar methods because we are nearby, and are South Asians. But the elections in our country used to be a lot treacherous even with the nail polishing policy, some people who do not have a code in their lives remove and reapply which is very disadvantageous and unfair.
Whatever it is, I will remain faithful to my country.

hadia 2 May, 2015 - 17:40

Hi Slivermist! you'r right!
Well it's very unfair who do this illegal thing ..........but we should be faithful!