What's in your burger?

64
Nicole Salomon

Have you heard of the scandal that happened in one of Great Britain’s biggest supermarket chains called Tesco? The British love Tesco as it sells very cheap products and it can be found on almost every corner of a British city or town.

Only a week ago, on January 15th 2013 food inspectors discovered 30 % HORSEMEAT in a certain brand of frozen BEEFBURGERS that were mostly sold by Tesco in the UK and Ireland.

In times of social media like Facebook and Twitter the news has spread fast and customers have been very concerned about what the food they buy actually contains. Tesco said it has taken away the burgers from the shop shelves immediately, and apologized to their customers. They also promised that they would find out what exactly happened and that they would work harder than ever so this would never happen again. Customers are also able to return the beefburgers and get a refund, that is, their money back.

However, it will be hard for Tesco to get the people’s trust back. Just imagine buying lovely beefburgers that you fry at home and suddenly you find out that you have actually eaten horsemeat! In this case not only horse lovers will be upset!

By the way, why are British people so shocked about eating horsemeat? In history, horses have played great roles as working animals and as an important means of transport. When Britons of today think of horses they think of majestic animals or cute pets rather than meat.

But this is not the only reason for the protest: Customers also want to be sure that the products they buy contain what it says on the label. Hopefully, supermarkets can avoid mistakes like that in the future. Maybe there should be stricter regulations and more controls of our food? Otherwise we will soon find ourselves eating panda meat instead of pork and parrot instead of chicken. So the next time you are in a supermarket maybe check the ingredients of your food before you buy it or you could get a nasty surprise …

What do you think about the horsemeat scandal? Do you always look at the labels when you buy food? Should there be more controls by food inspectors?

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 23 August, 2013 - 10:05

Oh my god, the horsemeat scandal was so terrible. And fortunately I always look the labels before buy beef or food.

Elen@'s picture
Elen@ 16 May, 2013 - 14:16

Horsemeat is terrible because the horse is cute and it's difficult to eat it. The idea of eating horsemeat is awful, since this animal is important for people because we use it when we want to carry something or someone.

Konstantina's picture
Konstantina 10 May, 2013 - 17:04

I think its awful to find horsemeat in the supermarket because you cannot eat it.I don't buy meat from supermarket but if i did i would chek the labels.I suppose there must be more controls by food insprectors because they will find if the food is edible or inedible.

lili's picture
lili 16 March, 2013 - 20:45

Well i don't live in UK or Ireland but the same thing has happened in my country that is Albania a small country in Balkans.And to say the truth we never thought that we could find horse meet in our burgers.I don't like it actually i think is terrible becouse our health is in danger. :(:(:(

Jerry's picture
Jerry 25 February, 2013 - 16:31

The question is not whether it is beef or horse meat, but the fact that customers are deceived! Once you go to the store to buy beefburger you should get beef and not horse, parrot, cat, dog, rabbit, kangaroo or elephant instead. I don't think that it was horse meat written on the label. Supermarkets should be hold responsible for buying the right product from its suppliers. Otherwise, they cannot be trusted any more.

MALINE 24 February, 2013 - 18:39

hi i´m from méxico and I heard about that scandal in the media and I found it disgusting most people should got stomachache for say the least.

marli's picture
marli 21 February, 2013 - 15:45

foods i nspectors have to be more responsible because our heath can be in danger. i always take care about what i eat

Diana Bonilla's picture
Diana Bonilla 12 February, 2013 - 13:22

on the label should say what the product actually contains.
And I should not do that, because as I said the text horses have played an important role.

Laura Natalia's picture
Laura Natalia 12 February, 2013 - 13:21

workers have to be prevented in foods sold q and q Customers also have to be careful that all foods have q have the same label

Pula Andrea's picture
Pula Andrea 12 February, 2013 - 13:16

Okay is a situation very bad, because the horses are a animals very beatufilers and the meat of horses is a ilegal productions

karen jamaica's picture
karen jamaica 12 February, 2013 - 13:07

the state should control food and you can have many infections or contamination that may threaten the inhabitants of that country

I believe that people should be careful in the food they buy and that may be damaged, pichos, rotten and must smell really bad because they have not seen the food control in that country

Cristian Felipe's picture
Cristian Felipe 12 February, 2013 - 13:04

I find very bad because people are confident that what they are eating is safe but ACTUALLY is horse meat and who knows how long they are eating the meat of animals which have only been victims of this horrible act

liyibeth sanchez's picture
liyibeth sanchez 12 February, 2013 - 12:58

is interesting to know what happens to the meat trade ... ...parese me wrong because we misled selling horse meat !!!!! I am also against animal abuse that is way too nasty..

Hoppus's picture
Hoppus 31 January, 2013 - 12:34

Whatever! In Russia they cook patties ​​from cats' and dogs' meat! That's awful! Just imagine you are buying a patty, eat it and then you find out that it was made of cats' meat! People who eat horsemeat, guys you aren't right!

MariaMaria's picture
MariaMaria 31 January, 2013 - 12:15

Eat horse meat, a lot better than eating cats' and dogs' meat. I like horsemeat. Meat, it's all meat, as in any way.

Inspector_KOT's picture
Inspector_KOT 31 January, 2013 - 12:03

It's terrible! We can't eat horses! They're so cute :3 Ponies are awesome :3 I love them :3 Also i love ice cream and hate meat!
Ponies one love ♥