When I grow up, I want to be ...

27
RosemaryM

As children, we all dream of what we want to be when we grow up. Often, many young children will say that they want to be actors or singers, pop stars or models. Some will say that they want to become teachers, firefighters, police officers. Others want to be astronauts or scientists or explorers.

When I was younger, I wanted to be a fashion designer. I went to London Fashion Weekend, the Clothes Show Live in Birmingham and worked very hard at school to get good grades. Initially, I applied to study fashion design at university. When I got there, I hated the course. For some reason, which is still unknown to me, I no longer wanted to become part of the fashion industry. 

I now study French. I'm twenty - which many children would say is "grown up" - yet I still don't know what I want to do when I finish university. This year, I have been working as a language assistant. Over the past seven months, I've taught English to hundreds of students. I've shared my culture with them; it's been a truly rewarding experience. The best part, as cliché as it may seem, has been seeing these students progress. At the start of the year, some students wouldn't dare to say a word; now, it's as though they're different people. As wonderful as this experience has been, I'm still not convinced that I want to go into teaching. 

This summer, I have an internship with a publishing company. I'm really looking forward to trying out something new - and hopefully figuring out if it's something I would like to do more of in the future.

I think that our choices can be heavily influenced by our parents. Some parents only want their children to study subjects like engineering, maths, science or medicine. This can make young people feel pressured into studying certain subjects, which can be stressful.

At the end of the day, there's no rush to decide what you want to do with the rest of your life. Many people change careers several times during their lifetime, so there's always time to pursue a different career path!

How important is it to know what you want to be? 

gianggiang 25 August, 2016 - 13:53

I am lost in meditation, I do not know exactly what I want to be in the future, but my mom said if I studied well, I would have more choices.In addition, many parents try to impose their choices of uni and career on their children regardless of children's passion and dream, and it is not easy when we have to choose between the jobs we love and the ones which give us good income.
When we know exactly what we want to be, we'll do our best to achieve it, otherwise, we just wandering on road without destination, I think so.

Ken 18 March, 2016 - 09:59

A friend of mine's younger bro said, "I want to be a mum"...
(੭ ˃̣̣̥ ω˂̣̣̥)੭ु⁾⁾

hadia 20 March, 2016 - 10:54

Ha ha ha! One of my cousin also replied a similar answer...........!!
When I was in grade 1, at departure time in school , I was waiting for my driver to take me home. My cousin was also standing beside me. She asked me what I want to be?? I replied, ''To be Doctor" And then I asked the same question to her........To which she replied......"To be a House Wife :P" (ha ha ha) I burst into a laughter after that!.........And then she said, "What?? Isn't it a nice job to do....?" And I said, "Yeah! it's a nice occupation".......
ha ha ha!! She was a kid and really didn't know even what a housewife is!!
And now whenever she comes , I always tease her by quoting her words.....!!
She laughs at this stupid but cute saying of her too ............ XD
Kids are really cute :))

Ken 22 March, 2016 - 12:42

Ha ha hadia! That's interesting, actually I think a house work is a nice job to do and the point of my story is that the bro of my friend can't be a mom..... (biologically)!
⋆* ⁑⋆* (๑•﹏•)⋆* ⁑⋆*

hadia 23 March, 2016 - 07:02

Ha ha ha :))
Oh I thought the friend was.......................... a Girl !!! :P
Now I understand.........It's really funny :P

Privet's picture
Privet 16 March, 2016 - 16:17

I think that it is very important to choose a profession which you like! For example, I know that I am going to be an engineer in future and belive that I will succeed!

bosnian_girl5's picture
bosnian_girl5 8 August, 2015 - 19:55

It is very impotrant to know what we want to be because we already have a goal and we go ahead to achieve that goal...and that can help us figure out who we actually are..where our life goes..where we goes...

Elsa007 8 August, 2015 - 13:26

My homeroom teacher is quite a character.
She told us that she had no idea to become a teacher, because she had a dread of 'teachers'!! Wow….
Instead, she's been interested in discovering new insights into people to develop. Hmm, sounds nice….?!

iva10 6 August, 2015 - 17:00

When i grown up i want to be a english teacher,artist,writter and a song writter.But i haven't decided what am i going to be but i have time.

9maj2001's picture
9maj2001 25 June, 2015 - 18:14

in the future i want to be a pediatrician because when i was little i was allergic .I want to help little children of allergy .

Elsa007 29 April, 2015 - 15:20

That being said, how hard it is to know what I want to be…! I think it's determined by supply and demand, and some parents know well what kind of job suits their kids in the future, while on the other hand, some parents tend to place their ideal profession on us. Yeah, but,… let's put more simply. It's all about drive and determination, isn't it!?!

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 30 April, 2015 - 08:47

Hi Elsa007,

It is certainly a difficult decision to make! As you say, the number of jobs available does influence our decisions to some extent. However, if you're really determined to get a particular job then it is possible with a lot of hard work - I know someone from my old school who has just started getting into TV production! Do you have a dream job?

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 28 April, 2015 - 17:48

Hi hadia,

Having something to aim for is always a good idea, as that way you have something to work towards. It is definitely true that you need to study something you enjoy if you want to be motivated to succeed! What is your ambition in life?

Hi RosemaryM!
Thanks for asking! Well... my ambition is to become a Dermatologist! What about you?? Have you achieved something or you're still working on it?

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 30 April, 2015 - 08:44

At the moment, I'm focusing on achieving a good final grade at university. I'm still not entirely sure what career I would like to have, but having studied French for ten years I'd like a career that uses it!

Learning French for ten years! Wow , it seems really good. I am sure that you would be excellent in it! Well whatever you want to achieve and whatever your goals are for the future , I wish you a very best of luck for that!
Best wishes, hadia

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 1 May, 2015 - 08:17

Thanks hadia! I hope you succeed in becoming a dermatologist in the future :)

Hi Elsa007!
Dermatologist is a Skin specialist means a a Doctor who has done specialization in skin (its diseases , its treatments)

Elsa007 30 April, 2015 - 11:34

Wow... sounds good, but how come, Hadia?? Actually my skin is thin and sensitive! Whenever I get tired, it tells me by causing troubles..., which I take literally as a health barometer! I wish you could be my doctor in the future! :-)

hadia 1 May, 2015 - 07:04

HI Elsa007!
Oh! I wish that your this problem ever ends and you would become healthier! You can come to me but i wish you a healthy life so that you won't get any chance to get a doctor even me!

It's very important to know what we want to be. We should not have an aimless life! I have seen many people who study but are having no aim! We must have an aim and have subjects according to it. we should study the subjects we are going to adopt in the profession ahead as it would be very helpful for us and it will help us to manage in that field! RosemaryM is right! I have seen many parents who force their children to take engineering or medicine etc ! but their children want to take another subject. As a result the children will not be able to study better and they show bad results, have stress and even can't be good in the studies as well as in their professional life! So we must study with ambition!