Why I love winter

RosemaryM

Autumn is drawing to a close. I love seeing the leaves change colour and hearing fallen leaves crunch under my feet. That said, my favourite season - by far - is winter. You're probably thinking I'm slightly mad - after all, who doesn't love summer? Winter, in its own way, is wonderful. For anyone who still needs to be convinced, let me explain why.

During November, Christmas markets appear in countless towns and cities across the UK. London's Hyde Park becomes a huge winter wonderland. There are endless stalls selling traditional food and gifts. Christmas markets have something for everyone. Children can meet Father Christmas; adults can enjoy a glass of mulled wine. Often, temporary ice skating rinks are installed and this definitely provides some entertainment!

The weather gets noticeably colder: the mornings are often frosty and the nights close to freezing. I like the cold weather - for me, there's something nice about wearing a thick winter coat with a scarf and gloves. You can also wear festive jumpers. You can buy jumpers featuring designs of penguins, snowmen and Christmas trees, to name a few. Last year I bought one with a polar bear on and I can't wait to wear it again this year!

Along with countless school children across the UK, I get very excited about the thought of snow. In the Scottish Highlands, snow is quite common. Where I come from, in the North West of England, snow is a fairly rare occurrence. In the UK, because a heavy snowfall is rare, we are usually not prepared. A few years ago there was a lot of snow and many schools had the day off. Snowball fights are great fun and many families enjoy building snowmen together. Two years ago my sister and I made an igloo! I love a white Christmas; unfortunately this doesn't happen often in the UK.

Christmas time also brings other seasonal specialities: advent calendars, carol concerts and Christmas dinner. Throughout December, many churches and schools hold carol concerts: lots of traditional songs are sung, such as "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night". Christmas dinner is my favourite meal of the year. In my house, Christmas dinner includes turkey, pigs in blankets (these are sausages wrapped in bacon), roast potatoes and lots of vegetables. This is usually followed by Christmas cake and mince pies - and lots of chocolate!

What's your favourite season? 

iva10 30 August, 2015 - 11:30

My favourite season is autumn.I like it because it's windy and i like to go outside and feel the wind.

bojana13's picture
bojana13 30 August, 2015 - 11:26

My favourite season is winter and spring.Spring is time of love,and I realy like when it snows.

adorable1407's picture
adorable1407 7 December, 2014 - 19:12

I love all the seasons!
Winter is amaizing , becuase of the snow and cold days. It's just like magic!
Spiring when everything 'wakes up from a long dream' :P Plants start to grow, green is everywhere ;)
Summer - of course because of the most wonderful time of the year - HOLIDAYS! Sun, travels, long days , I can't wait. :D
Autum when leaves are falling down . They look so beautiful :)

Katniss17's picture
Katniss17 22 November, 2014 - 22:02

My favourite season is fall.

The leaves change color, cloudy skies, cardigans, sweatpants, boots, big sweater, jeans, baking, crunchy leaves, daily cups of tea, cinnamon scented candles, halloween, pumpkin patches, baths that last hours and the way everything smells.