Tuesday, 12 November, 2013 - 14:59
9
by KatieP

You may or may not have heard a stereotype that British people are very polite, sometimes too polite.

Thursday, 7 November, 2013 - 19:18
5
by GwynneG

In French Canada, the unofficial national dish is something called poutine.

Thursday, 7 November, 2013 - 17:01
17
by ReganS

British summertime has officially ended and winter has arrived! Even here in France, where I am currently working as a language assistant, winter is in the air.

Thursday, 7 November, 2013 - 13:23
10

What’s better than a present? A homemade present of course!

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 15:30
39
by TeresaC

A few weekends ago, a friend and I, both spending this year abroad in the south of France, decided to go to the chocolate festival, known as the ‘Feria du Chocolat’ in Beziers!

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 12:46
10
by KatieI

When you tell people that you’re moving to a new city, let alone a new country, there are certain phrases you become used to hearing over and over again.  I found this out first hand when I left m

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 12:13
4

When thinking of French culture, the image of the chic, demure and svelte female never fails to spring to mind.

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 12:01
9
by LucyC

Paris, Tokyo, Milan ... Le Vigan.
Do you recognise the name of the last city? I didn’t think so, and in all honesty, I can’t say I did 3 months ago.

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 11:24
16
by GraceL

So I moved to Nordenham in Lower Saxony, Germany about a month ago for my year abroad.

Wednesday, 6 November, 2013 - 11:10
12
by TeresaC

I have always loved buying postcards, keeping old train tickets and taking lots of photographs, but I’ve never been very good at keeping track of where everything has come from!

Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 - 12:09
4
by KatieP

Last week marked the start of the new month, November.

Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 - 08:43
4
by SkieH

I arrived on this beautiful Spanish island at the start of September, full of enthusiasm and eager to start work as an English Teacher.

Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 - 08:27
6
by ClaireL

Most people know the frustration of the white night. No matter how hard you try, you can't sleep. In fact, the harder you try, the more awake you feel.

Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 - 08:13
7
by BronyaD

As a languages student I value very highly the learning of languages but many people nowadays don’t agree. When I hear the phrase “But…everyone speaks English.” I want to scream!

Tuesday, 5 November, 2013 - 08:08
5
by RoisinK

The British people are a punctual race. That is a fact.

Friday, 1 November, 2013 - 12:54
12

"It smells a bit like cat food.”

Thursday, 31 October, 2013 - 15:52
10
by IainG

Living beside an active volcano means that tremors and small earthquakes are not unusual.  Everybody here knows what they feel like, and they come as no surprise to the locals.  For me, though, it

Thursday, 31 October, 2013 - 14:48
4
by AimeeW

I have always heard that Britain is unusually polite, but considered it a part of day-to-day life to apologise when somebody else has banged into me on the tube, when I was entirely blameless.

Tuesday, 29 October, 2013 - 16:03
7
by LauraT

Home is a place that one never forgets. A place which has that warming familiarity that nowhere else does and a connection that can never be broken.

Tuesday, 29 October, 2013 - 12:32
8
by KatieP

I am not the biggest Halloween fan ever but at home I normally dress up for a party and carve a pumpkin. I don't really like the idea of "Trick or Treating" so celebrate Halloween in my own way.

Subscribe to Life around the world