Saturday, 6 October, 2012 - 22:39

This summer, I’ve spent four months living in Cairo.  It’s a city unlike anywhere I have ever visited and it has its own unique character – unique, but I won’t say bad or good!

Monday, 10 September, 2012 - 09:07

The journey from Lhasa to Kathmandu feels much more like a physical challenge than a relaxing holiday.

Friday, 31 August, 2012 - 11:48
by JohnM

I know that speaking is an important part of learning a language. But speaking and communicating are two very different things.

Tuesday, 21 August, 2012 - 21:22

Have you ever heard the phrase, ‘Your school years are the best years of your life’? Well, it’s not true. At least, I hope it isn’t.

Monday, 13 August, 2012 - 16:03

Living abroad requires a delicate adjustment and balancing of cultures.  Moving from Scotland to Austria, the differences aren’t so great, perhaps, as with a relocation to Asia or Africa.  But thi

Wednesday, 18 July, 2012 - 20:05

Have you ever travelled abroad for a short holiday and said to yourself: ‘I could really see myself living here someday’?

Sunday, 8 July, 2012 - 22:15

If you’re following this blog, you’re probably at the age when you realise that your parents haven’t always told you the truth.

Friday, 6 July, 2012 - 18:42
by JohnM

When you go somewhere new, it’s hard to imagine yourself living there permanently. At first, everything is different: You’re in a new place with new people and nobody knows you. It’s terrifying.

Wednesday, 4 July, 2012 - 18:30

Ireland is divided into thirty two counties, but it has two main parts: the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Tuesday, 12 June, 2012 - 17:24

For one elderly couple this year is very special: Elizabeth and Philip Windsor, aged 86 and 91 have spent the last week celebrating the Diamond Jubilee (60 years since she became Queen).

Thursday, 7 June, 2012 - 11:44

Reading and writing in a different language is all very well and good, but how do you really master a foreign tongue?

Tuesday, 29 May, 2012 - 21:23

In the southernmost corner of Mexico, there is a beautiful, bountiful, and extraordinary place that is called Chiapas.

Monday, 21 May, 2012 - 20:03

The shabby walls are coloured in a plain white. They might express the feeling that something has been wiped out or taken away.

Friday, 18 May, 2012 - 20:45
by JohnM

The Triana Bridge in Seville is one of the most romantic parts of the city.

Friday, 11 May, 2012 - 17:27

Catalunya is famous for its cultural diversity and its eccentricity. It is what makes this part of the Iberian peninsular such an interesting place to visit.

Tuesday, 1 May, 2012 - 12:00

“So, do you have ice cream in Scotland?” I paused, my spoon half way to my mouth and just blinked. Was I hearing things? My neighbour repeated her question. No, definitely wasn’t hearing things.

Thursday, 19 April, 2012 - 03:04

Sleep, I love it, you love it, it is amazing whether it is a full nights sleep on a feather bed or a cheeky nap in a hammock, what is not to love about a rejuvenating snooze?

Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 - 22:50

This year, I have been living in Québec. Winter here is very different to in England. When I first arrived, the thing I was most scared about was the winter.

Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 - 20:23

Entering Istanbul’s truly ancient ‘Grand Bazaar’ is like wandering into Aladdin’s cave. For almost five hundred years, this is where the commerce of this big, bustling city has taken place.

Monday, 16 April, 2012 - 19:54

We've all been there: you start a new job, move to a new place or get force-fed sweets by a well meaning relative, and before you get attached to your new food baby you need to find a gym.

Subscribe to Life around the world