Music

Beyoncé: Biography

Ciara Murray

Beyoncé Giselle Knowles is an American singer, songwriter, record producer, and actress. She was born on 4th September 1981 in Houston, Texas, and is now one of the most influential and successful musicians of our time.
The Early Years
As a child, Beyoncé attended several performing arts schools and began to sing and dance in local competitions. By the late 1990s, she had become famous as the lead singer of R&B girl group Destiny's Child, which grew to be one of the world's best-selling girl groups of all time! The group split in 2005, after Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland had started successful solo projects.
Achievements
Beyoncé’s 2008 album I Am... Sasha Fierce earned her several hit singles such as "If I Were a Boy", "Single Ladies", "Halo" and "Sweet Dreams". This album won six Grammy Awards in 2010, which broke the record for the most awards won by a female artist in one night! At the Inaugural Ball on 20th January 2009, Barack Obama and his wife Michelle danced their first dance as President and First Lady of the United States accompanied by Beyoncé singing “At Last”.
In total, the star has won 16 Grammy Awards, 11 MTV Video Music Awards, 4 American Music Awards, a Billboard Millennium Award, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame! Beyoncé has sold over 75 million records worldwide, which makes her one of the best-selling music artists ever. What’s more, this year People magazine voted her ‘The World’s Most Beautiful Woman’!
If that wasn’t enough, Beyoncé’s talents don’t stop at music. She has also starred in several films, such as The Pink Panther, Austin Powers, and Dreamgirls.
Family Life
Beyoncé is the daughter of Mathew and Tina Knowles, a record manager, and a costume designer and hair stylist, respectively. Her younger sister Solange is a singer, songwriter and actress. Beyoncé’s father managed her career until March 2011, when she announced that she would be managing her projects alone.
Beyoncé first started dating American rapper Jay-Z in 2002, and collaborated with him on several music tracks. They kept their relationship extremely private until they married on 4th April 2008 in New York. On 28th August 2011, at the MTV Video Music Awards, Beyoncé announced that they were expecting their first child. Then, on 7th January 2012, she gave birth to a baby girl named Blue Ivy Carter at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York. Two days later, Jay-Z released "Glory", a song which he dedicated to their daughter. Because her cries were included at the end of the song, she was officially credited as "B.I.C", so at two days old she became the youngest person ever to appear on the charts! Perhaps she will follow in her mother’s footsteps…those are definitely some big shoes to fill!

Are you a Beyoncé fan?

Dibu's picture
Dibu 2 March, 2017 - 18:19

Well, I'm not the big fan of Beyonce because I simply don't like her songs. Honestly, I've really tried to make myself adore them, because of my friends, who are always saying something like:" Come off! Beyonce is just like God!" But eventually it all has ended up in failure.

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 19 May, 2015 - 15:42

Are there more such articles like this in British Council?! I really love reading Biographies of Celebs :)

Jo - Coordinator's picture
Jo - Coordinator 25 May, 2015 - 08:19

Hi Looneytribute002! Sorry it's taken a while to reply. We haven't got any more biographies, exactly, but we've got an article about Amy Winehouse, reading about celebrity culture, (which I think you'll find interesting!) and this article about Lady Gaga. In the magazine section there are lots of other articles on entertainment. It's good to know what our users like. We'll bear your love of biographies in mind in future!
Joanna
(LearnEnglish Teens team)

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 20 May, 2014 - 15:53

There was a time when I was a fan... But now? Meh.
There's no denying it - she made quite a career and she is talented, but it's simply not my kind of thing.

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 17 December, 2013 - 16:24

Beyonce is beautiful woman, as a first. She looks like very intelligent, strong women. Because I love her. Her songs are energetic, and they're fantastic!

saba's picture
saba 5 September, 2013 - 11:40

no i don't like beonce there better and more talented and younger and prettier singers!!don't u think so?!

CambridgeUniversity's picture
CambridgeUniversity 19 July, 2013 - 21:19

For me ,the best of song by Beyonce is ...................................

Listen,to the song here in my heart,
a melody I strart but cant complete.......................

P.S. I from Serbia and I learn English at school and I so sory if I made anywhere grammar mistakes.

Aminat's picture
Aminat 17 May, 2013 - 15:33

Beyonce is one of my favorite singers.Yes.I'm Beyonce fan.She is a very talented singer .I like some of her songs.She has a very strong, beautiful and unique voice.Also she is very good at dancing.Her dancing makes her songs even better.I agree that Beyonce is now one of the most influential and successful musicians of our time.She is really beautiful woman.

writer's picture
writer 5 May, 2013 - 15:33

Merlin I think you're right ! She is not a singer that you can be crazy about :P

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 27 April, 2013 - 21:13

Listen to the song here in my heart .....the best song ever . Beyonce you are a pop diva!

serap's picture
serap 20 April, 2013 - 12:39

I didn't listen to her yet so I don't want to tell something about her. but she looks beautiful

serap's picture
serap 19 April, 2013 - 19:44

Beyonce is a good singer but I didn't listen to her yet so I won't say anything about her

ellen's picture
ellen 11 April, 2013 - 17:56

Hi fatmira
My favorite singers are Rihanna and s,on
Have you got sister and brother? You are dark hair or blonde hair ? You are tall, or undersized?
Have you got some animal?
Please~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Robert's picture
Robert 16 April, 2013 - 14:58

Hi ellen
I have just two sister.i am tall and i have animal,i have a dog, fido.
have you got animals?///////////////////////

fatmira n's picture
fatmira n 10 April, 2013 - 18:51

hi ellen
i am15 too
my favorite singers are Beyonce Lady Gaga etc and yours?\////////////////////////////////

Little Princess's picture
Little Princess 23 March, 2013 - 16:51

I like her so much. She's my idol, my all. Her song are amaizing and I'm enjoying listening them all the time. I love all of her songs, but especially I love " If I were boy " <3 :)

Natalija 20 March, 2013 - 14:50

I like her and appreciate her a lot. She has made accomplishments good enough to be proud of herself. She has an amazing voice, plenty of fans, great songs and she dances beautifully. She is very popular in my country, Serbia. She's going to have a concert here the next month and I'm really looking forward to hearing her in live. I've already bought a ticket;).