Music

The British Music Industry

25
Dannielle Halliday

Has the music industry in the UK been harmed by the negative effects of TV talent shows like The X Factor?

The X Factor is a British TV programme which works as a singing talent competition. Members of the public face weeks of auditions before the winner is finally decided by a public vote. Since it began in 2004, the show has been the subject of increasing criticism and controversy, mostly in reference to its negative effects on the quality and reputation of the British music industry.

Many see The X Factor as a money-making machine, instead of a search for real talent. In other words, they believe that the show’s producers strive for financial gain, through high TV ratings and expensive voting calls. These people claim that most of what we see on The X Factor is staged for entertainment value and lacks originality. Instead, it forces contestants to conform to stereotypes to appeal to a mass audience. A few previous contestants have admitted that they had limited freedom over their song choices or image whilst on the show. There has also been speculation over miming and voice manipulation, suggesting that the show’s main focus is not musical talent. If we include the increase of “novelty acts”, we can see why people say the show has lost its integrity.

The X Factor also has a hold over the UK charts. This issue is brought up every year with the announcement of the UK Christmas number one single, which usually goes to the recent X Factor winner. In past years campaigns have been launched to try stopping this rising tradition by encouraging people to buy different (and often unlikely) songs. A similar debate is that the show overshadows new artists who are trying to break through based on real singing and song-writing ability. Many established artists and musicians have spoken out against the show because of this result. Similar complaints include the false impression given to young hopefuls that anyone can become a “popstar” and that it happens overnight, which does not reflect reality.

Although many continue to defend the show as a source of entertainment, it seems that this year the public have finally grown tired of the same recycled content, and TV ratings have dropped dramatically. Perhaps it has become clear that the show rarely produces important or lasting musicians, and that winners and runners-up generally have a limited shelf-life. Maybe it’s this decline in public support which has led to the rise of so-called “publicity stunts” by both contestants and judges. Many people seem to audition for the show to seek fame and fortune, rather than a platform for their musical talents. In this year’s series in particular, The X Factor has gained most of its media publicity from the contestants’ often scandalous off-screen behaviour, as well as from reported backstage arguments between members of the judging panel.

Countries from Colombia to Romania have begun to adopt the popular TV talent show, meaning that the issue now also applies to music industries across the world. Perhaps we must accept that this is the future of music…?

Do you have a similar programme (a TV pop singing competition) where you live? Do you think this type of programme is good or bad for music?

Bosnianchild's picture
Bosnianchild 16 November, 2013 - 19:36

Ou, we have just one big music show: ZMBT( Zvijezda možeš biti ti) or on English ; Star can be you).
And for Balkan there are jus X factor Balkan

Toma English's picture
Toma English 20 August, 2013 - 14:42

we've got programs like X-Factor Arabia , Arab Idol , The Voice , Star Academy , Arab's got talent ^_^

Xhoideni Dervishi's picture
Xhoideni Dervishi 3 May, 2013 - 13:33

I think this kind of programs ( talent shows ) help persons with talent to give them oportunity to show their talent....... in my country are 2 THE VOICE .... and X-FACTOR they are making a lot of noise

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 08:27

Liya, I would agree with you. I hate too when some people without talent go to the stage and sing, and it's a shame, but I think that when the real singers come, it becomes interesting to watch and those untalented stay aside;).

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 08:25

Yes, here in Serbia we have several competitions like this, but the most popular is The first voice of Serbia. I find it very good because it helps people to get famous and to show the world his talent. You can also win a great amount of money and to record a song, which is very, very important.
This year the first three winners really got famous and at the moment, they are very popular. They are going to represent Serbia at Eurovision this year and I think it's a great movement for their career.

Liya's picture
Liya 17 March, 2013 - 14:04

There is X Factor in my country too.I like this show.There are many talanted and worthy people.But sometimes i am angered that some people go out onto the stage and shame.

Jona's picture
Jona 25 February, 2013 - 20:21

X-Factor is very popular in my country and I like it but I also like The Voice of Albania,which is quite popular.

Shaman's picture
Shaman 21 September, 2012 - 18:22

Of course in my country there is X Factor too. I don't think it really influences on music in general. People who understand something in musik don't take this show seriously. Most of members of X Factor are just promoing themselves without any real music talents. So, actually it's just a kind of entertaihment, which has little in common with true music.

NinaStyles's picture
NinaStyles 24 October, 2012 - 20:49

Besides One Direction, X Factor made me become friend with One Direction fans (Directioners), and that is one of the things I am most thankful for.

ona's picture
ona 3 February, 2013 - 08:29

My mom hate 1d I stayed a lot of people say that they are gay I stayed again they have girlfriend and stayed again and again and I will stay again for many reasons cuz I m not a fan of them but I m a directioner

Lavender 22 August, 2013 - 04:26

Yes they are not gay. Just because they're funny and too intimate. They're dating like other guys. And Zayn has been engaged recently.

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 17 September, 2012 - 17:59

In my country there is X Factor,too.People like it.I think that it is good for music.There are the best singers who learn these new singers.They discover the new talents and promote them .

ona's picture
ona 3 February, 2013 - 08:18

The tv program show :-X factor is so popular in my co untry cuz Albania is an important valley music ps.one of the girls has taken a ofert from the producent of celine dion and britney spears