Magazine blogMusic

Classical music and mushrooms!

1

In my opinion, classical music is a bit like mushrooms! You don’t see the link? Let me explain. When I was younger, I didn’t like mushrooms. They had a horrible texture and no taste at all, and I used to pick them out of every dish in which my mum tried to hide them. But gradually, as I got older, my view changed. I started to enjoy mushroom-flavoured things like soups and sauces, and eventually I found I could eat mushrooms without grimacing. And now I even quite enjoy them! So my mum’s prediction that I would ‘grow into them’ was proved quite correct.

Similarly, I always thought of classical music as this boring genre that only boring grown-ups liked. Whenever my parents played it in the car, I would count down the minutes until we could change it to my preferred genre: pop. But while at university, I found that calming orchestral music was just the thing for library revision playlists – it had no lyrics to distract me, and the pieces tended to be very long: perfect for long work sessions!

Recently, my developing relationship with classical music reached a new level when I voluntarily chose to go to a ballet. Admittedly, it was the dancing that originally attracted me, but once there I thoroughly enjoyed the music too. It was The Nutcracker, and I was surprised by just how much of the music I recognised! The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy, The Russian Dance, The Waltz of the Flowers – they all sounded familiar. I didn’t know how I knew them, I just knew that I did! And I loved them. My parents would be proud.

Do you listen to classical music? Is there anything you like now that you didn't use to like when you were younger?

rosyclouds's picture
rosyclouds 6 February, 2017 - 06:33

I really like classical music and also have a favour of pop music. Once in my selective course, our foreign teacher said she didn't like listening to pop music but showed great interest in classical music. And so is my mother! So I really wonder why adults prefer the classical music better than teenagers.