Music

David Bowie

9
AmyC

The recent news of the death of David Bowie has taken the world by shock. At the age of 69, Bowie died last week from liver cancer, an illness that he managed to hide from just about everyone. Just two days before his death, he released a single, Lazarus, which begins with the lyric 'Look up, I’m here in heaven' and has been hailed as his 'parting gift' and marks the final flourish of his impressive career which spanned over half a century and gave birth to 25 albums.

His golden years were without doubt during the seventies when he released famous songs such as Heroes, Ashes to Ashes and Let's Dance. His music may be before the time of many of you reading this article but you may be more familiar with his alter-ego ‘Ziggy Stardust’ and his iconic red hair and striking face paint.

Since his death, many famous musicians have made tributes to the music legend. Madonna said he changed her life, Mick Jagger has called him an inspiration, Elton John said he helped him record his own album and Iggy Pop has said that he resurrected him.

Even the British Prime Minster, David Cameron, released a statement saying he was a musical and creative genius and unlikely stars such as Kanye West have hailed him as one of their most important inspirations.

If you aren’t familiar with his music then I urge you to watch one of the various documentaries on his colourful life or talk to your parents, for they may have something to say about his influence on their life.

Have you ever listened to David Bowie's music? What are your favourite songs and why?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 21 June, 2017 - 13:55

Oh, yeah, music is my life. I haven't listened to his songs, but maybe I should give it a try. I like Shape of You, Red, Love Story, and a lot more songs. I like songs from cartoons too, like Pokemon, Beyblade, Winx Club, Barbie, etc...

onceden's picture
onceden 3 February, 2016 - 11:04

No i haven't really heard to any of David Bowie's songs but I like listening Bring me the horizon , Lna Del rey and Nightcore...

HadiaSABAH's picture
HadiaSABAH 29 January, 2016 - 14:59

No i haven't really heard to any of David Bowie's songs but they do seem interesting.My favourite song is Skipping Stone by Clair De Lune , I also love Red by Taylor Swift and change your ticket by One Direction.
Change your ticket is an old song but the new one's from made in the am are also pretty great.!!

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 28 January, 2016 - 15:39

I have a question: How can I say my favourite thing that belongs to a pronoun, for exemple 'he'? My favourite his or what?

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 29 January, 2016 - 06:38

Hi  :)
I'm not sure if I have understood your question BigBen6464 ... pronouns are words we use in the place of a full noun and there are many different kinds of pronouns. Take a look at our personal pronouns and possessives video in our grammar and vocabulary section to learn more about them.
I hope it helps! And if you need some more help, do let us know.
Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

BigBen6464's picture
BigBen6464 28 January, 2016 - 15:34

My favourite David Bowie's song is Dancing. He sings it with Jagger. I've also watched a film Labyrinth with him in a supporting role.