Music

Tuesday, 19 January, 2016 - 10:58

David Bowie

by AmyC

The recent news of the death of David Bowie has taken the world by shock. At the age of 69, Bowie died last week from liver cancer, an illness that he managed to hide from just about everyone. Just two days before his death, he released a single, Lazarus, which begins with the lyric 'Look up, I’m here in heaven' and has been hailed as his 'parting gift' and marks the final flourish of his impressive career which spanned over half a century and gave birth to 25 albums.

His golden years were without doubt during the seventies when he released famous songs such as Heroes, Ashes to Ashes and Let's Dance. His music may be before the time of many of you reading this article but you may be more familiar with his alter-ego ‘Ziggy Stardust’ and his iconic red hair and striking face paint.

Since his death, many famous musicians have made tributes to the music legend. Madonna said he changed her life, Mick Jagger has called him an inspiration, Elton John said he helped him record his own album and Iggy Pop has said that he resurrected him.

Even the British Prime Minster, David Cameron, released a statement saying he was a musical and creative genius and unlikely stars such as Kanye West have hailed him as one of their most important inspirations.

If you aren’t familiar with his music then I urge you to watch one of the various documentaries on his colourful life or talk to your parents, for they may have something to say about his influence on their life.

Language level

Have you ever listened to David Bowie's music? What are your favourite songs and why?

Profile picture for user empty

Submitted by empty on Tue, 07/30/2019 - 06:33

i've never listened to David bowies songs .
English courses near you