Music

Is English music taking over?

58
KatieP

I'm going to make a guess that all of you reading this probably have a favourite song which has some English lyrics in it? Music and songs are a great way to listen to a language to help the learning process and personally I love English and American bands, don't get me wrong!

However, as I try to learn a new language with the help of music I have come to the conclusion that songs in English are perhaps taking over. I have recently moved to Germany and I decided that to try and help my language learning I would listen to some German songs and bands. This seems like a relatively easy task you say? Surely with the endless amount of radio stations and websites such as YouTube which allow us to listen to pretty much anything, I would be able to easily find a lot of German music?

Well, this is not the case that I have found. Most of the songs played on many German radio stations are American/English bands or artists. I have even found that many German bands and artists sing in English so that they will become more popular! Whilst this is of course great for them, my language learning isn't really getting any better! Of course I have come across a few songs and artists that do sing in German, but it is definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be! What do you think? Does it help you to listen to English music? 

Do you mainly listen to music in English or in your own language? 

Dave999's picture
Dave999 19 January, 2019 - 03:31

I live in Hong Kong and not every friend of mine does listen to English music.Many of them still like local Cantonese songs. In addition, people in Hong Kong seem to be listening the music all around the world such as K-POP or J-POP, which start to be trendy in the world in recent years. So I don't think that English music is taking over.

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 28 June, 2017 - 11:51

I listen to all kind of songs. Unless I don't understand the words. I like rock music. 'I'm in love with the shape of you..." and "Baby pull me closer..." are just a few of the English songs I love. I know just one Japanese song, that too from a manga called YoKai watch. But I love music...
Music is my heart...

DearSky's picture
DearSky 21 January, 2016 - 15:15

I can't deny that most of my favorite song are in English, but I like English songs and the songs of my own language. I agree English music is taking over, the popular radio station here in my country play more English songs than songs of our own language.

chlowey's picture
chlowey 8 October, 2014 - 12:12

i like to listen english music because it has deep meaning example like amnesia by 5sos and the reason by hoobastank:)

anna9's picture
anna9 28 September, 2014 - 11:12

I like both english and greek music but I mainly listen english music. My favourite songs are on English. The music in my country has a different style and I love it too. I aggre with these comments , music is such a good way to help with language learning and I'm really pleased because I use that way by reading the lyrics of the songs!!!!!!!

alicj's picture
alicj 21 August, 2014 - 23:54

of course i like to listen for music in english and i have my favourite band likes 5 second of summer and i alwayes listen to justin biber he is briliant

chaunguyen_cn's picture
chaunguyen_cn 13 August, 2014 - 16:37

oh! I like English music and VietNam music. (my language). yeah..the music is very interesting.

cklj's picture
cklj 8 May, 2014 - 15:10

I mainly listen to American and English music. I also listen Macedonian music of course and Serbian or Croatian sometimes. The American and British music is definitely taking over. But that's okay because there are many talented artists, singers and bands. In my country some of the singers don't make music because of this. I remember that a couple of months ago one singer on TV said that she has a finished album, but she won't publish it until the right time comes. This made me wonder what is going on with our music this days and why are people in my country so scared. I realized that they want to make good music and to be popular. They think that if their songs aren't popular they won't be considered as a successful musicians.

Khaleesi's picture
Khaleesi 26 April, 2014 - 14:56

Most of the bands that i listen to have english lyrics but are from Norway, Finland, The Netherlands, Denmark etc. I know maybe one or two italian songs, and currently I'm also starting to get into german. I prefer foreign music, because it's more interesting than music from my country, or from the region. (Even though 60% of my music contains songs with english lyrics- 30% are instrumentals and 10% are in other foreign languages.)

SweetRobin3's picture
SweetRobin3 5 April, 2014 - 06:55

i like over 100 songs in English and i like to listen music only in English because it's help me to learn English language
my favorite Bands are One Direction, Union J and Bastille
favorite singer is Owl City

Colhnaht's picture
Colhnaht 13 February, 2014 - 14:20

English music is probably the most popular music in the world right now I think because English is a should-know language so music really improves it!

MacedonianGirl's picture
MacedonianGirl 12 February, 2014 - 16:03

I always listen songs on English language 'cause I think they're having really good lyrics,and they're better than songs on my native language :)

fcbarcelona's picture
fcbarcelona 3 December, 2013 - 13:19

I like listening music in English, it helps me to learn it better, but I think it's realy annoying when artists who aren't from Enlish-speaking countries sing in English

MALINE 30 November, 2013 - 18:22

I agree with you KatieP that some artists feel they have to sing in English in order to like more I think an example of this is Shakira,I used to like her songs but not anymore shé is more worried to sell records than making good songs.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 10 December, 2013 - 13:09

I think its always good for artists to be successful but I feel it's a shame if they have to change their ways completely. Of course learning a new language is always good and I love the English language but I would love to see and hear music from other parts of the world on the radio or in the charts!

ellen's picture
ellen 30 November, 2013 - 17:58

Hello Everyone.
I prefer English or American music.Along with learning the language and listen to music.
Music is my life. I think there is no life without music.
I l mainly isten pop music.
America singers my favorite singers.
Yes, of course I listen my country music.
I think that modern young people listen to music mostly pop or rock.
Most of them are from America, for example, Selena Gomez, Katy Perry, Demi Lovato. Taylor Swift, Rihanna and s.on/
I am also ~Selenator~.

Pero7's picture
Pero7 30 November, 2013 - 13:10

I'll be honest: I listen to English music WAY more than in my own Language. My language songs just seem... boring in a way. Some are great, but most just get me to yawn.

Hanna's picture
Hanna 20 November, 2013 - 18:00

Unfortunately our singers usually sing in Russian and don't use Ukrainian. But actually I loke one ukrainian rock-band. It's Okean Elzy. Some of my English and American friends know their songs. I have many English songs on my phone and when I listen to them I try to understand their sense. Also It helps to learn new words and expressions. Especialy I like British music. My favourit singers and bands are Sting, Adele, The Beatles, Placebo and other.

emmanos's picture
emmanos 10 November, 2013 - 21:23

sometimes english songs help me alot to learn new vocabs and at the same time keep the environment more relaxing for learning not than from books we have already known that , something interesting is more to be attracted by sound and visual more than books .

KatieP's picture
KatieP 11 November, 2013 - 14:53

Hi Emmanos,

I think you're right, music makes learning new vocabulary and words more interesting using sounds and as it is also relaxing rather than strenuous I feel that you also remember things quicker!

pointlesscarol's picture
pointlesscarol 10 November, 2013 - 13:10

I always listen to music in English ,and reading lyrics helps me to learn and memorize new words . I hate my country music because it isn't as good as English music :) . I love artists like Ellie Goulding ,Lorde,Emeli Sande and many many others :)

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 3 November, 2013 - 14:17

I listen to english songs :) I just love them, and reading lyrics help me to learn new words. I don't like my country songs at all... If i have to pick they are always english ones <3
My favourite bands are My Chemical Romance and Linkin Park, but im eager to listen to other songs or types in radio :D

Natalija 28 October, 2013 - 21:34

I prefer Serbian music. But I must say that English and American music is really taking over, especially American, and that's why some good artists from other countries can't express themselves. I've noticed that a person like Miley Cyrus, who's not a bad singer, but a terrible role model, has 300 million views on youtube, while some good singers from other countries, really good ones, have just 10000. Isn't that a shame?
I like Serbian music most, but I listen to Croatian, Macedonian, Turkish, Spanish, French, American, English music... I don't care where does the music come from as long as it's good. But I do think that some singers're really taking over, and for no reason.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 29 October, 2013 - 09:56

I can really agree with this and think it is always a shame when people become famous and therefore promote their music based on other actions they have taken, such as Miley Cyrus. I have heard a lot of bands which come from other countries but resort to singing and making English lyrics so that they can become more popular. It's great for them and great for English music that we can get more great bands, but a real shame that they feel they have to learn and use another language, just to be heard and liked!

Jonathan - Coor... 29 October, 2013 - 02:24

Hi Natalija! I thought your comment was really interesting. Of course I like British and American music too, but it would be a real pity if their success stops artists from other countries from becoming popular, like you said. I remember I really used to like listening to music in different languages that I was learning because it seemed like the extra effort it took to understand the lyrics made it more enjoyable for me to listen to, and I can still remember those lyrics I tried so hard to understand all those years ago. So I hope British and American music doesn't completely take over.

Lavender 27 October, 2013 - 09:35

ALL the songs in my playlist are in English. Most of them are from America, the rest sung by singers from other countries such as Adele, Cheryl, Leona Lewis, One Direction, JB....