Music

Is English music taking over?

58
KatieP

I'm going to make a guess that all of you reading this probably have a favourite song which has some English lyrics in it? Music and songs are a great way to listen to a language to help the learning process and personally I love English and American bands, don't get me wrong!

However, as I try to learn a new language with the help of music I have come to the conclusion that songs in English are perhaps taking over. I have recently moved to Germany and I decided that to try and help my language learning I would listen to some German songs and bands. This seems like a relatively easy task you say? Surely with the endless amount of radio stations and websites such as YouTube which allow us to listen to pretty much anything, I would be able to easily find a lot of German music?

Well, this is not the case that I have found. Most of the songs played on many German radio stations are American/English bands or artists. I have even found that many German bands and artists sing in English so that they will become more popular! Whilst this is of course great for them, my language learning isn't really getting any better! Of course I have come across a few songs and artists that do sing in German, but it is definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be! What do you think? Does it help you to listen to English music? 

Do you mainly listen to music in English or in your own language? 

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 26 October, 2013 - 19:55

mostly i listen to music english cause i love english
i also listen to music italian cause is my language

monikatoto's picture
monikatoto 24 October, 2013 - 19:09

I don't listen to music in my own language because I don't like it. All songs is in English and I love it because I improve my English :)

260344's picture
260344 7 December, 2013 - 11:16

I listen english music, but i don`t listen music on my own language. English music is much better!

vivace's picture
vivace 25 October, 2013 - 21:21

I am agree with you monikatoto.I usully don't like listening to music in my own language too..but sometimes it's possible.

KatieP's picture
KatieP 25 October, 2013 - 12:57

I completely agree with both these comments. Music is such a good way to help with language learning and I'm really pleased you like English music so much! I just wish I could say the same for my own language learning :)

Harabeli Supersweet 24 October, 2013 - 18:53

I always listen to music in English. I love singers like Taylor Swift, All about Maggie, Demi Lovato, Bruno Mars etc. Song lyrics help me a lot to learn some new words and it's easier to memorise them when they rhyme.

260344's picture
260344 27 December, 2013 - 13:43

I don"t listen music on my own language. My favourite songs are on English. I like Beyonce, Bruno Mars, The One direction, Shakira, Britey Spears.