Music

Monday, 21 October, 2013 - 20:37

Is English music taking over?

by KatieP

I'm going to make a guess that all of you reading this probably have a favourite song which has some English lyrics in it? Music and songs are a great way to listen to a language to help the learning process and personally I love English and American bands, don't get me wrong!

However, as I try to learn a new language with the help of music I have come to the conclusion that songs in English are perhaps taking over. I have recently moved to Germany and I decided that to try and help my language learning I would listen to some German songs and bands. This seems like a relatively easy task you say? Surely with the endless amount of radio stations and websites such as YouTube which allow us to listen to pretty much anything, I would be able to easily find a lot of German music?

Well, this is not the case that I have found. Most of the songs played on many German radio stations are American/English bands or artists. I have even found that many German bands and artists sing in English so that they will become more popular! Whilst this is of course great for them, my language learning isn't really getting any better! Of course I have come across a few songs and artists that do sing in German, but it is definitely a lot harder than I thought it would be! What do you think? Does it help you to listen to English music? 

Language level

Do you mainly listen to music in English or in your own language? 

Submitted by _wisehumanbeing_ on Sun, 03/12/2023 - 16:35

I rarely listen to music in my native language. I just prefer doing it in English. It just sounds better. I don't mind it. I love English. Moreover, I can sing at loud and my family members will not understand me which is really comfortable for myself.

Submitted by Dave999 on Sat, 01/19/2019 - 03:31

I live in Hong Kong and not every friend of mine does listen to English music.Many of them still like local Cantonese songs. In addition, people in Hong Kong seem to be listening the music all around the world such as K-POP or J-POP, which start to be trendy in the world in recent years. So I don't think that English music is taking over.
English courses near you