Music

Is English the official language of music?

15
LewisG

Each May since 1956 people from across Europe and around the world have gathered around their televisions with friends and family for an extended evening of international entertainment: The Eurovision Song Contest. For one night every year our continent, rich with languages and cultures, is united by music. With up to 27 finalists and 200 million viewers, the competition may well be a fun event but perhaps it’s not the shared celebration of European language and cultural diversity that it could be. In the first ten years of Eurovision, the UK and Ireland were the only two countries to sing in English. Now English is what we expect. Is it that English is becoming, or has become the official language of music?

From high streets in Hungary to supermarkets in Sweden, from bus stops in Bulgaria to parks in Poland, people listen to English-language music everywhere. And people don’t just listen, they sing it too! From sporting events in Spain to nightclubs in Norway, from concerts in Croatia to fitness classes in France, people sing along to popular songs in their everyday lives, in English. But why?

For one evening each year Eurovision is the dinner party of Europe. A dinner party to which each guest brings something unique. Their clothing, customs and cuisine represent their culture and their language represents the unique character of a nation. Although there are 50 nations with 83 languages – official, regional, and minority – for Eurovision, English dominates completely. Does Eurovision really showcase Europe?

English is an international language spoken by over 1 billion people worldwide. It is no surprise therefore that so many musicians make music in English. Of course, music makes money and more listeners make more money. Then again, perhaps English simply sounds better. According to Ragnar Thorhallsson, singer and guitarist with the Icelandic indie band ‘Of Monsters and Men’, his language is harsh. He thinks that English is simpler and is easier to make rhymes. Could this be true?

Let’s consider that although English-language music is everywhere, music is not every-thing. As long as we continue to learn, to speak, to appreciate and to love, diversity shall prosper. After all, what fun is a dinner party if the guests can’t communicate or express themselves in the way they choose?

Do you prefer to listen to music in English or your own language?

linolo09's picture
linolo09 7 October, 2016 - 07:57

I would say I prefer songs in English but in the end, it's all about the rhythm for me. I wouldn't and I don't mind listening to songs in different languages even if I don't understand them.

LewisG's picture
LewisG 30 November, 2015 - 15:52

I agree, the rhythm is very important but I think that it's important to understand the meaning of the song too. Otherwise maybe there are attitudes, opinions, or bad words that you might share or repeat without knowing!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 6 November, 2015 - 11:35

English, English. English, they are way better than the local ones.Mmm, one direction, demi lovato, Ariana grande, the list is limitless.

Lavender 26 October, 2015 - 01:40

I think one of the reasons why English languague songs become pupular is that the America and their music industry have strong influence.

Elsa007 27 October, 2015 - 04:33

Another reason is that English language songs (rock music) really appeal to the people nowadays. Their rythem and lylics are unique and simple! ...right??

airplanewishes's picture
airplanewishes 21 October, 2015 - 15:08

I listen to everything, honestly. As long as the songs are nice and catchy, then why not? I've been listening to KPOP for years--though I don't speak Korean at all.

meltem's picture
meltem 21 October, 2015 - 06:45

Different languages reflect different cultures and life styles. Why do we prefer only one strereotype by using only one language to express our emotions, feelings and inspirations... Various sounds bring prosperity to the meaning.

LewisG's picture
LewisG 30 November, 2015 - 15:58

It's fantastic to hear music in different languages as it reminds us of the diversity of the world we live in. Listening to music from different countries, in different languages also exposes us to different sounds, styles and instruments that we perhaps don't normally hear!

Jona's picture
Jona 17 October, 2015 - 21:45

I like t o listen to different language songs. As long as I like the melody and can understand the lyrics, it doesn't matter the language.

iva10 17 October, 2015 - 18:22

English songs are way better than in my language.English songs are more intresting and fun.I like to listen Big time rush and We the kings:say you like me.One direction's song Drown me down is also good.

bojana13's picture
bojana13 16 October, 2015 - 18:37

I prefer to listen to English songs,they are much better then my country language.I usually listen to One Direction and Cash Cash.