Music

Music Festivals Around the World

36
Jane Bristow

Visiting a festival abroad can be a great reason to travel and a way to experience different cultures. These days there is such a wide range of choice that it’s possible to spend the whole of the summer watching live music in exciting locations. It can often be cheaper to go to a different country and, of course, it’s a chance to meet people from across the world.

Melt! Festival, Ferropolis, Germany
This unique festival takes place on the site of an open air museum for industrial machinery. It’s also surrounded by a lake which can be used for swimming when it’s hot. This year’s line-up has over 120 different bands, including Bloc Party, Lana Del Rey and Rufus Wainwritght. Around 90% of festival goers are German providing a perfect opportunity to practise speaking the language.

Exit Festival, Serbia
Located on the banks of the Danube in an old fortress, the festival began as a protest against the government. These days it’s less political but still has a strong social conscience. This year’s festival will host The Gossip, Duran Duran and Guns n’ Roses amongst many. There are stages devoted to electronic, world, dance, and hard-rock music providing something for everyone to enjoy.

Belladrum Tartan Heart Festival, Scotland
Set on a remote Scottish estate near Inverness, this year Belladrum will welcome artists such as Travis, Frightened Rabbit and the Wombats. There’s a decidedly Celtic flavour to the festival with lots of smaller folk stages. The highlight of the weekend is the massive Ceilidh (traditional Scottish dance and party) which is always a lively event. It doesn’t even matter if you’re a beginner because the band teaches you each dance, and of course is a great way to meet people.

Open’er Festival, Poland
Held in an airfield near the northern city of Gdansk, each year Open’er has a seriously good selection of bands. This year is no exception, with Bjork, Bon Iver, Gogol Bordello, Mumford & Sons, and The XX set to play. Not only are there amazing artists, but both Poland and the festival itself still provide very excellent value for money.

Lake of Stars Festival, Malawi
If you’re feeling adventurous, try this festival on the shores of Lake Malawi. This year the festival isn’t running because the organisation is focusing on development projects in the local region, so there’s a year to save up for the experience of a lifetime. Each festival has featured some of the best artists from Africa and Europe. Previous bands have included Foals, Beverly Knight, The Very Best and The Black Missionaries. Best of all is its size – around 4,000 people attend each year keeping it friendly and informal.

Have you ever been to a music festival? Which one would you like to go to?

Chan's picture
Chan 29 June, 2014 - 12:43

Yes, I've been to a fantastic music festival in Galle, Sri Lanka. It was very exiting and entertaining! There were puppet shows too!

SweetRobin3's picture
SweetRobin3 5 April, 2014 - 15:00

yes i want to be in a music festivals
i want to be in a jazz music festival and pop music festival :)

lili's picture
lili 19 May, 2013 - 11:14

Hey there Irini Real Madrid!
How are you?
where are you from and how old are you???
PLEASE..............^_^

sailor moon's picture
sailor moon 14 May, 2013 - 17:48

i have gone to a festival once. it was a miracle
this month or the next month in italy will come " one direction"
yyyeeeaaahhh! i will see them! Oh my God!

Natalija 3 April, 2013 - 15:50

I've been to Exit festival, it's the most famous festival in Serbia, my home country, and foreign bands come to Exit. I've also been to Jazz festival, and Vieilles Charrues Festival in France, and I'd like to Melt! Festival.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 8 March, 2013 - 13:21

I wish i can go to enrique iglesias concerts...
His music and his style are amazing

junesti's picture
junesti 24 February, 2013 - 20:03

I wish I had gone to Enrique Iglesias concert...
I like him because he is beautiful and amazing... <3

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 8 March, 2013 - 13:20

junesti
I am a crazy fan of Enrique Iglesias too
I love him i wish we can go together in one of his concerts

ona's picture
ona 17 February, 2013 - 06:26

hi evryone i ve been to 3 music festivals in my country live but isn t the same feeling when i see one direction from tv ps i wish all are dreams come tru

lili's picture
lili 1 January, 2013 - 15:58

Hello! I'm Lili and i have never been to a music festival.But if i would go i would love to be in an music festival like in the song Dj Assad feat. Mohombi & Craig David & Greg Parys "Addicted" (Official Video)
festival full of people and DJ's and music and everything.... :) <3

Anahí's picture
Anahí 27 November, 2012 - 20:30

I went once, the international festival of culture which are the most famous artists of Bolivia such as: the kharkas, Los Masis, Bonanza, Wascar Aparicio and other artists and bands from other countries, such as Chile, Peru, this festival has a cost of 20 to 30 bolivianos. I like the kharkas are good composers of national music, rhythm is contagious. I would like to know the culture of other countries such as Spain, Italy, London and elsewhere. The festivals abroad should be famous for its artists, dance and would like to know more about their culture, I would also like to meet new people from around the world to share my culture and it also can teach me about their culture. These festivals loved me and would like to know soon because I think it is very important for every country and I like how it performed.

Anahí's picture
Anahí 27 November, 2012 - 18:59

noelia reynolds's picture
noelia reynolds 13 November, 2012 - 00:25

no I haven´t but I would like to go to viña del mar because to that festival go famous people and I think that is great

noelia reynolds's picture
noelia reynolds 13 November, 2012 - 00:17

I think that it is a good idea because is a way to meet different culturies , meet other people, is a way to distract, and finally if you go to another place where they speak another language you can practice the language wich they speak

adita's picture
adita 12 November, 2012 - 21:26

unfortunately never had the opportunity to go to a music festival and I would love to go, it's one of my dreams and I hope that there is because I love to learn about their customs, bands, these beautiful cities, would be a nice experience, one of best.
And the first festival I'd go are to SCOTLAND and GERMANY.I will be happy when I go to this festivals!!!

Al3cItA VIdA TapIA's picture
Al3cItA VIdA TapIA 12 November, 2012 - 19:57

ye3ssss¡¡¡¡...I went to many music festivals especially in the village of my mother ... ♥♥♥I saw many people who play folk instruments perfectly, but I want to go to another city to know that culture and its instruments have music ... wanted to go to Rio de Janeiro to see festivals and dances of their country.

jhael torres's picture
jhael torres 11 November, 2012 - 16:58

i think that is an interesting and exiting experience because you can go to see all your favourite bands, meet new people and meet the place where is going to be.

micaela fonseca's picture
micaela fonseca 8 November, 2012 - 21:46

not really, just to festivals held every year at my school, I would like perticipar of these festivals to learn more about their traditions and cultures, and I actually like to attend the festivals held in Viña del Mar.

crizti4n's picture
crizti4n 8 November, 2012 - 16:13

I wish go at a festival around the world , ithing that is very funny travel to the world I want travel at rome . if I will go at music festival will be of pop , electronic or alternative rock music festival I am taking a lot of picture for show at my friend and my family because I will go alone or with best friend ta visit otrer turist place and meet other people

irina sinai's picture
irina sinai 5 November, 2012 - 23:17

i want to visit other countries and know his costumes and I went once to a music festival but if i had another opportunity I would like to see outside with my favorite bands and my favorite music Especially of rock pop for fun with my friends and meet new friends in addition to being able to build good memories

cukikiu's picture
cukikiu 5 November, 2012 - 01:31

Good thing i have never been in a festival of music, but it would have the opportunity to attend one i would like to go to a festival in the involving my favorite band that is Linkin Park's music is just fabulous makes you want to exploit, shout would be very happy by attending this presumed to all my friends.i hope to be able to attend some day to these festivals jeje XD

nathalia's picture
nathalia 5 November, 2012 - 01:08

I think it's a way to have fun and meet other countries.
other festival we would happily go to Vina del Mar is the chili because it's a very big musical event and get a lot of successful singers like Enrique Iglesias, Chayanne, Camila, dirty tricks, etc ...... but despite all this I think is a good opportunity to know this wonderful country.

dedod's picture
dedod 27 September, 2012 - 20:05

Personally i think that such music festivals is a great chance to find new friends, listen great music and just have fun. As for me, i would like to go to some rock festival and there will be singing Scorpions,Metallica, Offspring and so on. But this is just dream. Really i wont to visit Ukrainian music festival called "Banderschdadt" in Lviv/

BlackMouse's picture
BlackMouse 25 September, 2012 - 16:47

Of course all these festivals are great events.You have a real chance to listen to the variety of music!And who doesn't love dancing to the latest chart toppers?=)As for me, i'd like to go to Scotland.I was twice there and enjoyed nearly everything:castles, cuisine, costumes, people, and... ghosts=).As for Ukraine, next year i'd like to take part in Koktebel Jazz Festival.My parents are fans of it.

Jane Bristow's picture
Jane Bristow 23 October, 2012 - 23:51

Hi BlackMouse, that's great to hear from you. Scotland has a really exciting music scene to suit all tastes and there's loads of different festivals to choose from. If you're interested here's a link http://www.scottishmusicfestivals.co.uk/ to give you a bit more information. Good luck with Koktebel Jazz festival!