Magazine blogMusic

Music to my ears

18

Ever since I was a young girl my favourite style of music has been jazz and blues. The first ever CD that I bought was Chuck Berry’s Greatest Hits when I was 11 years old. I absolutely loved it and I would sing along and dance around my bedroom to the music. Even now, whenever I hear one of Chuck Berry’s songs I can’t help but tap my feet and hum along to the music.

As I got older I started to listen to other musicians from this genre and others. I would listen to Elvis Presley almost every day after school. I just loved music that made me want to dance. I started to love soul music too after a friend bought me a Motown Classics CD for my 15th birthday. My absolute favourite passtime was listening to Aretha Franklin or Katrina and the Waves. I looked up to a lot of these amazing artists and performers and still do to this day. As quite a shy person, hearing these people perform with such confidence and such talent was inspirational to me.

Blues music is rooted in African-American history and originated from the 19th century when African slaves and ex-slaves would sing about their experiences. The blues music we know and love today evolved from African chants, work songs, drum music and African spirituals. The birthplace of the blues is said to be the Mississippi Delta near New Orleans in the USA. Although jazz (which started becoming popular in the 1930s and 40s) and blues are different genres of music they have always influenced each other. I think I enjoy music so much because it is a form of escapism from reality and I find that if I have had a hard day or I’m feeling a little low, listening to something upbeat can turn my mood around and cheer me up. In fact, scientists at the University of Missouri have shownthat people can boost their moods by listening to upbeat tunes! Moreover, a study made by Herriot-Watt University here in Scotland even links certain personality traits with musical preference! Apparently those who enjoy jazz and blues music are more likely to be creative, outgoing and have high self-esteem. Check out this blog post to find out more about this: https://blog.bufferapp.com/music-and-the-brain

What is your favourite type of music and why?

michel9's picture
michel9 22 November, 2016 - 17:41

Listening to music is my daily habit. I love to listen all latest music. Recently I have come across a latest music app known as Music Paradise Pro which provide anu kind of music for free. Thanks.

najdabucan's picture
najdabucan 24 October, 2016 - 14:14

I listen to all kinds of music, but my favourite is pop. I like rap too, but pop music is the first on the list. I like it because it cheers me up and I enjoy it. Pop music is great!

eliteachingenglish's picture
eliteachingenglish 16 October, 2016 - 20:10

Hi! I really like all kinds of music, from Opera, to rap; but my favourite music is rock and pop. I have liked rock since I was little.
One of my favourite groups is Queen, and my favourite song is Bohemian Rhapsody.
I think rock is amazing because it makes you feel strong and energetic.
I like pop because my parents played British pop at home. I remember listening to The Beatles, and I really liked them. My favourite song is Help!. But The Beatles have other great songs such as Michel.
I also like modern pop and rock, such as Jason Derulo, the weekend...
and you?
bigues&riells 3rd eso

Emmobe's picture
Emmobe 14 October, 2016 - 08:31

I like to listen to almost everything. But I mostly like pop and calm more just like a piano and a person songs. Just because music means so much to me. It´s how I express my feelings when I don´t want to talk. Also when I am happy, focused, mad or just being with friends.

AnonymousGr's picture
AnonymousGr 2 October, 2016 - 14:27

My favorite type of music is rock and dupstep!
I prefer to listen dupstep or rock more than classic or pop or rap bcs I prefer to listen nice and strong music

farzam's picture
farzam 18 September, 2016 - 21:43

Ever since i listened music of my hometown and Indiana's music, since i displaced i listen both of them western music and my hometown music specially with it's lyric .

gianggiang 25 August, 2016 - 13:02

I like Baroque music or kind of music written by Yiruma as they gives me chances to wander in my imagination, and I'm also curious to know musicians' thoughts when they composed songs without lyrics.
(*⌒▽⌒*)θ~♪

Svetlana273645's picture
Svetlana273645 23 August, 2016 - 12:01

I am keen on pop music and I never stop finding the latest songs. In my playlist favourites there are about 121 songs. I am really into the singer Zara Larson and her songs Lush life and This is one for you.

LouiseH's picture
LouiseH 16 August, 2016 - 18:45

Hi 4444,

I agree that listening to music in a the language you are studying can really help to improve your language skills.  My favourite Scotish singer is a girl called Amy Macdonald.  Maybe you might be interested in listening to a couple of her songs?

Louise 

4444's picture
4444 15 August, 2016 - 15:44

personally;i like pop music although i listen to rock sometimes or at rap but i prefer pop. because it changes my mood from bad to good moreover it effects on me and evolve my english language

cklj's picture
cklj 9 August, 2016 - 10:09

I prefer listening to pop, rock and indie rock music. I also like classical music which I listen to while I am studying as it boosts my focus. I think that I can listen to different genres of music based of my mood, the people around me and the atmosphere that surrounds me.