Music

OK, I confess: I like reggaeton music

13
IainG

Many months in Latin America have taught me that this confession may bring shame upon my family. Nevertheless, it has been too long I can no longer hold it in: I like reggaeton music.

Reggaeton is not a genre of music that is particularly well known, outside of the Americas. Unless you happen to have some connection to Latin American culture, most people are unlikely to have heard of this music, most often described as a fusion of other styles including Jamaican dancehall, Latin American salsa, electronica and hip-hop music.

The lyrics are a mixture of singing and rap, usually in Spanish though sometimes also in Portuguese, and often with a little English. While having certainly originated in Latin America, unlike almost all other styles of music, nobody really knows where the genre was born. Some have suggested that its origins are in Panamá but, with no clear idea of its origins, people describe reggaeton as the first 'transnational' music in existence. Regardless of its origins, a large number of reggaeton artists are from Puerto Rico, including one of the most famous, Daddy Yankee.

Reggaeton must be a very popular style of music. The most successful artists such as Don Omar and Tito El Bambino are exceptionally rich, famous and, by all accounts, very successful. In some cases artists have also become well known internationally after releasing singles with English-speaking artists.

In spite of this success, here in Colombia I really do find it very difficult to find any reggaeton fans. Every time I mention to friends and colleagues that I like to listen to Wisin and Yandel, or a bit of J Balvin, their jaws drop to the ground as they start to question whether or not they wish to continue their friendship with me. 

OK, so perhaps I am exaggerating a little but it is hard to meet any fellow reggaeton fans. I hear the music everywhere I go: in clubs, in taxis, on buses and in plenty of shops. But ask anyone if they like it, and they reply with a very flat 'no', and I cannot seem to find any real reason for this.

Reggaeton is everywhere in Colombia and it must, therefore, be very popular. Its fans, however, are nowhere to be seen. They must logically exist: are they just too afraid to admit that they like it?

Do you like reggaeton music? What other styles of music do you like?

ksenchenk's picture
ksenchenk 13 November, 2014 - 04:16

I sure, we shouldn't refuse from hobbies for others. Always there is a man who doesn't like your person anyway))

maugeortega's picture
maugeortega 17 October, 2014 - 21:57

Hello I’m from Uruguay and I don’t have reggaeton music on my iPod but I enjoy it at very specific times, for example, when you go clubbing.. think it is the type of music that is only for dancing, not to listen to regularly, at home, etc…

MALINE 21 August, 2014 - 17:08

Hi Iain, you are right most people are afraid to confess that they like reggaeton music becuase those who dare to do it always gets a bad look,like saying "seriously" ?. I don´t know why people deny it, maybe because some people related that kind of music to being tacky.

Rio007's picture
Rio007 30 July, 2014 - 09:19

I think that everyone of us should not be afraid or ashamed to show who we are ... People will judge other people forever and they will never stop, but it doesn't mean that we on the other hand should stop being who we are! Speak out....If you like reggaeton just admit it, if you like punk admit it ...I mostly like rock music and i don't really care what people say!

Elenagl's picture
Elenagl 22 June, 2014 - 15:21

Reggaeton is really popular in Spain too. Here teenagers dance in lots of discos. It has got lots of fans!

Aytekin1D's picture
Aytekin1D 24 May, 2014 - 07:35

I really,really don't like reggaeton music.I like pop,R&B,rock,hip-hop and other music types.When I'm tired,nervous than I listen this type of music.This songs really make me relax

egp1eamp's picture
egp1eamp 13 May, 2014 - 11:59

I love listen to music.My favorite musician is ''MURAT BOZ''and''HELENA BROKEN.

Niluh 9 April, 2014 - 15:56

I don't know anything about reggaeton music, though this is the first time i heard of, it isn't popular in my country.