Music

Playing a musical instrument

81
EleanorC

Playing a musical instrument is a great hobby to have. I started playing the piano when I was five years old and still really enjoy it now: it’s a perfect way to relax and cheers me up when I’m feeling down. When I lived at home with my parents, we had a lovely reddish brown piano in the house and I had piano lessons every week. However, when I went to university, I had to leave my family, my home and my piano behind.

I missed playing the piano so much that I spent all the money I got for my eighteenth birthday on a brand new electric piano. It was quite difficult getting it from the music shop to my house: I had to take a friend with me to get it into a taxi and then carry it to the door. I am very glad I bought it though. I was able to play whenever I wanted, using headphones so that I wouldn’t disturb my flatmates. When I was studying or writing an essay, I used to take a break to play something energetically. It really helped ease my frustration! When I was feeling a bit homesick, playing music that I learned on my old piano made me feel better.

Now I am on my year abroad and unfortunately I don’t have a piano any more. I still listen to a lot of classical music by my favourite composers like Beethoven and Chopin. I find that, especially when I’m listening to a tune that I can play, I feel nostalgic for the piano keyboard. You can really get attached to a musical instrument because playing music involves lots of emotion. I wish that pianos were as portable as guitars and trumpets because I really miss spending time on my hobby. Never mind, there are other creative activities that I can do to relax, like drawing or writing stories. When I go home for Christmas, I will drive my family mad because I will play the piano all the time. It probably won’t sound very nice because I haven’t had any practice!

Do you play any musical instruments? What are your hobbies?

jadestump's picture
-16x
jadestump 4 December, 2017 - 11:45

i play the guitar and i really enjoy doing it. i can do a lot of famous solos like bohemian rhapsody's solo, blood brothers, carry on, we will rock you, killer queen and yeah i'm so grateful i've been playing the guitar. i play the drums, piano and bass guitar too. i'm a good musician i guess.

Jonathan - Coor... 5 December, 2017 - 05:02

Hi jadestump.Thanks for your comments. It sounds like you're really musically talented! :) How did you learn to play so many instruments? Do you have any tips to share for anyone who would also like to learn?

drummernes's picture
-6x
drummernes 24 September, 2017 - 21:07

I can really understand you. I started playing drums yesterday and I'm a beginner. But I call myself as ''drummer'' hahaha! Whatever, even seeing that made me happy. I couldn't really hide my smile. I wanted to start practices as fast as I could do. :)

lanaisgod's picture
lanaisgod 14 March, 2016 - 19:36

ı used to playing piano when ı was at primary school but now ı play cello an ı love ıt so much :)

Persianman's picture
Persianman 28 November, 2015 - 13:31

yes i do
i can play guitar but don`like that because i love Piano and unfortunately i cant play ... :(
my hobbies is listen to music, go to swimming pool and take a record from that and watching a TV program named GRAND DESIGNS

iva10 28 September, 2015 - 20:23

No.I don't play any musical instruments.But i would like to play the violin ,guitar and the piano.My hobbies are :painting and drawing paintings,reading books(novels),listening to music,watching sport(usually tennis and basketball)and making something new of something old and that's it.I think.

Saionji's picture
Saionji 14 June, 2015 - 11:55

I do not have a piano in my house because dad thinks it's too loud ,but I kept asking him for one so he said he'll buy me one in the summer.
Although I haven't got a "real piano" but I download piano apps in my phone and Ipad but that is annoying so I asked the principal to let me play on the piano that is used to play the National Anthem at the morning and she let me"I didn't thought that she'll do" .
I learned the piano completely by myself with the help of the internet .
When I was six years old I learned to play twinkle twinkle and happy birthday "and other kid's song but I do not remember them anymore" . last year when I was at 12 I learned to play fur elise by Bethoven it was the first song I learned it after kid's songs, and still it's my favorite . In this year I tried to play a song when hearing it without seeing the note.First it was too hard but then I succeed . That really improve my motivation to play music and I learned too much songs by using my ear!
I really think that the Piano is THE BEST MUSICAL INSTRUMENT EVER!

NATALYY's picture
NATALYY 9 June, 2015 - 18:34

I don't play any instrument but I would like to learn how to play violin.I listen to a music very often(I love it!)and I think that I'm able to.

New grammar question:Can I finish sentence with...-I'm able to...Or I have to say for what I'm able to?(...and I think that I'm able to play violin.)I didn't say that because I said "play"and "violin"too many times in 2 sentences.Thanks in advance,just want to improve my vocabulary and writing skills.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 10 June, 2015 - 16:38

Hi NATALYY,
It's great that you want to improve your vocabulary and writing skills :) The answer to your question is yes ... you can finish the sentence with "I'm able to", but to make it clearer you can say "I'm able to do that" or "I would be able to do that".
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teen Team)

PinkyPay's picture
PinkyPay 22 November, 2014 - 13:09

-I used to play the piano , when I was seven years old.I stopped playing it because I had to study new subjects, for example geography and history , so I didn't have time for playing the piano. When I played the piano ( for four years) ,I learned Mozart 's composition ,,Little night music'' and many other compositions.
-But, by reading this , I've decided to start playing the piano again! Thank you editors , your article has inspired me!
-I don't have time for other hobbies because of many obligations. :))

musciencequeen's picture
musciencequeen 9 November, 2014 - 10:08

I play piano and guitar too. But I don't have any music teacher, so I learned it by my self. But, I feel little bit hard for me for going professional. Hehee.. But I love to play "kentrung" too.. That's really funny:)

IrishGirl's picture
IrishGirl 4 November, 2014 - 15:50

I used to play the piano when I was young. I would love to know how to play it now but I also have lots of hobbies, so I don't have enough time.

Nyssandre's picture
Nyssandre 25 October, 2014 - 12:28

I started to play guitar two years ago. I wanted to learn how to play bass, but now, I think it could be difficult with my timetable : I'm in college, and I have so many homeworks, and then, I have a lot of hobbies. Nevertheless, I willing to play in a band.

Jonathan - Coor... 25 October, 2014 - 13:21

Hi Nyssandre. It must be difficult to find the time to practise an instrument as well as your studies, so good luck with it. Maybe you can have a quick practice session every morning before you go to college, or in the evening before you go to bed. It's great that you can play one instrument already. If you are thinking about taking up a new instrument, we have some more advice here. Thanks for your comment!

katherinenguyen1909's picture
katherinenguyen1909 5 October, 2014 - 13:35

I am now playing piano and guitar, and I'm loving it ! To me, the beauties of music not only come from listening and enjoying it, but also from being able to recreate it. Music is definitely the best way to express your feelings and to help you relax. I'm planning on learning to play the violin, and some other instruments in the future. Basically, I could never get satisfied with my knowledge in music

LaLaYu's picture
LaLaYu 2 October, 2014 - 15:43

I play piano too!I started playing the piano when I was four.I enjoy it very much>.<My favourite composer is Bach.All of his compositions were great.

monciak's picture
monciak 2 July, 2014 - 21:42

I play the keyboard for five years.
I like music, but I have more other hobbies; for example :
I love to learn new art techniques and create something from nothing. :)

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 22 June, 2014 - 12:36

I play piano for 8 years. I enjoy reading and learning English every time I`ve got a break.

Marijose06's picture
Marijose06 5 June, 2014 - 16:51

For 7 years now, i play saxophone ! I love it ! And i would like to learn to play piano in my music school. In the areas of sport, i play badminton in a club ! I like very much the volleyball also.

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 5 June, 2014 - 20:34

Hi Marijose06,
Please do not copy comments from other users. Please read our House Rules. You must write original comments as everyone is here to practise their English. Copying and pasting doesn't help you to learn English, so please don't do it again.
Best wishes, Jo (LearnEnglish Teens Team) 

Helle's picture
Helle 25 May, 2014 - 11:56

Aytekin1D's picture
Aytekin1D 24 May, 2014 - 07:40

no I can't but I WOULD LIKE play violen.This is my whish.My hobbie is draw for songs.This is enjoyable for me

Jairocuevas6's picture
Jairocuevas6 20 May, 2014 - 05:26

in my opinion i feel that playing a musical instrument in very good and they are doing something recreational and oreferred to spend time in an instrument to be vague on the street or do nothing, as i spent time playing drums and i feel i m doing something good advantage

Crystallized's picture
Crystallized 27 March, 2014 - 09:30

I do play the piano. And the classes got boring after 6 years. So when I finish the 'Elementary music school' (As we call it in my country) I am going to learn by myself. My other hobbies include drawing (I am not saying I am good, but I'm making progress), Book reading, Writing (again, NOT very good, but getting there), Procrastinating (I'm serious. It has become a daily thing for me.) and so on...

Kittylove's picture
Kittylove 19 February, 2014 - 20:41

I used to play piano at age of seven but my teacher went to another city so my new hobby is animals and all thinks about them. Also I had a guitar at the age of 9 but it broke at the first day on my guitar class :(((((

mete's picture
mete 16 February, 2014 - 14:47

I play NEY ( NEY is a traditional Turkısh instrument ) I think, you must listen to ney. wrıte ÖMER FARUK TEKBİLEK at youtube . When you listen to ıt, you feel very relaxed

JoEditor's picture
JoEditor 17 February, 2014 - 09:35

Hi mete,
Thank you for telling us about the 'ney'. I had never heard of this instrument. It's a type of flute, isn't it? I listened to the instrument being played on YouTube by Omar Faruk Tekbilek and it really was relaxing and beautiful! Thanks for sharing this. 

marinusca's picture
marinusca 6 February, 2014 - 17:15

Hi Jonathan.Thank you for this informations .They are verry useful for me.I will search and i hope i will find something interesting...Thank you again.

marinusca's picture
marinusca 4 February, 2014 - 19:30

I play piano.this is my passion and this is my dream.i am sure that it is not a hobby it is a future plan because i have played piano for 10 years.i practise very hard and i went at many contests.