The problem with Justin Bieber

The problem with Justin Bieber

A few weeks ago, I was sitting in Departures at Orly Airport in Paris with nothing much to do. The people next to me, a man and woman around the age of 30, were having what seemed like a very interesting conversation. I say ‘seemed’ like because they were speaking in Dutch, and I couldn’t understand a word of it. Nonetheless, the tones of their voices and their body language made me want to know what they were talking about. I sat there trying to guess the topic, or catch one or two familiar words. Were they talking about a film they’d seen? Or their trip to Paris? Or the Easyjet colour scheme? And then I heard two words loud and clear, two words which are the same in every language: Justin Bieber. What a let-down! Why is Justin Bieber everywhere?

A quick bit of research reveals some frightening facts about the young popstar. Listing all of his achievements right now would take up too much time and space – suffice to say that Bieber started out as a young boy posting videos of himself singing on Youtube, and he now has over 20 million followers on Twitter. If Wikipedia can be believed, he is also considered the 3rd most powerful celebrity in the world. This is hopefully an exaggeration, but no one can argue with the fact that his name pops up everywhere. And as yet I haven’t found anyone who can explain to me why this has happened.

A lot of people explain Bieber’s popularity by saying ‘it’s just young girls.’ My first response to that would be: where did he find 20 million young girls? And my second response would be – if it really is just this one group of people that forms his fan base: what has happened to the young girls of planet earth?! Has somebody brainwashed them all? Please can we go and rescue them.

When I was a teenager (in the not-so-distant past), I’m pretty sure girls had better taste. We used to watch The OC for Seth Cohen, not for Ryan. We liked Seth because he was the ‘less-obviously-good-looking-one’, because he was funny, quirky, and generally a little bit weird. When it came to music, we started out with bands like The Streets. I remember going to see them play when I was about 14 or 15 and thinking they were fantastic. And if you google Mike Skinner from The Streets, you’ll see he wasn’t famous because he looked like Justin Bieber. He was, and is, famous because he had some really interesting things to say. He certainly said more than ‘baby, baby, baby.’ I followed lots of musicians as a youngish teenager – Oasis, Razorlight, even a bit of Eminem. Admittedly there was the odd Westlife song I liked, too, but nothing like Bieber. My friends and I were into music that was interesting, musicians who could play instruments and who were cool!

And there it is, the biggest problem of all: Justin Bieber is not cool. I have watched as much as I could bear to on Youtube, and all I saw was a frighteningly young looking boy singing unimaginative songs about not very much. Why does he look so plastic? Where is his personality?

Justin Bieber has been watching me type this. I have a copy of Mizz magazine (a British magazine for young teenage girls which I use for teaching) on my desk. Bieber’s big, shiny face is looking at me from the back cover.  He’s trying to sell me his latest perfume. It’s called ‘Someday.’ Someday, Justin Bieber, I hope you’ll go away.

What do you think of Justin Bieber?
Do you know what the secret to his success is?

Justin Bieber? I had to say that when he was fifteen years old, I was his fan. Justin Bieber and the song " Baby' used to be a fever in Vietnam in a long time. The song Baby was so famous that our PE teacher allowed us to exercise and play that song at the same time.
Now, I fed up with Justin Bieber. He had a lot of scandals after breaking up with his girlfriend. In my mind, the fifteen-year-old boy with sweet voice and smile disappeared, instead of that is a twenty year-old man with so many weird issue.
His career is up and down, recently, it seems that it has been up.

Hi giang!
I'm not a fan of Justin Bieber so I don't know much about him, but I remember his song took the world by storm and he was the idol attracting lots of teenagers. Despite that, it's a shame that he had a lot of scandals, which made me think that it may be very difficult for a brad-packy to maintain his/her fame. Also I presume it's a disappointment for him not to have any reliable adults/managers who support him for the success….
But I don't know much about him anyway……!

1 user has voted.
amr100's picture

hello goodgirl.
How are you?
I hope that you are ok.
I am free happy because that you are from algeria.
I love algeria very much and i hope thate i can travel for study in it.

Crystallized's picture

I don't like Justin Bieber. Nor do i care about his music. I tend to distance myself from the music of today's 'mainstream' pop artists. However, that is very hard because there are billions of crazed fans that know every single quote and song by a certain artist, and think that every other person in the world should know them too. There are a few bands that i listen to and that is it. I mean, i know almost every song but I keep quiet about it, because i KNOW there are people who are annoyed (Considering the fact that I am one of them too) , and really, I do not want to bore them. I pick who I listen to and keep it to myself. (Unless someone asks me to tell them.)

The secret of his fame? I think that he is just another pretty boy who gained a lot of money and now is just a puppet to his record label company. And if you did not notice, most teenage girls today like mediocre voices and ''men'' who still act like adolescent boys. (The guy is around 20. I think.) End rant.

Macaque's picture

I'd say we have pretty much, the same opinion. Maybe I am a year late, but I am very interested in your taste in music. May I know what bands do you like?

1 user has voted.
Looneytribute0002's picture

Hi Crystallized,
That's one really good comment! I too distance myself from today's pop artists. I just can't stand their obnoxious music and pathetic behaviour! And I completely agree about reason of Bieber's fame.
Most of today's music is repetitive popish auto-tuned rubbish. There are hardly any good artists out there with actual talent anymore.
This is why I really want to go back to the 70s, 80s, 90s and also the early 2000s period (2000-2009)

May I ask one thing? What bands do you listen to?

Jairocuevas6's picture

i think justin bieber is a very averrated and comercial artist, which leads him to fame, to me personally i obssolety not like you music, it because i do not like hes musicand the genere least, i feel that all the fame that he has a risen to he think what he is superior to the other artist

Marijose06's picture

I think that's justin bieber sings good and eh dance very good, he has many songs some songs are awesome and some songs are good, I like the song baby that's song are the best that I hear from him I like so much that song and that is all

Varietasdelectat's picture

He is just... a weird girl with a weird voice (I'm sorry, Fans, but you should have a better taste...). I don't know why is he succesful, but try to analyse his appearance, his doings and his behaviour.. I hope you change your mind one day

Looneytribute0002's picture

I completely agree with you! It is nothing but a 24-year old guy ( who sounds like a 10 year old) who completely relies on auto-tune for his singing voice. He has absolutely no talent in singing. And His Behaviour? Pah! He is one of the most badly behaved humans I have ever known. Moreover , he has been arrested many times because of his bad behavior with people ( Driving too fast or Drunken Driving). he has even thrown eggs at his neighbours! (What!)
Personally I think he is a very bad "role model"or inspiration"for young fans (fan girls mostly).
He's a disgrace to the music industry...
Such a Pathetic person.. :(

I don`t adore him and I don`t hate him. Some of my friends are crazy for Justin Bieber but others hate him. I think the secret to his succees is more his beauty than his voice because most of his fans are girls.

beatiful's picture

I think, justin biber very very beatiful boy in amerika ,because I love justin bieber very very much. and justin bieber interest for me...

Samir13's picture

I am from AZERBAIJAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I like the song his BOYYYYYYY. Justin is one of the most exciting singers. There are a lot of CUSTININ fan. Love him to Azerbaijan.

fcbarcelona's picture

I don't like Justin Bieber, his songs are boring and he doesn't know how to behave. I don't like 1D too, I mean, they look like good guys, but their music is too comercial it's maked just to be liked by teenage girls.

lili's picture

HEY GUYS !!!!!!! if u keep goin' like this we may reach 300 comments.......
That would be...................OMG...............just amaizing.......................
HOPE WE KEEP DOIN'......... ;) :p

lili's picture

hello ellen
sorry i didn't answer you before but i'm just busy
i don't know what i wanna be in the future yet
i wanna read somewhere out of Albania
some good jobs are not those jobs that are safe but....................................
those jobs that make you feel good with it and that make you feel proud of it...:) not those jobs that your parents want you to do......
almost the same thing happens in my school
my hobbies are photography and makin' music
in my free time i listen t music but most of it i see movies...
i like every english song from rap,r&b,pop,hip hop and everything and they are so beatiful........
my favourite movies are Friday with Ice Cube and Chris Tucker,BAd Boys,MIB,Horror movies i love,i like even drama movies they make you cry and i it
WHAT ABOUT YOU???/????????????............PLEASE ANSWER and sorry about the late........

cupcakegirl's picture

I don't like Justin Bieber. But Its not that I hate 1D or like them. I just don't have any opinion on them like the way I do with justin bieber. I am glad that less people like Justin Bieber. 1D is taking over!

I love 1D but Justin Bieber, I hate that guy! I don't know why every girl is mad for Justin Bieber. 1D are way much better than Justin Bieber. I like his songs but I simply love 1D's. 1D is very much better than Justin Beiber.

Bosnianchild's picture

I do not love One Direction and Justin Bieber.At firs their text for songs are simple and they are always the same.I love RHCP and Linkin Park,this is ART!