Music

Rock music is for old men...?

49
William Fry

Now I may be twenty years old (going on twenty one), but I wouldn’t describe myself, nor will I ever be able to describe myself, as the sort of person who is able to keep up with, let alone to comprehend the latest trends in music. I consider myself to be a sort of semi-musician; I own a guitar and I enjoy playing it, but I’m not much good... Thus, instead of focusing my attention on becoming a rock star, I put this to the back of my mind, leaving the thought as something which often comes to me in a dream, always tempting but never nurtured.

Perhaps I was a realistic, if not pessimistic, teenager; once my dream of being a famous musician had been cast aside I took to rifling through my father’s record collection. So many hours of my teenage years were spent in blissful ignorance of any studying that I was supposed to be doing, preferring to spend my time exploring the annals of rock and roll history. Instead of Eminem or Britney Spears, I was nurtured on the music of such greats as Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd and David Bowie. If you find yourself completely lost at the mention of these names then I don’t feel that I can blame you, as most of my friends used to turn around and laugh at me. If, on the other hand, there is some sort of bell ringing at the back of your mind which says “hang on, weren’t Led Zeppelin that band that did a song about some sort of stairway that leads to heaven or something?”, then you’re on the right track.

Even as I sit here furiously typing away now, I am attached to a pair of headphones which is blasting away the music of Led Zeppelin at a most likely unhealthy volume. Friends at school would often say, “You know, you really should have a chat with my dad, he loves that kind of music”. I had always thought that this was a bad thing, yet now I realise that if you love a certain kind of music and truly have a passion for it, then you are most likely to meet some very interesting people on your musical journey. I could sit here and write something about all of the new bands that are around at the moment, but I would a) have to lie about any knowledge in the subject area and b) be missing the bigger picture, that we should listen to the music we enjoy, not necessarily what someone else tells you is good. As much as I sit here and talk about how good classic rock music is, the most interesting thing about music is that it is all about personal taste. I could never adequately describe just how important the bands that I listen to have been in shaping me as a person and influencing the choices that I have made. This is for me what is really so magical about music. No matter how diverse everyone’s tastes may be, we can all agree that we listen to the music that we enjoy, not only because we like it but also because it makes us feel something in a way that nothing else is able to.

I’m not saying that classic rock music is the only kind of music that you should be listening to, because that would be completely wrong, along with the fact that it isn’t the only type of music that I listen to. No one should be judged on the kind of music that they enjoy, even though mine may make me seem like an old man (old man Fry they called me at school), but once you’ve made a choice I’d applaud you more for sticking by it rather than allowing yourself to be influenced by others. I consider myself quite an open-minded person, a lot of friends have introduced me to bands that I would never have thought of listening to, but I still crawl back to good old classic rock when the times are tough. Music is something that we take comfort in, like an old friend; we all have favourite songs or bands for the different emotions that we may be going through. I tried new things, some of them I didn’t like but a lot of which I ended up buying the CD, putting it on my MP3 player and listening to it on the bus on the way to school on a rainy English morning (which is pretty much every morning between October and April). Thus I would like to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try a bit of good old classic rock, you never know, you just might like it...

Topics: 

Is classic rock music just for old people? What do you think?  Do you like any music that your friends have never heard of?

Looneytribute0002's picture
Looneytribute0002 19 May, 2015 - 16:27

I absolutely ADORE Classic Rock Music. I was born in 2000s so I didn't grow up with bands like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones ( I really wish I did!). My parents were exposed to Classic Rock since they were young adults/teens in the 80s 90s. As I kid I too was exposed to Classic Rock since they played in the Radio and my parents would also play them at home. I would ask my father more about these bands as I was a really curious child then. Now in the 21st Century, There aren't many such rock bands ( in fact I haven't found any!)with the same simplicity and elegance as Classic Rock Bands. Moreover ,Classic Rock music will live on forever as bands such as Queen, Led Zeppelin have produced such Great masterpieces that will inspire young rock musicians for generations to come. Classic Rock is my favorite kind of music and will ALWAYS be so. I do like modern Rock bands such as Paramore, Linkin Park but they aren't AS good.
Most of my favorite bands are Classic Rock bands but never am I going to see them play live as I wasn't alive at the peak of their popularity and also because a couple of them are no more( Took the "Stairway to Heaven" :P).
*sigh* I wish I could go back in time when Classic Rock bands ruled.
I 'm really jealous of the people who lived during that time!~~
Simply Marvelous Music! <3 <3

Ken 21 May, 2015 - 03:47

Wow, you're such a big fan of classic rock, aren't you!? Classic literature, rock, myths, ground and architecture... They all fascinate me and I admit they are classic!! ;-)

chomy's picture
chomy 19 November, 2014 - 19:06

I listened to rock music before i was born and played the guitar when i was 6 and i love rock, heavy, and from all years.

Raven's picture
Raven 1 August, 2014 - 20:41

Rock music is a great way to express your ideas and thoughts, especially if your views are different from those commonly used. It does not matter, you're 17 or 70 years old.

Rio007's picture
Rio007 2 July, 2014 - 17:13

I adore rock music and it's not only for old people but for people who appreciate good music.

Shtahetka's picture
Shtahetka 7 April, 2014 - 21:59

In my opinion it is very important chose a right type of music for people that make them better. No matter it will be rock music or punk music. We can express our feelings and emotions differently. As for me i try to respect choice of my friends. Because all music is Art!

MacedonianGirl's picture
MacedonianGirl 12 February, 2014 - 16:08

I don't think rock music is for old men.I listen rock music often.I like it.I prefer modern rock bands as OneRepublic Paramore 3 doors down.I think that rock songs have the best lyrics :)

Sevlana's picture
Sevlana 8 January, 2014 - 21:15

I think classic rock music is both old and young people. For instance, my teacher loves classic rock.

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 18 December, 2013 - 18:11

I don't listen to "older" kind of rock, not because I think It isn't for young people, just because I don't really like it. Everyone likes something different. I won't say I like only one type of music, but I really enjoy puck rock. My fav band is My Chemical Romance, and I like Linkin Park too. If everyone would like same things, world would me boring :D

fcbarcelona's picture
fcbarcelona 4 December, 2013 - 15:28

I don't think that rock music is for old people. I'm 15 and I love r'n'r. Nobody of my friens listens that kind of music (they're listening turbo-folk or teenage pop) but I just don't care.

Deki's picture
Deki 4 December, 2013 - 13:40

I have a friend who listens rock music and he is 13 years old. I think rock music is not just for old people. Rock is for everyone! :)

mickoviciqwe's picture
mickoviciqwe 11 November, 2013 - 20:25

what? Rock is for everyone lol XD if its just for old people will i be old?! With 13? :) i like rock and im not 60+ :D and yes i sometimes (rarely) listen to some classical music which , i bet , my friends well... didnt listen :P

Ame666's picture
Ame666 18 October, 2013 - 13:17

Of course it's not. I enjoy rock music. Actually, I have since I was a kid, even if back then I couldn't make difference between rock, pop, rap etc... I can't understand what's so great about today's pop stars. I mean, yeah, some of them have great voices, and don't get me wrong, I don't hate on pop, after all, The King of Pop (Michael Jackson) is my favorite singer, but can you hear the difference between pop music today and pop music in 80's? Rock changed too, but in my opinion, it stayed good, while pop music.... not so much...

KLEA B's picture
KLEA B 17 July, 2013 - 21:47

Many teenagers hate rock music but i know someone who is in love with this kind of music. Of course is they right to listen any type of music they want.

Natalija 23 March, 2013 - 08:19

Rock isn't definitely just for old persons. It depends from person to person, and everyone has the right to choose the music he prefers the most. I don't listen rock, but I appreciate it.

megadeth's picture
megadeth 15 March, 2013 - 19:31

hey you william fry
you really knew how to listen music when you where a teen!!!
well done!

Heiwajima Juli's picture
Heiwajima Juli 19 February, 2013 - 16:08

Rock music isn't for old men, many of my friends and I also listen to rock, and they are teenagers, rock Forever :D Of course, I understand that you can listen to rock and not everyone, but listening to music for a long time you get used.

merlin's picture
merlin 9 February, 2013 - 19:46

rock music is for every age except babies .i am teen and i like rock music also my mother and my grandfather the last one not too much but sometimes he listen very old rock groups.

TomaBarteneva's picture
TomaBarteneva 31 January, 2013 - 12:31

I don't think that rock music or metal is for old peoples.
I like this music. This is part of my life.
I think music is music. and if it was created with the feeling, do not notice it is simply impossible, no matter how many years you may be.

megadeth's picture
megadeth 9 January, 2013 - 19:23

yes ina ...
(for everybody who dont now..................I AM A GIRL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
DONT JUDGE THE PEOPLES FROM THEIR NAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jonathan - Coor... 10 January, 2013 - 05:05

Hi megadeth. I agree with you, rock music is not just for men! I'm sure there are many girls who like rock in the world so you're not alone. What kind of music do your friends prefer?

megadeth's picture
megadeth 11 January, 2013 - 12:30

Hi Jonathan.i will answer to your question.my friends prefer listening to justin bieber and others like him.
listening to heavy metal makes me unique in all my school!

Jonathan - Coor... 13 January, 2013 - 12:19

I think everyone is free to choose the music that they want to listen to, but I'm glad you have found the music that you love. Music is so important in life! I think being unique in your school is a good thing too.

megadeth's picture
megadeth 6 January, 2013 - 18:49

I dont think that rock music or metal is for old peoples.
I love rock and metal bands like KoЯn,Megadeth,Manowar,Metalica etc.
My friends think that I'm crazy and they have never listen to this bands.
I'm very sad about this but i cant do anything,they are my...........best friends.
And i live in a small country that rock is very unknown.(in Albania)

Yuliacrocodile's picture
Yuliacrocodile 7 October, 2012 - 13:00

I like some rock songs. My friends never heart group 'The pretty reckless', but I loke it so much

KrytIdol's picture
KrytIdol 4 October, 2012 - 15:53

As for me, mostly classical metal bands (such as Black Sabbath, Judas Priest, Megadeth) influenced me to create my own band. So I think that heavy music is not only for old people (I am 13)

photografer's picture
photografer 25 September, 2012 - 19:45

I think that rock musik is not only for old people. You become to listen rock when you understend something about it. It can be understanding of a greatness of world best musicians or understanding of how hard to play on the music instrument. I began listening rock when I began playing guitar. But for example my dad and grandfather are not listening rock.

Blue Willow's picture
Blue Willow 25 June, 2012 - 21:57

The idea that rock music is for older people comes from the fact that they were able to enjoy good quality music when they were teenagers, unlike us. :(

megadeth's picture
megadeth 9 January, 2013 - 19:29

hey,you can listen to every type of music you like!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i listen to heavy metal and to some old bands like megadeth ........ Who cares what others say :p

lux's picture
lux 11 June, 2012 - 16:22

I think everyone on this Planet knows at least one song from The Beatles, U2, Oasis etc. I would never say that rock music is for older man! ;)

Starlette Lady's picture
Starlette Lady 26 May, 2012 - 14:53

I don't think rock is just for old people. I personally love it. I prefer modern rock bands, such as Paramore, Relient K, Panic! At The Disco, Red Hot Chili Peppers, 3 Doors Down, One Republic (my friends have hardly heard about half of them or so). And surely the founders of rock'n'roll - The Beatles. But I also enjoy other kinds of music - such as country (e.g. Taylor Swift) & pop (if it's good pop). I'm not afraid of trying something new, and I might find really good songs just by accident - and that's how it usually happens. Thus, I don't follow the latest music trends. I don't hurry up to listen to the newest songs of Rihanna or Katy Perry or Lady Gaga or anybody else from today's musical industry. I prefer listening to what I know and like, and although I have about a couple hundred songs on my MP3, I'm not afraid to get lost in the music world. Because I know what I actually like, and I won't let anybody impose their concerns about music on me. As you wrote, music influences the development of personality greatly. And it's only ourselves who chooses what music to listen, what preferences to have and what life to live.