Science and technology

The Apple watch: technology gone too far?

22

For those of you who haven’t heard of it, the Apple watch is the latest invention from the infamous creators of the iPhone and Apple Mac. As the name suggests, this creation is a device designed to tell us the time. This is Apple, however, and an Apple watch is never just a watch. In fact, this accessory is multifunctional; not only does it show us the time, but it also acts as a fitness monitor and a messaging device that can be connected with an iPhone.

Is this a genius invention or technology gone too far?

Whilst the upcoming Apple watch is stylish in appearance, I can’t help but question certain aspects of the new device. Is it a positive thing to be able to receive messages through a watch, or is this another way of letting technology disrupt our social lives?

Thanks to the invention of the smartwatch, we will no longer have to reach for our phones to check our messages. Imagine the possible consequences. A group of friends sitting at a table in a restaurant will ignore each other as everyone will be too busy watching their wrists in anticipation of a new message. Students will have a means of ‘discreetly’ checking their inbox during school, despite the fact that mobile phones are forbidden in class. The list goes on. Although smartwatches may make communicating through technology easier, it seems that it could actually hinder face-to-face communication.

Much like a phone, the watch would also need to be charged every day. This is yet another aspect of the device which sets it apart from any ‘normal’ watch. If, like me, you struggle when remembering to put your phone on charge, this is not necessarily a positive thing.

I do have to agree, however, the watch has some interesting and purposeful functions. As a fitness monitor, the device can be used to create and record sporting activities. This could be of particular interest to sports fans. Whilst there are several existing android apps that can already do this, I can see that the Apple watch would be a more convenient way of exercising without a mobile phone. The questions remains, however, is the price worth the benefits?

Whilst there are clearly both positive and negative aspects when it comes to Apple’s latest invention, I personally like my single-purpose watch that simply tells me the time! What about you? Would you be interested in having a smartwatch?

Would you like to have a smartwatch? 

Ken 20 July, 2016 - 07:08

It looks good, but once we become an Apple user, we have to be prepared for unending payment for constant upgrade...!

iva10 1 October, 2015 - 14:39

No i prefer normal watches.Tehnology has gone too far the next thing is a tablet unstead of books.It isn't enough that people have smart phones and now smart watches?Realy ,people will forget to write .Don't like tehnology that much!It was better when it wasn't smart phones.

Ken 29 August, 2015 - 12:38

Hmm... Looks nice.... But I'l wait and see for s little while...
  ∧ ∧      
 ( ´・ω・) 
 /  ⌒ヽ   
(人___つ_つ

(๑˃̵ᴗ˂̵)و

HH's picture
HH 28 August, 2015 - 16:08

Hmmmm.....It sounds interesting, but not really needed. The price is absolutely worth of the effort and time they spent. But whatever, it is so expensive and I can't afford it.

Alexander111's picture
Alexander111 17 August, 2015 - 03:31

Smartphone, smartwatch are things that need to be control. Or they could harm our eyes and make human stop conversation with each other. But though, I like latest technology, so I would like to have a smartwatch after I can control myself. Can British Council have a lottery of Apple Watch?

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 15 August, 2015 - 14:30

i reall have had enough of this technology,toi be truthful.its getting too far and giving me the creeps.as you may agree watches should be watches and nothing else for they are designed to check on time and so far has done a good job.its desperate to have everything multi functioning for the plain reason that we,humans are not..brands or quality or cost doesn't matter on our way to corruption as we are teenagers.why have school rules if worlds reaching to these every minute.i simply am fed up with this now

Lavender 27 March, 2015 - 14:17

The idea of multifuntional watch is interesting, but this Apple watch must be expensive like other Apple products. So when I wear it I have to becareful to prevent it from scratch. And I wonder if the watch is water proof or not. My choice is traditional one because I want to be free in activities

BlakeS's picture
BlakeS 18 March, 2015 - 12:02

I know what you mean. I think this 'watch' could become just another distraction with emails and other messages. I'd rather keep my normal wristwatch!

Tunisian123's picture
Tunisian123 17 March, 2015 - 13:20

They are nice but very expensive..and for me,i don't want to spend a lot of money on it,i mean a phone is much better for me than this watch !!

IloveallinConan's picture
IloveallinConan 16 March, 2015 - 12:42

I like smartwatch but I need to consider in terms of features, effects and costs of the SmartWatch because I was a student so the price is very important to me.