Science and technology

Are mobile phones taking over our lives?

42
Bethan Morgan

Next time you’re in a public place, take a look around you, and count how many people are using their phones. I can tell you now that it is probably more than half, whether you’re on public transport, in a café or simply walking down the street.

I’m not saying that I am not an example of this, but it always amazes me how people can spend so much time on their phones without actually talking to anyone in particular. With the constant upgrade of technology we can now do practically anything on a device which can fit in the palm of our hands. But has it gone too far? Do we spend too much time on our mobiles and not enough time talking to people ‘in real life’?

For example, I recently visited London and travelled on the tube while I was there. Apart from the people asleep, almost everybody else was on their phones, and because of the nature of the tube, it is difficult not to see exactly what they are all doing. Of course, being underground it is difficult to get any signal, which rules out texting or using the internet, but there is still plenty you can use your phones for. People were playing games, reading articles and listening to music, and I am sure that as soon as they emerged from the train station they would start texting or calling or checking their emails. There is a constant connection to everyone in the world, as long as you have a mobile phone in your hand.

Recently, my smart phone broke and had to be sent off to the warehouse for repair for a week or so. In the meantime I had to use a really old, basic phone just to keep me in touch with my family and friends. All I could do on this phone was send text messages, make calls and play one game. And I loved it. I loved being free from the internet, and I really didn’t mind not having constant updates about what my friends were doing or what the latest celebrity story was. It was quite refreshing and it allowed me to spend more time taking in my surroundings – I could enjoy my time in London more, for example, and I could watch the people around me and really see what was going on.

However, I knew that as soon as I got my smart phone back I would be one of those people once again, obsessed with finding out what everyone is doing and wasting my time playing games or checking social network sites. Perhaps I should just go back to using the basic phone and forget I ever got my smart phone back...

Are you one of those people who is constantly on their phone? Do you think they are taking over our lives?

Mjjimcan's picture
Mjjimcan 13 April, 2016 - 17:04

Yes I'm, I use my phone for all things and I am always with it, If I go out with my friends I take it, when I am having meal and I recive a message I respond it... I pass most of my time with my phone. But I Think If we want to change this manners we can, but If we wan't we can't it isn't easy but it isn't difficult so, come on we can change our lifes!!

Martica's picture
Martica 14 April, 2016 - 14:04

I'm a lot with mobile and I think he could not live without because almost everything is on mobile.

KimchiSoup's picture
KimchiSoup 25 February, 2014 - 23:21

No, maybe I can't because I'm always wondering about m favorite star's some pictures or radios and I want to know what's happening in my social network if I don't check my smart phone, I can't talk with my friends. Also, my smart phone gives me a lot of fun so maybe I can't give up my fun.

junaid's picture
junaid 23 February, 2014 - 08:05

I use cell phone when I need to talk with my friends and relatives and I prefer to talk through text, It has advantages a lots we can easily be in touch with our friends through text and using face book but limitation should be there we should not be addicted of it as we are well aware that every thing has advantages with its disadvantages it depends on us how we use it..

cklj's picture
cklj 20 February, 2014 - 12:27

No, actually in my situation is completely opposite. I don't have a smart phone through I love my phone. But I don't need it so I don't take my phone with me in school. I use it sometimes to call my friends or my grandparents and to listen music.
I hate seeing that today everyone are non-stop on their phones and are always connected to their Facebook profiles, Instagram and they are chatting with others all the time. They are taking control of our lives and that's totally wrong, that shouldn't be that way. People should have never let a little machine to control how will they act or feel.

Mahmudova's picture
Mahmudova 22 January, 2014 - 08:54

I only use my phone to listen music,,i dont like people who take the phone all day on their hands i hate them................

Steppatrix's picture
Steppatrix 26 December, 2013 - 13:48

More or less...I have not an iPhone or a kind of phone that's ultratechnologic, but also in my phone there are many applications that I like much more...For example, Facebook mobile, where you can share everything with your friends, or Twitter, Tumblr or Instagram, the most famous social network for share our photos. Generally, I'm not a kind of person that prefer stay on my phone instead of go out with my friends. I've a lot of friends that are addicted to phone...
What can I say? I'm so displeased for they. I think that mobile phones are very important in our lifes and I don't know what I could manage without them...But shouldn't become a dependence, 'cause in this way it risk to do just that in the life and lose all of our interests!! In every way...We shouldn't disconnect everything and begin to live truly! :D

Kisses. Greta, Italy

justcricketforme 18 September, 2013 - 12:49

I'm not but my friend is she is so much adicted to it that she even brought it to school and spent all her recess and Physical Education on logining on to Twitter and Facebook. I think mobile phines are taking over our lives.

saba's picture
saba 3 September, 2013 - 16:00

i dont use my smartphone all the time because i have more intresting and usefull activities to do i sugest to people not to use there phones all the time because it'll cause cancer I've heard it from my uncle who is a doctor and i'm really scared of getting cancer!!!

Negar1995's picture
Negar1995 7 September, 2013 - 08:43

u know i use my tablet alot but i think it can cause some bad things like cancer. im addicted to my tablet!!!

Malambrano's picture
Malambrano 26 August, 2013 - 23:22

OML! What a interesting topic! I'm really agree, I consider is a good point because many of us are not thinking about our 'real life' I just think we have to recognize we ha ve power over those kind of tecnology

Pitaloka's picture
Pitaloka 21 August, 2013 - 07:36

I was one of those people. Of course they are taking my lives.
I can't stand out of my phone (even when I'm sleeping, I'm holding it).

SemaSou's picture
SemaSou 16 August, 2013 - 17:14

Actually "my relationship" with my phone depends on so many features and I think my humor to be the most important of them all . Many of you should have already noticed that bordem is one of the most common reasons that push us to take on our mobile phones and check our e-mail or our facebook 10 times per minute and that having something interesting to do can save us from that boring and insignificant attitude at the point of forgetting our mobile phones for hours . Thus being addicted to my mobile phone is actually a question that depends on things I do , if I am really interested in doing sth and longing to do it then I forget about everything related to my phone otherwise, feeling really bored and the lack of motivation can unintentionally push me to have my eyes stuck on my phone and to waste then my whole day ...

taradex's picture
taradex 4 August, 2013 - 09:26

Hmm...I used to have this short-term habit for about 3 weeks-I used to chat with every messenger possible-but after a while, my friend and I decided to stop it :D I don't do it now though; that's true. I think if ppl-mostly teenagers-use it properly, it wouldn't be such a big problem.

RehinaParker's picture
RehinaParker 29 July, 2013 - 15:05

I only use my phone to listen music ,,,,, i dont like people who take the phone all day on their hands i hate them...pff

ellen's picture
ellen 16 July, 2013 - 10:01

Hello Ilgin
I agree with your comments. So do I. i can without smart phone. This my life it is very impossible.
How many years do you have to use the phone? :D

Ilgın's picture
Ilgın 12 July, 2013 - 13:10

It's very diffucult questions because smart phones provide us to be contact our friends when they're far away. But when I try to write a messege or a tweet I miss the conversetion with other who is talk to me face to face. But I can live without my smart phone, I tried this 2 months ago to study my exams. But I was quite relax. However I was a bit curious:D

someoneintheworld's picture
someoneintheworld 5 July, 2013 - 12:13

When i read this, i decided to use a basic phone during a week. I can live without a smart phone, i can live without check-in on foursquare, i can live without my tweets, WE CAN LIVE!

someoneintheworld's picture
someoneintheworld 5 July, 2013 - 12:05

No, I am not one of those people. My smart phone doesn't spend my time but Social Media spend my time. I use my phone to connect Social Media. I know, i can live without it but i wanna write a tweet, check-in on foursquare etc. It is not my wrong, in Turkey all teens use a mobile phones. But the old people use basic phones. But after i read this, i decided to use basic phone during a day. Hey phone, you don't seize me!

AHMED_K's picture
AHMED_K 1 July, 2013 - 21:09

I realy hate smart phones I never use them and I will never do that because when i see my friends who have smart phones I see people can not see hear or talk they just carry thier phones and look in it you can talk for an hour to them without any reaction

giorgi.shonia's picture
giorgi.shonia 25 June, 2013 - 22:21

I'm not one of them, i only use phone for calls an messages, only for contact with people far from my voice area :)

Uvaldo's picture
Uvaldo 25 June, 2013 - 21:02

I hate smart phones, I prefer to use a basic phone it keeps me in touch with the real world

farahmazin's picture
farahmazin 24 June, 2013 - 23:37

yes of course i am one of them i have an iphone and when i wake up in the morning first of all i check my facebook,instagram, tiwtter,whatssapp.viber then i say good morning to my family then i go to my phone and check my facebook agin, and my phone influnte on my coummincite with other people and my realetionship with my family and i had so much problems because of my phone

Natalija 24 June, 2013 - 14:25

Definitely, I'm not addicted to mobiles. My friends say I'm the last person in the world with predispositions of being addicted:). I barely use it, and as Lavander said, I don't deny its advantages, but I barely use it, just for SMS. My mobile is very modest, and I don't have much apps on it, neither I want. I prefer talking face to face than staring at mobile as a dull person, waiting for new message, "like", "dislike", tag etc. I don't have profile on facebook, neither I want. It's just wasting of time. I like going outdoors, exploring the nature, environment, playing sport etc. than to close to room and do nothing. I hate playing games, and I still write letters:). I'm a romantic soul:). But I send them just to my bosom friends. I'm not kind of weird:), I still use mobile, you know, but little.
I know two persons which mobile took over their life-my mother's friend and my sister. That friend of my mother used to talk for 7 hours daily! Can you imagine it? She had headache at the end, and had to stop, but I pitied my Mom, because that friend bothered her for so long.
My sister is abroad and she has to talk to us. She's homesick, but she knows my attitude toward mobiles, so we talk for 10 minutes, but she keeps Mom on the phone 1 hour.

Lavender 26 June, 2013 - 12:20

Thank you for mention me, Natalija.
You know, I have a Facebook account and let me share you something I hate about it. I don't find the point of having constant updates about what my friends were doing. I even hate watching my rich friends enjoying their luxury stuff. Well I have to admit I was kind of jealous. So for me tracking people makes me stressful at times. When I shared some stories on Fb, I received 'like' from my friends, but the thing I cared was Who really read that story? I guessed not all of them. 'like' doesn't mean a lot. But people prefer being liked.
The problem is I can't quit Fb. All my friends use it, and if I don't, sometimes I can't get the stories, topics on fb that my friends or people are talking about. And if I don't have fb, it makes me harder to talk with my friends. Because I have some close friends who live in another city, meeting them is impossible. Even with the friends living in the same city with me, having an appointment with them is not that easy. People have own lives, have own schedules and it's hard to find the time that both are free. So Facebook is the quickie way :)

Natalija 26 June, 2013 - 19:24

Thanks for your comment, Lavander:)
You may be right. I must agree that Facebook offers many good things, those you've mentioned, but I don't like it. I I had an account, I'd find much easier to talk to my foreign friends, relatives and friends from other cities, you're completely right, and that's the reason why I was thinking of having a Facebook profile, and all friends of mine told me to have one, but I'm so stubborn:). As you've said, Facebook helps us to know what's currently going on, what're the latest events etc., and I feel like I'm somehow excluded from all that news, since I'm the only one in my class with no Facebook profile. I used Bebo for a while-it's something like Facebook, and it's popular abroad, in the UK especially, but just for a day, because I didn't like it. Modern life imposes so many things, and I'm sure there will come the day where we'll be living in a real virtual world, where Facebook registration will be required, but I'll avoid Facebook til that day as much as possible:).
Greetings:)

Lavender 28 June, 2013 - 03:51

I share the same opinion with you, Nat. I think you're doing in a good way. It's nice to talk to you. Hope we can have more conversations in the future :)
Ps: I find this site is a kind of social network, but talking on this is more interesting, and useful :)))

Lavender 22 June, 2013 - 08:41

No, I'm not. I do have a cell phone but I'm not addicted to it. I don't deny the advantage of phones, in may cases phones help me a lot. But I don't like the way many of my friends use phones nowadays. In the past each time I met my friends, we were just talking and talking, so much fun. Now everyone is busy with phones, they're keep talking on Internet, checking Facebook, reading news, playing games instead of focusing on talking with the ones sitting next to them. There were may times, we were sitting together but almost quiet, no sound but the *beep* *beep* of phones/tablets.

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 29 June, 2013 - 11:36

My friends are the same, whenever there is a group of us together there is always someone on their phone. It's okay as long as it doesn't interfere with real life, I think :)

Hanna's picture
Hanna 22 June, 2013 - 08:37

I don`t have smartphone so I don`t use Internet on it. I am using my phone just to be connected with family and friends. Also I deleted all games on my phone so I don`t spend a lot of time doing anything with it

Rayhanita's picture
Rayhanita 21 June, 2013 - 16:52

I think I am one of those people... I enjoy taking my phone and I always feel like login in my Facebook or twitter account. I it's little bit difficult and unhealthy for my eyes but I find nothing to do except playing or surfing the Internet. Do you have the same feeling?!

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 29 June, 2013 - 11:34

I know what you mean, I find I do this especially when I'm waiting for something, like the bus, or even if I just have nothing to do!

LiliyaM's picture
LiliyaM 21 June, 2013 - 07:44

I haven`t a smart phone,that`s mean,that i use phone only for calling or sending SMS. I have a good example,because my best friend always use her smart phone,that makes me crazy,because i can`t talk to her.

Jona's picture
Jona 20 June, 2013 - 16:18

Mobile phones are part of our "routine".We use them to do lots of things and to me they are kind of taking over our lives cuz as I said we use them for lots of things but we still do things that don't involve our mobile phones.
Just my opinion....

Nathalie's picture
Nathalie 20 June, 2013 - 03:20

hmm..i think i am one of those people and i think its very distractive as i can't concentrate more on my studies.

Bethan Morgan's picture
Bethan Morgan 20 June, 2013 - 22:12

I agree. Some of my friends deactivate their Facebook profiles or completely disconnect from the Internet while they are studying... I think sometimes it's necessary!

hayaalhams's picture
hayaalhams 19 June, 2013 - 08:38

mmm .. acttually i was one of those people ... i was playing games or open my facebook profile to talk with my friends ... but suddenly i left my phone because i felt boring when i use it .. now i found some ways to make me happy without my smart phone