Science and technology

Are we addicted to technology?

18
RosemaryM

Technology has become an integral part of our lives. It has transformed our lives in many ways. In many ways, it makes life more convenient for us: we can send messages quickly via the internet, cook meals in a few minutes in a microwave, and book train tickets online instead of walking to the station. However, in our increasingly technology-driven world, have we become addicted to technology?

Not too long ago, many children enjoyed reading a good book in their spare time. Nowadays, adolescents are more likely to be seen playing video games or watching television. Some people even claim they can't go without watching their favourite TV programme - which is a bit extreme!

Similarly, sending letters has become a thing of the past. It has been replaced by email, instant messaging and social media. I think this is a huge shame; for me, there's nothing better than receiving a letter in the post. It shows someone has taken the time to sit down and write something; this is much more personal than a conversation online. For some people - especially the older generation - new methods of communication aren't so accessible. I regularly send letters and postcards to my grandma to keep her updated with my life in France; I also send them to my boyfriend and sister.

The presence of social media has, in some respects, turned us into anti-social beings. Instead of meeting up with friends and seeing them face-to-face, we now spend a lot of time communicating online. Although online communication has its advantages - notably, enabling us to keep in touch with loved ones in different countries - we shouldn't forget the value of real-life human interaction. It is, after all, in our nature to socialise with others! 

Admittedly, I spend a lot of time using technology. I rely on the internet and my laptop to plan lessons for my classes. I use wifi on my phone to send messages via apps such as Viber and Snapchat. That said, when I'm on holiday it is nice to switch it all off and have a break. Taking a break from technology is liberating.

Are you addicted to technology? Do you ever take a break from technology? 

yusifzehra's picture
yusifzehra 5 February, 2017 - 11:04

Smartphone and mobile phones are very important in our life. It is very difficult to imagine our life without smartphones. Nowdays everyone has a mobile phone. The most of these are smartphones with these smartphones we can connect to the internet send texts and make phone calls. But there are some people that addict to the smartphone. They can not imagine themselves without smartphones.
There are some advantages and disadvantages of having smartphones. With the smartphones we can entertained ourselves, we can read the news, play games, listen to music, watch a film.
If we have a smartphone we can check our emails, if we want to go somewhere to have a rest smartphones help us to get information on where to go and what to do. Smartphones are useful for drivers. By helping of them the drivers can get information about traffic jams. We can connect our phone to our car's audio system and listen to our favourite music while we are driving.
Smartphones can be addictive. They are very adaptable gadgets. We spend too much time on smartphones. They can make us isolated from the real world. We can lose our communication skills. Most people prefer phone call and sending message to have conversation. In my opinion it makes people less face-to-face communication. Smartphones impact badly on health. If we use smartphones for long hours daily it lead us to serious health issues.

nawaki's picture
nawaki 31 August, 2015 - 23:51

I am not addicted to technology: I use technology just in studying or for searching informations.In holidays, I don't use technology like the other times and I prefer to travel or reading books: like this, I can take a break from technology.

Elsa007 23 August, 2015 - 06:56

Addiction? Too bad…!!
The word reminds me of negative constitutions such as drug, alcohol, nicotine, xxx, etc…
When we use technology as a resource for the work, we don't think it addictions. An healthy over-the-road driver, for instance, has no choice to keep driving even though it's bad for health but they know when to take a rest to avoid losing their grips. While unhealthy drivers can be speed-addicted!

Actually, my old brother was addicted to the Internet. I worried about him a lot and one day my strict mom knew enough to extremely out of sorts. "Come on!! What in the world is going on, Mr.Narcissist??" …………..
Then he replied as if nothing had happened, "No problem, Mom! Don't worry, I'm a good climber! Just wanted to look into a swamp, and I saw Nessi, mom, which can never drug itself on to the land we live..."
That's my old bros…....!! ツ

Saarim's picture
Saarim 15 August, 2015 - 10:55

Well, To Be Honest, Yes Im addicted to technology i only rely on them but now i understand that for me BOOKS ARE THE GREATEST EVER TECHNOLOGY, well not technology.

Lejdi's picture
Lejdi 17 March, 2015 - 22:43

To be honest, I do not consider myself addicted to technology. I only use my phone when I need it. I strongly believe that technology has a positive effect on our lives. When someone needs something, he sends you a message on Skype, Messenger or Viber. Your business hone notifies you when a message arrives. As you can imagine, this communication is faster than letters mentioned above.

Agostina's picture
Agostina 17 March, 2015 - 14:29

My best friend is addicted to facebook and twitter and her parents install parental control software called PCWebControl to help her... now she has time to go out with us, go to cinema etc.

valko's picture
valko 4 March, 2015 - 05:18

Must admit it, i'm pretty addicted to technology i prefer spend my time on my phone... i know that's bad but i use my phone for lesson like this.. i spend my free time to read this magazine actually right now i'm with my friend they are talking about naruto that's boring thing i think so i prefer to open my phone web browser and reading this magazine.. it's better than listen to them talking about naruto.

ISA0702's picture
ISA0702 13 February, 2015 - 14:51

Umm...It does addict me.Just a bit,not that serious. I've tried to stay away from my cute phone and computer for a day.However,I was lost.I couldn't keep away for so long time without checking messages.I SURRENDER~Anyway,I may do that if I'm reading a really nice book that enchanted me a lot :)

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 February, 2015 - 16:32

Technology to me is a nagging friend behind my head, urging me to talk to him all the time. It says, come my friend , you ought to check your emails. In case there's no email, ah voila, he makes me disappointed. Or it will ask me to go browsing for hundred of things and sometimes I forget half of them. I agree that we are addicted to technology and I have a few crazy friends few who are mad on , specially video games. But one must keep limits. Like me.(don't under-judge me, i read a lot of books both online and the paperback)
I really do wish we had letters now and then, so it would be really nice to sit back and read the letter received and keep it forever or burn it if it is irritating.
And it is a relaxed break if one took a long rest shutting out that nagging friend. You really would feel the sensation without him. The annoying rascal. Technology. But all same I'd rather be thankful to him and ungrateful for making us addicted to him.( I'm not addicted, to be honest..)

Lavender 21 April, 2015 - 00:30

I like your comment Silvermist. Internet is attractive. It distracts me from many things like studying. I'm not addicted to it but I try to resist this temptation everyday.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 21 April, 2015 - 13:05

Hi lavender,
Have you ever switched on your computer while studying?I have and it does distract heavily. The temptation is really strong.

Lavender 10 July, 2015 - 05:47

Hi Silver!
Yes I do it often. I hate myself doing this.
Sometimes I wish I could forget the wifi password.

sararosita's picture
sararosita 31 January, 2015 - 22:50

I totally agree ,technology is invented in order to make our life easier not to be addicted to it; in fact , now we use technology wherever we are ,and without any reason, taking the exemple of facebook: Teens use facebook to see what others did and to waste time , which separate them to members of their family, because they spend most of the time in virtual world , they become asocial .. etc there are lot of exemples.
So i hope that everyone who is reading now my comment to think about this and to try to change their attitudes . I focus more on socialising , don't be asocial and forget your family because one day they will leave this world then it will be too late

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 30 January, 2015 - 16:18

As a matter of fact,we are.Technology has already become a part of our lives and has imbibed the natural routine of us which left us a long time back.Since the introduction of mobile and specially computer everything has transformed.We are leading a robot life ,yet we are into inventing new robots too!From the moment we start our day we lead a life harnessed to technology.It's always tech pul;ling our reins to direct us ,and the nature is neglected,Inspite og f age and social system technology has spread out which,I personally like.We never take a break from technology,I won't,u won't.noone ever will......