Science and technology

Behind the filter of social media

8
KatiedeS

It's easy to be misled by social media. With the sudden rise of social networks over the last decade, we are now able to create our own online identities through the forms of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Blogger, Pinterest ... the list goes on. At the touch of a button we're able to share photos, videos and our thoughts and feelings with friends and followers all over the world. It has become a platform to share all the positives in our lives, a way to show off, for example when we go on holiday. Our culture has become obsessed with counting the number of 'likes' we get on a photo or how many 'favourites' we get on a tweet. It's easy to look at someone on social media and consider them to have the perfect life, however in many cases there is another story behind the filtered selfies.

An Australian 'Instagram celebrity' called Essena O'Neill recently made headlines after she decided to quit social media. Despite having over half a million Instagram followers she revealed her pictures were all completely fake and had been set up. She explained she was often paid by companies to post photos and would take hundreds of selfies before posting what appeared to be a candid shot.

Social media can also often make us feel isolated, since we only ever see one side of a person's life. You will rarely see someone post to say they are watching TV on their own or studying for an exam, whereas it's normal to see people out socialising with friends. It's easy to assume all our friends are having an amazing time all the time, but remember to take what you see on social media with a pinch of salt; someone's online presence may not be all it's cracked up to be.

What do you think about social media? Which sites and apps do you use? 

Saionji's picture
Saionji 22 January, 2017 - 18:45

I think that every thing has bright sides and dark sides. And so is social media. The first disadvantage of social media which every one knows is that it terribly wastes our time ! And also there are some websites for illegal stuff ...
But of course , if you want to use it in good things ,it'll be easier to do it in the internet than on somewhere else.
That's why they call social media '' A Weapon with Two Sides '' , if you used it on the wrong side , it's gonna destroy you!

Elsa007 27 July, 2016 - 03:33

Dear KatiedeS

I like the way you view things on the filter of social media which is very down-to-earth.
One thing that I can't figure out is why people tap social media to do enjoy misleading others to show off their superiority feeling even towards many and unspecified people. What they do obviously seems to be the flip side of mind and character or, as Manaly says, resulted from depression. Given that they do the same thing in face-to-face situations, people around them will screw up their face and go away silently. But on SM, people are quite unaware (some are out of malice) of the ways in which their deeds provoke feelings of unpleasantness and isolation in others or even in friends, because they don't have to know unwelcome faces directly. For me, it looks like people are driving the way blindfold on SM!

Okay, but if kids grow up soaking in the fake world, I wonder how it impacts on our future...
Anyway, I will wait and see a little more so that I can bring it all down-to-earth like you do, KatiedeS.

Best wishes,
Elsa

Manaly's picture
Manaly 26 July, 2016 - 11:15

Social media has both negative and positive side. For the negative side social media is a reason of depression. People usually compere their lives with others thinking that they are the worst. As mentioned in the article it makes a person isolated from his family and company. People spending more time using these app without saying a word to his mom or dad whose setting near him.
On the other hand, social media has a very positive affection in our lives. It linked us with the furthest people. it allowed us to share our great moments with those who can not be with us.
for me i always use twitter, instagram and snapchat.

Salmaihim's picture
Salmaihim 2 January, 2016 - 14:37

i see your topic is extremely important for discussion. I can wonder many times about how do my friends appear happy all the time! how do they find life that easy and simple! Don't get me wrong, i don't mean to eye-envy them but life is ,truly, full of obstacles which every person has to deal with it , like me know im trying to deal with my miserable English -writing which i am really struggling with.

gianggiang 9 November, 2015 - 13:55

Nobody can deny that social media gives us a lot of benefits although it also has harmful effects, but its benefits can surely outweigh its harms. All depend on us. When we use social media, this means we accept to become a part of unreal life, and we can give it up whenever we feel bored.
Anyway, thank to Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook, Vietnamese students' characters have changed positively and negatively. Facebook - easy to join in, hard to give up. Luckily, I rarely use FB. Studying online on Moon website and improving my English on learnEnglishteens fill my free time up.

viendongthap123's picture
viendongthap123 13 July, 2016 - 06:39

Hi, I agree with you. Nobody can deny the social media.I in Vietnam, We always go to internet and use facebook, youtube and many program. It is very helpful.

Elsa007 8 November, 2015 - 09:55

Yes, "It's easy to be misled by social media.", and it's easy for social media to lend a helping hand to people who want to satisfy their vanities.
Thanks to social media, on the other side of the coin, we become easy victims of pics and posts that jump off the page. Recently, more and more people get stressed and have started to complain about being exposed to the posts on an ego trip over and over.
With tongue and cheek, take it easy on Fakebook and Instacram! !☆