Science and technology

Monday, 8 May, 2017 - 15:21

Driverless cars: a great or problematic invention?

by MarthaBlogger

Have you ever seen a car without a driver? It sounds crazy, but these computer-driven driverless cars will soon be filling roads near you. Companies like Google and Tesla have been designing and testing these cars, and the technology is there – they just need to see if they’re value for money, work out insurance issues, and run final tests to check they can run alongside human-driven cars on the road.

So how do they work? The cars have sensors all around which can detect other cars and obstacles in the road. Sensors on the wheels also help when parking, so the car knows how far it is from the kerb or other parked cars. Road signs are read by cameras, and satellite navigation systems are used so the car knows how to get to your destination. All you have to do is type in the address! Finally, a central computer system takes in all the information it receives from the sensors and cameras and processes this to work out when to accelerate, brake and steer.

Sound like your idea of heaven? Sitting back, looking out of the windows and even watching a film or reading a book while ‘driving’ would be possible with this new technology. You wouldn’t have to worry about remembering directions to where you’re going. In addition, computers are generally more efficient drivers than humans, meaning emissions would be reduced. They would also drive more safely than people – they don’t get distracted by music or friends, they would obey the speed limit and they have quicker reaction times in case of an emergency.

However, there are many drawbacks of driverless cars. Computers would have difficulties making ethical decisions; if a child ran into the road, would the computer choose to hit the child or swerve and potentially kill the car’s passengers? Moreover, I personally find driving fun – I’d miss never being behind the wheel myself. There would also be many legal decisions to be made – should children, or drunk people, be allowed in a driverless car by themselves? Or would there need to be a responsible adult with a driving licence in the car at all times?

Although being driven around by a machine would perhaps mean that no one needs a driving licence, saving money for everyone, many people would be put out of a job by the dawn of driverless cars. Bus, taxi, train and tram drivers as well as driving instructors would be made redundant.

I’m not convinced I’d want a driverless car – but it’s only a matter of time before they’ll become more affordable and commonplace on our roads.

Language level

Would you like to own a driverless car?

Submitted by Sudipto on Fri, 04/09/2021 - 04:12

Well I think that driverless cars are good...but I still think that it will not be good because we cant be so lazy. I mean we should at least drive a car. There is anther felling by driving a car and sitting like couch-potato. I know we are really advanced but still we should not be so lazy and I think it would be more costly than a Lamborghini. Its all automated, so it will can be like terminators ~_~ . But still I think no I wont like a self driving car. (~ ̄▽ ̄)~ Sudipto logging out.

Submitted by Roha on Tue, 04/06/2021 - 16:36

i would like to have a driverless car because, I am really bad at direction. I can't tell that which is left or which is right. So, I think I have to buy a driverless car or who can tell when I get lost .... hehehe Thank you so much guys for reading my comment ...

Submitted by abcd_ef on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 13:10

I always liked a driverless car and would be really joyful to ride a driverless car. But it is also true that some technical malfunction can occur in those driverless cars which can lead into serious accidents. So, I would be happy to own a driverless car but at first would be concerned about that it should not have any difficulties.

Submitted by Ahnaf_Ahmad on Sun, 04/04/2021 - 05:15

I would love to own a driverless car. It has so many facilities you don't even have to remember the directions how awesome it is! But if a malfunction occurs there would be a great problem. It can lead us to dangerous accidents, even death. So, it has both good and bad sides. If we maintain the car and repair it when needed we can avoid the accidents and enjoy the facilities.

Submitted by hpeaounl on Sun, 04/12/2020 - 01:09

I would like to own a driverless car because I could ride a car all by myself without needing to be 16 or older. I wouldn't need to know the directions and wouldn't need my driver's license. I personally think there would be no risk of any accidents. That's because the country law could be more strick with footpaths and pathways. I wish there would be cars more quickly.

Submitted by yeison15 on Sat, 03/21/2020 - 17:37

Personally I would say that it is a unique experience but that nevertheless has its risks, so I would hesitate a bit to be inside one but in the same way I know that it must be too safe to have implemented it worldwide.

Submitted by soyyo07 on Sat, 03/21/2020 - 16:24

I would love a car that drives itself but nevertheless it is very dangerous since if there is a failure in the computer there is a great risk since there can be accidents and with it I follow great tragedies
Profile picture for user Raysan

Submitted by Raysan on Tue, 03/10/2020 - 15:37

I always want to a driverless car because I'm too lazy to drive a car.=D

Submitted by modiii on Fri, 10/11/2019 - 18:43

Personally, i’d love to own a driverless car. Although at some times it might me a little dangerous at the driver would like to take control the car.

Submitted by JDUC on Thu, 09/19/2019 - 07:49

I like driverless cars but people still need to control the car in some dangerous situations
Profile picture for user Fenris

Submitted by Fenris on Wed, 05/09/2018 - 06:35

I personally don't think driverless cars are a good idea. It just seems to risky and dangerous. I also agree with the point about ethics. How would the computer react? How should it react? Again, seems too risky to me.
English courses near you