Science and technology

Going back to the Dark Ages

15
CharlotteM

I am a time traveller. At the moment, I am talking to you from the Dark Ages, where science and technology has been forgotten.

Well … not exactly. But it sure does feel like it!

About two and a half months ago, my computer broke and I have been living without one at home. The only time I can use a computer is during my breaks at work. The man in the repair shop said it would be more expensive to fix my computer than to buy a new one!

Now, I can admit that I am addicted to the internet. I spend hours and hours of my free time watching funny cat videos on YouTube, scrolling through Twitter and playing video games with my friends online. When I was told my computer couldn’t be fixed, I was miserable! I don’t have enough money to buy a new one at the moment and I will have to wait until December.

I have been trying to think of things to do without a computer, but it is a lot more difficult than I was expecting! I got my first computer when I was six years old and I have loved technology ever since. Now that I am older, I use the internet all the time. It has taken a while but I am starting to get used to living without easy access to the online world.

This experience has made me realise just how useful computers really are. I use the internet for schoolwork, shopping, and all my banking is done online. Without the internet, it feels like you’re missing out on something. I miss being able to talk to my friends without having to wait until I am at work to use a computer. I do still have my phone, but international calling is very expensive!

However, it’s not all bad. I am sleeping a lot better now and I have been baking a lot, which I love but never used to find enough time to do. I might need to find a new hobby soon as I am eating a lot more! As much as I miss my computer and look forward to getting a new one, it has been good for me to have a break from the internet.

Living without a computer may not be as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I am ready to leave the Dark Ages and return to the 21st century!

What would you do if you had to live without the internet?

catastrophe's picture
catastrophe 27 June, 2017 - 18:15

Internet has been a part of me ever since I could understand moving pictures. When I was younger, like two or three, I used to play educational games on the computer. And even watch movies and cartoons perhaps. You wouldn't believe it, but I still have the Dora the explorer game CD. Without the internet, I would read, draw, sing and do as much as I could. I think I can manage without tech. It's just that it's gonna be a bit wierd... /:((((

Aliceinthewonderland's picture
Aliceinthewonderland 27 June, 2017 - 15:43

Sometimes,I wish I can manage to live without the internet, not just because of wasting time on computer games but also it may hurt our eyes when we stare at the screen for too long.

m7trf16's picture
m7trf16 6 December, 2016 - 16:48

I wish to try live without internet or smart phone. Some researchers say life without internet is very good. You'll find out you have a lot of time to do anything. Also you will feel relaxed and comfortable sleep.

sanpai28's picture
sanpai28 2 December, 2016 - 11:08

If I had to live without the internet, I would do the same what people did at times when there was not internet! ;D

Manaly's picture
Manaly 19 September, 2016 - 17:26

Yeah Internet is so important and it give us a chance to entertain ourselves but it also has negative sides. I really miss the days where the family is connected to each other strongly.

cat05's picture
cat05 11 June, 2016 - 12:39

Internet is very important to me. I can do difficult homework or relax by play games. I can also find gift ideas for my family. Without internet, I think it will be better for my eyes and prevent me from addiction. I will play more outdoor games, read books and listen to music.

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 3 January, 2016 - 09:37

Read books, listen to songs brought from stores, but it would cost a lot, be creative, spend the time lese where, riding bicycles, socialize, spend time talking with friends, play cards and other games, study.

But internet is bit difficult to not be without. he's like a brother who talks to you about a lot of things everyday, every time, anywhere, anytime.

sona's picture
sona 8 December, 2015 - 13:26

Internet is very important in my life. When I was young,I spent the whole time playing computer games,playing computer games and again playing computer games. It was the way of my excitement and I had more free time. However,now I am trying to manage this,because I am busier. I use my internet just for my homeworks or for visiting this useful site to improve my English. This way,I don't think life without internet would be very different for me. Nevertheless,as I said in the beginning Internet is an important part of my life,and without it a part of me would be missing.

CharlotteM's picture
CharlotteM 9 December, 2015 - 11:39

Hi, sona!

I completely agree with you, I have a lot less free time now than when I was younger. It is very important to use the internet wisely! We can manage life fine without the internet, but the internet makes it a lot easier!

gianggiang 9 December, 2015 - 09:55

Hi sona, you were fond of playing video game, weren't you ? Have you ever played Flappy Bird ? : ))).

It's good that life without the internet wouldn't be difficult for you, Me too. Real life is much more important than unreal life, and it's great if we can spend time suitably !

Giangdawn.

gianggiang 8 December, 2015 - 08:16

Now, thanks to the internet, I can study online !
If I had to live without internet, I would study offline !

CharlotteM's picture
CharlotteM 9 December, 2015 - 11:41

The internet is great for studying, but I agree that you can study without it! Sometimes studying offline is better, since you have less distractions!