Science and technology

Online volunteering

9
IainG

Technology is everywhere.  We see it any place we go and, in fact, almost all of us carry some piece of technology with us every time we leave the house.  What I always forget, though, is just how useful and powerful technology can be when we want to help others.

There is not a single room in my house that does not have some gadget lying around in it.  Whenever I am at home, providing that I am not sleeping, I am almost always using at least one electronic device.  If you walked into my living room on any given day, you would find that, first, I have the television on (along with the other related appliances, such as the DVD player or my current favourite games console). At the same time, even though multi-tasking is definitely not my strongpoint, I usually have my laptop resting on my knee, or I will be using my tablet or mobile phone. In the background, the technology that I am not using will most likely be on charge somewhere in the house.  Even when I’m not at home I am constantly using my phone, and at work or in cafés, I sit down and connect to the local wireless network on my laptop.

I must admit, though you have probably already guessed it, that I waste a lot of time on the computer and the time I spend on it could be much better spent if I were to commit to a little online volunteering.

The technology we carry about everywhere can have a great power to do good for the world and to help others and recently I discovered just how much online volunteering there is to do in the world.  From using your language skills to do translations, to developing and managing projects and helping with IT work, there is so much that so many people can do to help people in their own countries and across the world.  The United Nations, in fact, has a huge page on its website designed for recruiting volunteers. 

This work can support the poor and help charities who otherwise would not have the funding to pay for staff.  Many organisations only require you to work an hour a week – some even less.  And the support provided by online volunteers can really help make a difference to those in need. 

Note from editor: the United Nations website about online volunteering that Iain mentions in his post can be found here: United Nations website about online volunteering.

Have you ever heard of online volunteering? Would you like to be an online volunteer? 

Pashaa's picture
Pashaa 17 August, 2014 - 13:43

I have never heard online voluteering I think,this project is very good(online voluteering)because the technology espically (internet) help many people work and Students use computer and internet for homework :)) I would like maybe :))

aktoty_nis's picture
aktoty_nis 30 July, 2014 - 11:44

I've never heard about online voluteering . Thanks for the useful information! I think all people who like to help certainly like this work. And I'd like too)

cklj's picture
cklj 19 June, 2014 - 18:46

I've never heard of online volunteering before. I'm surprised and glad to find out about this. I'd love to be an online volunteer, because I enjoy helping others.

SemaSou's picture
SemaSou 11 June, 2014 - 20:57

Life isn't only about having fun and enjoying oneself , people need to prove themselves and to make a difference in this complicated world where conflicts , epidemics and wars are more and more envading our lives. One of the most efficient ways of doing so is volunteering and the on-line volunteering is as appears in this article a new form of volunteering that came with the envasion of new technologies and the growth of their importance in everyone's life. this was one of various ways of adjusting with the new style of life and it seems to be really efficient and promising...

GerardG9's picture
GerardG9 10 June, 2014 - 03:15

technology is very important to us, we can make life easier as our tasks, daily activities and even our food.
find a job in internet is very effective and you find many institutions that request.

Alyatarasaky's picture
Alyatarasaky 5 June, 2014 - 17:34

Yes, i've heard. But I don't want to be an online volunteering, because it's look like difficult to me.

Tina - Coordinator's picture
Tina - Coordinator 4 June, 2014 - 14:22

Dear GerardoGG,
Thanks for your comments on LearnEnglish Teens. This website is especially for teenagers aged 13-17 years old but it sounds like you are older than that. You are welcome to keep on using LearnEnglish Teens but if you are over 17, please do NOT post any more comments as we must keep this strictly for teenagers to interact with each other. You are welcome to join our LearnEnglish page for adults and post comments there.
Best wishes, Tina (LearnEnglish Teens Team)

GerardoGG's picture
GerardoGG 4 June, 2014 - 01:29

The technology helps us a lot in our work, daily chores and activities, in the morning I take a coffee and turn on my computer to do my work that I have for today.