Science and technology

Take a break from technology

17
RosemaryM

In today's world we are constantly surrounded by technology. It's true to say that technology makes our lives easier. However, increasingly scientists are saying that we need to give ourselves a break - otherwise we put ourselves at risk of developing hundreds of health problems. Over the summer the days are longer, sunnier and free from school. With all this free time, why not put it to good use and do something that doesn't involve technology?

To start with, you could learn a new skill. There are hundreds of possibilities: crafts, cooking, learning a musical instrument or a new sport. Maybe you've always wanted to try out that recipe, but haven't had time? Perhaps you fancy learning how to knit, so you can have a new jumper for the autumn? You could use your free time to learn something new - and perhaps it'll lead to an exciting opportunity in the future.

If you just fancy relaxing, why not head to a beach? Take along your favourite book and relax on the sand, or go for a stroll along the coastline (just make sure you're aware of the tides!). If you don't live near a beach, you could go to your local park. Why not take along a picnic, or try and identify some of the local wildlife?

Little things, like challenging yourself to complete a crossword or a Sudoku, are a great place to start. You could even get involved in the latest craze: adult colouring books! Colouring is surprisingly therapeutic, and it can be a nice way to escape from the stress of modern life!

Whatever you choose to do with your summer, try something new! You might surprise yourself and find a hidden talent within you; you might make new friends along the way. Next time you find yourself aimlessly channel-hopping, have a think at what else you could spend your time doing.

Do you ever take a break from technology? Would you like to learn something new? 

Oliii98's picture
Oliii98 26 July, 2016 - 13:53

Well, I spend a lot of time using my laptop, but I often use it do develop my skills, like drawing - my drawings are usually based on interesing photos found in the internet - and I can't imagine doing that without music, which of course need a device to play from.
But personally, im not really into phones being everywhere - I hate when I'm talking with a friend and he/she is looking all the time on his/her phone.
Anyway reading or doing sports can be a good break from technology which is of course needed.

Madara1's picture
Madara1 2 June, 2016 - 12:32

I take breaks from Technology but it is difficult to do it completely. Because Technology are everywere. But running and cycling is good way to take rest from it.

Forever_in__dream's picture
Forever_in__dream 15 March, 2016 - 18:52

Technology is everywhere! It's very hard to refuse it because you need it for study, talk to your friends, look for new information, and etc. Lately I've been using technology more often than usual in cause of my preparing for exams. It is exhausting me...so I think that breaks are necessary. When you don't use technology you can do housework, take a walk or simply lay with closed eyes to have some relax. And then time to study again. When I pass my exams, I'll take a break from technology longer and, likely, will be spending more time with my friends and family outside. But over and over I have to prepare for exams using my computer or phone with a pile of copybooks to get an excellent mark and enter university in the near future.

Martin159's picture
Martin159 28 November, 2015 - 02:46

rarely I don´t use the technology because I need it to do my homeworks and when I finish it I begin to play videogames but recently I am learning to play piano and studying english.

bojana13's picture
bojana13 28 August, 2015 - 13:55

Yes,I take a break from tehnologic.I go to the park with my friends and I play football.When I was to my grandma and grendfather house I didn't take my phone and I had fun because I was reading a good book.

kimnguyenVAS's picture
kimnguyenVAS 25 August, 2015 - 14:04

I agree with everyone because in my school lunch time, I see many students just look into their cell phones rather than talk with friends or play with them. During our school day, we are too busy for studying and we don't have time to play sport. So, me and my friends decide to talk about our lesson in the break-time or in the lunch time. We don't like to use the electronic during our free time because we don't want to lose our vocabulary.

cklj's picture
cklj 18 August, 2015 - 18:26

I take a break from technology when I'm reading, when I'm out with my friends and when I exercise. In the past during the summertime I was often painting: it's a good way to take a break from technology and also relax. I should do that again sometimes. I'm trying to take a break from technology as much as possible, but that's not very easy, because technology is everywhere around us.

patchyplum's picture
patchyplum 27 July, 2015 - 16:40

yeah its true.we should allow ourselves to think and plan our lives in a concept of anti-technology.as Albert Einstein has mentioned the day he feared that technology will surpass human interactions and develop a generation of idiots has reached....i really love to have a break from the nagging yet liveable companion technology but i 'm strongly determined to refuse it for a good book,whatever

iva10 26 July, 2015 - 14:09

Yes i take a break from tehnology.I don't realy like it because it's a bit complicated.I would prefer a walk in the park or reading a good book instead of being on the phone or computer.

meltem's picture
meltem 23 July, 2015 - 10:46

RosemaryM, thank you for your quick reply and opinions. I am living in a small city so unfortunately I have not many chances to gather with native speakers but recently a medical student came here from Romania by an exchange program. We are still talking to each other via social-media after she returned back. Pen pal is a good idea but I think it takes a long time for he/she turn you back by handwriting/posta? Also, carrying book beside you is not always practical on the other hand everyone has a smartphone by which you can download various kinds of language applications. All the ways for improving language are coming closer to technology at the end (for me at least). I agree with you it is apparent that it can have devestating effects on social life and interaction. We must be careful about not to exceed the dosage and we must take help of it for building positive and meaningful interactions like this:)

Redmars's picture
Redmars 17 August, 2015 - 16:12

Dear meltem,

yes, I agree with your opinion that recent technology,smart phone can help to comunicate each other.
But We have to remind that too much is not just as bad as too little.

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 24 July, 2015 - 17:30

Hi meltem,

That's great to hear! It is true - learning a language without technology can seem a lot slower. Sometimes it's worth it for a break though. You could also look at playing games in the language you want to learn - anything from 'I Spy' to a card game - as this can be a fun way of practising your language skills! 

congduy2001's picture
congduy2001 22 July, 2015 - 03:18

Every day I always send time not having technology. During these times, I play badminton or soccer, maybe hang out with my friends. They help me increase my physical health. It's usually good when you don't always have technology devices sticking in your pocket, do it?
I want to learn something more exciting and dangerous or scary. I don't know why but I've found dangerous sports interesting. Maybe epinephrine wakes up on me when I try something scary

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 24 July, 2015 - 17:33

Hi congduy2001,

Playing sport is a great way to take a break from technology and spend time with friends who share your interests! Lots of people like bungee jumping or other extreme sports as it gives them an adrenaline rush (this is basically a burst of energy). What sort of extreme sport would you like to try?

meltem's picture
meltem 21 July, 2015 - 22:34

Hello RosemaryM, I really deeply admire your essays. In every- each one of them I find something from myself, sometimes a topic, sometimes a word or a comment inspires me to do something new and interesting. I want to ask you about learning or improving a new language. How can we success it without help of technology if we have no chance of travelling abroad. Is there a better way that you recommend about this issue? Thank you...

RosemaryM's picture
RosemaryM 22 July, 2015 - 18:16

Hi meltem,

I'm glad you've enjoyed reading my articles! You've raised a good point there, as technology offers us many new and exciting ways to develop our language skills. However, there are ways to learn languages without technology. First of all, you could read a book in the language you are trying to learn. Beginners can try children's books to start with, to build up their confidence. Or, you could read something that you already know in your own language. Secondly, many people around the world have pen pals. Pen pal schemes are often set up by schools, and are a way of practising your written skills in a language. Finally, if you live in a big town or city, there will be people of many different nationalities living there. There might be a local club where you can meet native speakers and practise your spoken language skills. Technology is an important tool for language learning - after all, you can learn a lot from sites like this one! It's worth remembering that technology is only a relatively recent thing, and that people did succeed in learning languages before technology came along! Good luck with your language learning!