Science and technology

A world without technology

46
MeganC

Having recently moved country, I have been relying upon my phone as my sole means of communication with the world. You can imagine my panic, therefore, when I found myself cut off from this world of social media shortly after my arrival in France. Although I was reunited with network signal after a mere week, this experience has led me to question whether our modern-day reliance on technology is becoming unhealthy.

I often forget that androids and smartphones are very much a novel invention. Writing in light of the recent release of the iphone 6, it is hard to imagine that our parents would have been considered lucky to have a fully functioning television just forty years ago. Nowadays, to the increasing detriment of traditional forms of communication, we rely on our phones for everything. Our androids act as calculators, clocks, cameras, calendars and music players, whilst traditional forms such as the letter are fast becoming a thing of the past. Similarly, our once regular trips to the high street are slowly being replaced by the wonders of online shopping, whilst the  Kindle, for example, has become a popular alternative to the book. I can’t help but feel a little nostalgic about the latter especially; as a student of English Literature, there is nothing I like more than flicking through a traditional paperback book.

Additionally, I now notice more and more that the smartphone is replacing face-to-face communication. I regularly see groups of people in restaurants, for example, paying more attention to their phones than to each other. I can’t be the only person that thinks there is something inherently worrying about this; are we beginning to choose the company of technology over the company of other human beings?

Whilst I myself viewed my recent disconnection from social media negatively at first, I have to admit that I increasingly began to feel an underlying sense of relief. I was finally being forced to enjoy my own company and, dare I say it, there was something intrinsically nice about being alone.

What about you? Can you imagine a world without technology?

Ariyan's picture
Ariyan 17 April, 2019 - 17:58

At first any one could probably say that he or she can imagine a world without technology. Until they realize what technology really is and not just what they are used to calling technology, like phones, cameras, computers, or your air conditioner which is keeping you cool. But as far as I know, technology is anything ranging from language, sound, or even holding a rock to use as a tool. This makes me believe technology is vital for human survival because they choose to work with it instead of without it.

1 user has voted.
Ariyan's picture
Ariyan 17 April, 2019 - 17:40

We are living in a modern world. In this modern world we totally depend on technology. So a world without technology seems very difficult to imagine but it is not impossible. We mustn't forget that there was a time when people used to live without technology. So I feel that I am neutral in this case, because there are positive and negative aspects.

leo34's picture
leo34 17 April, 2019 - 15:47

World without technology is unthinkable.Technology plays a vital role in every sphere of life.Due to invention of mobile phone,we can call our friends,relatives and parents,no matter where they are.Thus, communication as well as coordination between our near and dear ones are maintained.Also we can communicate with foreign people and organizations,which is very important for the prosperity of our country.On the other hand, television and radio play an undeniable role in many purposes.We can know about recent occurences in the world.Moreover,we can get weather forecast and prepare ourselves for natural disasters.Thus many lives can be saved.Furthermore,television and radio also acts as a good medium of entertainment.Like this ,many technologies are coming to our succour and helping us to lead a beautiful life.So,I can’t but say that,without technology, our dream of having a beautiful life would be shattered, and we would remain in darkness.

KingOfNoobz's picture
KingOfNoobz 17 April, 2019 - 15:39

Technology has surrounded us completely.So, people can't imagine that. But It help us to do almost everything like searching, surfing on websites and gaining information of almost everything. So, I think we can't let go of technology.
Yeah, I believe today people are using it crazily. we have to stop being addicted in technology. Because it was made for good reason , not for bad reason.

1 user has voted.
May1's picture
May1 17 April, 2019 - 15:35

Technology has made our life easy & enjoyable but nowadays many people are addicted to social medias. No doubt it's a blessing in this modern age but many people are using it too much and losing their emotions, affections, cooperation and many good qualities. Using it too much is nothing but wasting our valuable times. One should read book, watch movie, spend times with friends at leisure. These can make our life more meaningful and we can enjoy ourselves. But still have to say that, importance of technologies are immense.

marshmellow's picture
marshmellow 17 April, 2019 - 14:27

We have become over-reliant on technology and we can not even imagine living without technology .It is a nightmare for us ..Life would be better socially without technology but technology has made our life easier and we are used to it .As we are the humans of 21st century it would be very difficult to live without technology.

Mandela's picture
Mandela 17 April, 2019 - 13:59

Technology has become a vital need for the modern era and surely a world without technology really seems very hard! And for me (obviously not only for me) it's impossible to live without technology. Thanks to Sabiha Mam for suggesting me the article. Hope you like my feedback. Thank you

Junecat17's picture
Junecat17 17 April, 2019 - 10:59

Obviously technology has changed the title of the world. Now It's called "Modern World". In this world, almost everything is based on technology. It has both good and bad sides. We need to have clear ideas about It's effects. As it’s contribution and usage is everywhere around us, so we need clear concept about technology.

1 user has voted.
Mandela's picture
Mandela 17 April, 2019 - 14:02

I agree with you. Like every other things, technology has both good and bad sides. It depends on us that how we let it impact on ourselves.

June1's picture
June1 17 April, 2019 - 10:56

Technology is a much needed thing of the present and future generations. It is so much important that almost everyone think that technology is life. But there are some bad effects of it as we know that everything has good sides and bad sides. We need to take the good things that it is giving to us and throw the bad things that it is giving to us. It's our duty to protect ourselves from any kind of harmful things.

1 user has voted.
Snake's picture
Snake 16 April, 2019 - 18:13

Everything has good sides and bad sides. Technology has good sides and bad sides. We are leading a much happier life than our past generation because of technology. It has changed the world and emitted darkness that was existing before the invention of technology. So we must say technology is an essential part of our life. But the excessive usage of technology is harmful and dangerous. It is our duty to be careful from the bad effects of technology as it is an essential part of our life.

DANIIII's picture
DANIIII 12 July, 2018 - 20:05

I do not imagine a world without technology since in this time it is indispensable in many aspects to communicate so any emergency that might happen we could solve it faster also it helps us to learn new things without the need of a teacher.
To move us, in the aspect of health it helps to save lives.

dianaczgoon's picture
dianaczgoon 12 July, 2018 - 19:59

Technology has many effects. It has helped develop more advanced economies and has allowed the rise of a leisure class. Many technological processes produce unwanted by-products known as pollution and deplete natural resources to the detriment of Earth's environment. Innovations have always influenced the values of a society and raised new questions of the ethics of technology. It keeps us communicated with the rest of the world and you know or what happens in other states, it's easy to learn and do things.
I think that the world would be chaotic, there would be more violence and ignorance before the things that would happen

Joat's picture
Joat 12 July, 2018 - 19:54

Currently, the technology is very necessary for daily life because we do use of all the contain technology. it´s use in the hospitals, school.

TKarina170696's picture
TKarina170696 12 July, 2018 - 19:51

Will we live without technology? I think that in this moment the technology it's very important because help us discover new tools, medicament, things that make us live better.
For example new equipment in the industry, that reduces failures and makes work safer.
I think that technology is very important in the life of the a engineer.

mike12's picture
mike12 12 July, 2018 - 19:51

the technology is necessary for all the peoples in the world.
Our world will be how before , all will be more slow ,for come back at the school there would not be cars , nor cellphones . the life will be more boring.

Garcia2405's picture
Garcia2405 12 July, 2018 - 19:51

i can imagine world without technology, it would be calmer and everyone could live together, many problems of attention to people, would be avoided but communication would be imparied.

RodrigoReyes201295's picture
RodrigoReyes201295 12 July, 2018 - 19:51

A world with out Technology is an idea for good and the same time for bad, because the technology was created to help the human's activities, but unfortunately some technology is have used to hurt the people, and damage the world like weapons, hackers, etc.
What will be a world with out technology, will be a hart live because the work will be more hard but the live will be more peaceful

jorgematni251's picture
jorgematni251 12 July, 2018 - 19:50

The technology is a very important in the city of mexico because is necessary in the world for lives for example cellphones, tablets, computers in the school, communicate with friends and fathers everyday.
I am losing communication with my fathers because i don´t computer in my house and is necessary speak, the people would bought more technology as telephones for a better interaction.

karina26's picture
karina26 12 July, 2018 - 19:50

The technology is completely important for the people because We can have access to internet in the currently. The advices mobiles they are very important because we can have communication with others persons in the word of different places, cities or countries. Living with the technology is very fantastic and need.

MilanAnni's picture
MilanAnni 12 July, 2018 - 19:50

Currently the technology is matter in the social and the sciences because the technology has created new opportunities to advances to future. The technology make activities easier on home, job, school. and scientific progress.

Ban's picture
Ban 12 July, 2018 - 19:50

Thechology is really necesary every day, during the day we can find it in clothes, gadgets, builds, food, medicine, fun, practically in evereythin. So, if try to imagine a world whith out technology is like come to primitive time 'cause we woldn´t have the same development and a confotable life. Anyway, we can live with this, but no one wants and wishes that... I guess :V.

1 user has voted.
buzz's picture
buzz 12 July, 2018 - 19:49

I think that the technology is important in this times, but the humanity does not give a correct use
If the technology don´t exist, I may have have read many scientific books, the humanity think of the progress, and they work hard, We could have had correct information

The technology is good to the progress for example in the medicine.

1 user has voted.
beatifullcreeper's picture
beatifullcreeper 12 July, 2018 - 19:46

I think that the technology has solved many problems of the humanity, However I can't imagine a world without technology, the diagnostics of cancer or the surgeries are possible with technology, if the human hadn't invented the technology our life wouldn't have easy

1 user has voted.
Fluffywaffles's picture
Fluffywaffles 8 September, 2017 - 23:50

Living without technology? Sounds pretty difficult, taking on consideration that we make use of technology even before we start our daily routine. Just imagine not having your cell phone near your bed, early in the morning to be used as an alarm clock and wake you up; or not being able to call your parents to pick you up from school at the end of the day.
Nowadays, most of the governmental systems’ information is stored on computers; multiple transactions are made day by day on special machines; we should not forget about transportation and media. If it wasn’t because of technology,, we would not have a way to keep ourselves informed: from economy, conflicts and culture around the world to meteorological predictions, going through trends and entertainment.
Sad thing is that certain part of technology is turning people into useless beings. As time goes on, we are more likely to stop doing the things we used to do because technological advances are supplying human actions with gadgets improved to be better at tasks humans are used to accomplish.
In conclusion, technology is not only about smartphones and smartcars, but about advances in health, politics, and a huge contribution to spread culture across the world. Everything is made up of technology: clothes, food, medicines, etc. We can definitely reduce the use of technological devices but we just would not make it through life without any technology.
It is not a threat to human coexistency, we all need to learn that we can use technology while being with someone and still preffer to pay attention to them.

Eduardo123's picture
Eduardo123 8 September, 2017 - 20:00

Our current world is surrounded of technology, and all of us live with it. Personally I consider that I couldn't live without my phone or my laptop, especially my phone I use it everyday and not just for entertainment or communication but for my studies and homework. If I got into a situation like that I think I would force myself to read or go out.

One of the good sides of being disconnected is that maybe we could get to know others, explore some places in your city. For young people it may be boring because of the lack of culture in the recent decades. When I was like 10 I used to play with my neighbors even tho I was born in the 2000 I had a childhood shared with my neighbors. Also there's a big probability that the new generations never enjoyed the sun and the friends.

In the other hand the technology is the basic of the culture nowadays, with the smartphones and the computers we now have an easy way to communicate, entertainment and get informed. That's why I think that a world without technology would be impossible to get used to.

GryffindorTrainer's picture
GryffindorTrainer 8 September, 2017 - 18:43

Electronic devices are everywhere, and no matter how hard we try to ignore them, they have now become an essential part of our human necessities, for that I will discuss on why I believed technology will result on the death to us all.
9
It's making us even lazier than we already were. As the years go on forward, we have invented many incredible devices and ways to improve our daily life's problems, some improvements includes the microwave, toaster, the w.c., and those few examples are a big beneficial, which I admit are a great way to make things easier, but too much good can hurt, and with just the recent prototypes of robots, we can imagine scientist using them to do simple things human beings can easily mange such as cleaning, cooking and resolving math problems, at first glance this look like no big deal, but if this continues to grow even stronger this century we will encounter a time were robots are used to do basically everything for us, instead of human beings been capable of doing them. Another thing hat I believe is affecting us with technology is the great amount of information that's available on the Internet, giving away a lot of false information to people, resulting in huge misunderstandings and conflicts in the cyber world, with these two main problems is no wander why so many people is trying to remove their accounts to Internet because of the threat of getting wright info and making people mad.

GHX's picture
GHX 7 September, 2017 - 19:50

I think the technology has become something that we depend on nowadays, we have been depending so much in or cellphones, computers and other electronic devices, we can say that we have become addicts to technology and there´s some people who can't live without using an electronic device, i'm not against the technology, on the contrary I'm in favor of technology, I just think that all people could know how to use their devices, because we know that everything is good, but not in excess.
obviously technology has "facilitated" us to perform some actions that at that time was a little more complicated to do or find, as for example, a student at the time of studying back then one came to the library from either the school or one that is outside of it, now everything is much easier to do and find with the help of telephones or computers, simply and simply if one wants to look for either a definition, an article, or a book. Now only enter the computer finder or phone, type in search engine what you want to study or read, and go.
Also the social networks, these can be seen in a positive and a negative way, for example the positive way is that now one can send messages from the other side of the world, can make calls and video calls, which is very good since is a very useful tool. But in other cases there are people who overdo it and spend it all day by the phone, because I think this is a bit bad is because of the fact that it has been losing communication between people, there are more people than not leaves from home and even today you can see people, families and couples in restaurants without even speaking the word.
So I feel that I am neutral in this case, because there are positive and negative aspects

Crossaint's picture
Crossaint 7 September, 2017 - 19:50

The idea of living without a cellphone may be really awful and horrible for some people. Normally we are used to this electronic devices, learning how to use and live with them. It will be a great change but it is not a big deal. Of course, we used them a lot of time, because they are like tiny computers, but most of the reasons why we use cellphones is for entertainment. We could use other things for entertainment like television, videogames and going out with friends. If we talk about knowledge and information, books and computers still work. Maybe we will need more things but still, it is possible to live without cellphones. This is not talking about all the types of technologies, only about smartphones. In case that it is about technology in general, of course it is not possible. Technology is not only cellphones, also machines for hard work, health care, information. Survival would be dangerous if we did not have the technology we have today. Cellphones are more of a personal good, but in reality, they are not that important. We could still live and be happy without them. The process of leaving the smartphones would be a little hard, the first days maybe we would not notice that much. Days later we would feel the necessity of using it but at the end, we would get used to that. If our parents didn't have smartphones or even phones when they were children, we can also do it.

517195's picture
517195 7 September, 2017 - 19:50

Nowadays, technology is part of our everyday life, and our world, practically everything we do from the most simple of things, like making a meal requires technology, sometimes I leave my phone or computer for a second because I have to do something else and I start to think, what would I do if I didn't have my phone, or my computer, how would I have fun without playing video games, how would I do homework without word or powerpoint in my laptop or simply how would I be able to sleep in the warm nights with out my air conditioner on, I start to think about how bored I would be, and how would I even live without it. Its imposible to live the way we are currently living without the technology we have, and If technology would have never been a thing, I don't know if we'd even be able to get passed the middle ages. In my opinion its imposible for technology to not exist at all, because, we don't create technology just because we want to create technology, it has never been that way and it never will be, technology has a purpose, make our lives easier. Technology is created when there is a problem, in our world there are a lot of problems, so there will be a lot of technology, if our world were a perfect world, in every single way, technology would have never existed, because we wouldn't need it, it would be useless

Osmara's picture
Osmara 7 September, 2017 - 19:49

Writing about this topic on my smartphone is quite interesting. I personally think that technology has come to stay; in our schools, in our offices, in our homes, in our lives. And it should not be something to be afraid of. The reason behind technological development is problem solving. People looking for ways to make things easier for other people. And then making those already easy things, already easier. It sounds wonderful like this, doesn't it? The problem starts when we stop putting effort in the things that we do. Everything is so easy than now we don't want to invest ourselves in anything. And especifically talking about phones (because the text is mainly about them), we can see how it is slowly degrading our capabilities. Instead of congratulating someone personally on their birthday, we send a "Happy Birthday" through text message; instead of learning how to cook something through practice, we look for the recipe on the internet; instead of taking the time to meet someone, ask for their number and go out, we sign in Tinder and hope for the best.
Phones get wiser and people gets lazier. That's when boundaries have to appear, and we have to establish how much are we going to let technology be a part of our existence, and what are we going to let it take away from us.
Whether if it is a happy birthday hug, some burnt recipes, or the magic of falling in love the traditional way, smartphone technology takes away from you more important things than just time.

Kuroko's picture
Kuroko 7 September, 2017 - 19:46

I think that the technology is a good thing, but how are we using it, is a little excessive and unnecessary, it was invented to make things easier, to facilitate certain activities, but we are using it to other purposes. It has become a daily part of our life, the phone, the computer, any electronic device is already part of us but every excess in life is bad, just imagine, eating too many apples a day is bad for our health, and we are talking of healthy food, but it does not matter good or bat, it is an excess so it is bad. Here happens the same, the technology is not bad, it makes thing easier for humans, but using it too much is causing us to lose a part of being humans, like interact physically with each other, talk of funny things, of problems, a lot of things had been consumed, things that in the past were good. Play sports, have an appropriate time with your friends and family. So, what I am saying, is that the technology is good, and had let us to more innovated things, but just that, everything has a limit, and the one of the technology is when it interferes with our interaction with the real world, with the people we truly care about, and the people who truly care about us, so let use it, just when it is necessary, when it satisfy a real necessity, and not close the doors to the interaction with the world.

WyldWolfDragon's picture
WyldWolfDragon 9 April, 2016 - 23:20

At first any one would probably say "yes i can imagine a world without technology." Until they realize what technology really is and not just what they are used to calling technology, like phones, cameras, computers, or your refrigerator/fridge which is keeping your food from expiring anytime soon! But in reality(as far as i know) technology is anything ranging from language, sound, or even holding a rock to use as a tool. This makes me believe technology is vital for human survival because they choose to work with it instead of without it.

honey123's picture
honey123 30 November, 2015 - 11:24

Technology has a huge contribution in my life.whenever I feel bored or have nothing to do, i take my phone and start browsing the internet and read some articles. It feels great to use my time in a proper way since I'm learning
something new every time I browse.

dogiaphong13309's picture
dogiaphong13309 12 June, 2015 - 16:22

Technology is helpful. Can you imagine a word with out computer, cell phone, Wifi, ... Is crazy if you don't have those things!

I think that technology has become a vital need for the modern era and surely a world without technology really seems very dark! And for me (obviously not only for me) it's very hard to live in this world without technology!

Ken 13 April, 2015 - 14:05

I agree with you hadia. Technology is fun, but it's a lot of work to keep up with the constant changes!

Hi Ken! True indeed! There's a lot of work to manage and surely it's not possible without technology now-a-days!

Silvermist's picture
Silvermist 19 October, 2014 - 15:38

Well, having a look, at the modern world living with out technology even for a short while would be a hard trial as we have got used to it so much. But we mustn't forget that there was a time where people used to live without technology. So I think it would be better to adapt to life without technology as well.

WyldWolfDragon's picture
WyldWolfDragon 9 April, 2016 - 23:08

Of course even during that time they had technology, for example picking up a rock and using it as a weapon or tool is a form of technology, just like making a fire or just gathering food. :3 So good luck living without technology :P Of course we can live without modern technology although it may not be fun, lol.

jasminemeer's picture
jasminemeer 19 October, 2014 - 10:29

Recently my physics teacher asked me a question that,''Can we survive in this physical world without technology ?''.I said ''No''.But my teacher said,''Yes'',we can live in this world without technology,but i don't think so because our conditions,needs are varied in such a way that our lives directly or indirectly depends upon science or technology ,we become addicted to technology.Specially new generation can never ever lived without technology.
I might have committed few mistakes in above para because my English is too weak .So,don't mind

serap's picture
serap 18 October, 2014 - 17:25

Technology has surrounded us completely. So, I don't think people can imagine that! Because technology enables us to do almost everyting such as searching, surfing on social websites and using informations on Internet. Today, nearly everyting is done by Internet; therefore I think people cannot dispense with it!