Science and technology

Are we addicted to our smartphones?

63
KatiedeS

As part of the 'Facebook generation', we have grown up in a world where access to the internet is constantly at our fingertips and we're able to connect with people at the touch of a button. Nowadays, it's become increasingly common to offer guests the wifi password along with a cup of tea when they come round to visit. We have become addicted to our smartphones.

Of course, smartphones are undeniably useful and have revolutionised our lives in so many ways. Thanks to thousands of apps available to download, we're now able to do almost anything when we're out and about. However, it seems a shame that these addictive pieces of technology are slowly beginning to take over our lives. It's so easy to become dependant on our phones, whether it's to find your way around with the map application or even just check the time. As a result we're becoming more anti-social, choosing to consult the internet rather than talk face-to-face with other human beings.

Even when we're socialising, it seems most of us struggle without our phones at arm's reach. Phones were invented to keep us more connected, and indeed they have done just that. We can now get in contact by an endless list of social media outlets, yet this means we're starting to lack genuine contact with each other. People are connecting more and more across screens rather than in person, even when it comes to relationships - dating apps and websites are more popular than ever before. Recently, an artist released a series of images depicting people in social situations and edited out their smartphones and tablets. The result was a collection of powerful images that have, perhaps ironically, gone viral. They force people to wake up to the fact that we are no longer interacting properly with each other.

I'm not to say I'm any better (as I write this my phone is sitting across from me at my desk). However, I'm trying to use it less and less when I'm out and about. When I first arrived in France I didn't have any internet on my phone and it was actually quite liberating. Rather than constantly checking my phone for messages or searching for directions, I was forced to talk to people and find my way around independently. Next time you're out with your friends, put your phone away and see how long you can last without it.

Are you addicted to your smartphone? 

Pilot's picture
Pilot 28 December, 2015 - 19:41

I m a little addicted my smartphone. Because i cant share everything with my family or friends so i prefer tell my problems or happiness with virtual people. But i care them i think they also care me. Then i like play online games then re sometimes annoying because they all time want time. Finally music is my life. İ cant live without with music already my phone:P

Fressher's picture
Fressher 25 May, 2016 - 12:53

Yeah I agree, most people online seem so kind and it's so easy to make friends with the people online. PS: I accidentaly clicked report. Sorry... :p

yigit58's picture
yigit58 28 December, 2015 - 16:14

I dont think I'm addicted to my smartphone. However, my friends are always chatting in the whatsapp. I use my phone to listen to music, watching something, and checking my marks. I think we should be more independent from our smartphones. So, I think I am not addicted.

Dignity's picture
Dignity 27 December, 2015 - 15:55

Well this was so interesting....I can already imagine myself without an phone....it would be so weird...yes I know I will leave my phone for 30 min and then I would rush to go get it to see what's new in the world...so I admit that I am addicted to my phone...and we all are and there's nothing to blush for....it's okay there are always friends and family to take your phone and hide it so we're good.....

gianggiang 27 December, 2015 - 13:37

My mother doesn't allow me to use smartphone so,...I use my mobile phone as an alarm clock.
If I had a smartphone, I would be addicted to it !

Ken 24 December, 2015 - 04:30

Wow…. it's an interesting topic. Really? I didn't know that "dating apps and websites are more popular than ever before" … Do they have ones for teenagers??
(〃⌒∇⌒)ゞ
Well, am I addicted to my smartphone? No, but yes, but I think I can control myself. Use smarter rather than longer!
ξ\_(-_-)_/ξ 

CreepyL's picture
CreepyL 23 December, 2015 - 16:44

I admit that I am quite addicted to my smartphone. I have loads of friends all over my country, and I say it easily. It's just the truth, most of the teens, like me, are addicted to their smartphones, but probably they will never admit it. We think we are not alone while we're typing those stupid messages to our internet-friends, but we are ALWAYS alone, and we don't know that.
Now I'm trying to stop using that much the phone, but it's a difficult job. I try to use it only for ordinary things like, for example, listening to music.
I have a Facebook profile, but I never use it. I find it useless and boring.
I think that's all. Sorry for the numerous mistakes ^^"

bojana13's picture
bojana13 22 December, 2015 - 18:33

No I am not addicted to my phone.I share your opinion ,we should be more outside and talk to people.The Internet will destroy us,I know that we can talk and meet new people,but that doesn t mean that we should forget how to talk ,right?

4444's picture
4444 17 December, 2015 - 17:56

i'm not very addicted to my smartphone. that's true that I get connected most of time but this doesn't mean that I can't live without it. when I go out with my friends or my family I don't use my smartphone never because I want to spend my time laughing and talking not just looking to the screen of it while the others are enjoying their times!

iva10 17 December, 2015 - 15:05

No i `m not that much,but i do prefer to work on the laptop and when my brother is on it,then i use the phone.I use my phone to listen to music,do some quizes,watch something and find something if i need for homework but that is all.I don`t use it to much now,because we have much to study and all our marks have to be finished to thursday.And i don`t have a facebook profile i find it boring and in school i usually see kids picturing their selves on the phone and that`s all they do,and mostly their marks are bad.